Q&A session with the British Embassy Consular Team - ask your questions here!

Like many others with a current valid Thai Visa...I have become locked out of Thailand, and my property and my life there ......where I have been a resident 15 years....all flights now cancelled....luckily i have a work permit....

my Visa runs out on 28 August ...flights are scheduled to restart 29th August....Can I get an extension of 1 week ?

Due to the current Covid 19 restrictions we are unable to use the UK visa we got earlier this year for my wife. The visa expires in September due to it being issued/started 3 months earlier than our requested travel dates.

Will the end date be extended to all ow us to make the trip or will there be compensation/refund??

• Like 1

I am a UK citizen and live in the Philippines and have no home in the UK. Can the Embassy issue me a letter confirming this to meet the requirements of Immigration to allow me to extend my tourist visa from September 27, the Philippines, like all other countries in S. E. Asia, being closed?

56 minutes ago, brucefarang said:

My 10 year old sons English passport has expired (he has dual Thai/English citizenship) I emailed the Consulate back in March concerning renewal but have had no reply. Am I able to renew his passport still or must we apply for a new one?

Passport applications are nothing to do with the embassy, they are the domain of HM Passport Office.

Applications are handled by VfS Global as agents for HMPO..

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-british-passport-in-bangkok/#:~:text=To renew your British passport,Friday except for public holidays.

17 hours ago, MAJORUS said:

I have two pensions,The British State Pension and A British Army Pension Both are British Government pension but the British"Embassy"refuses to provide any letter for Thai Immigration certifying it's own government pensions WHY?? perhaps you should drop the word Embassy and call it a trade mission as that is what it is.

In the same position, I fully agree. The Embassy should be able to provide a letter of confirmation based upon the P60. Then there can be no doubts about the validity of UK income.

• Like 2

My question is whether the Home Office are intending to issue replacement visas for those Thai citizens who are already holding 6 month UK visit visas, but have been unable to use them due to covid travel restrictions. As In my case for example, I am British but we are holding valid  6 month visas for my wife and 2 children which we have been unable to use, and they will have expired before the current travel restrictions are likely to be lifted. I understand the Home Office are already issuing replacement visas (through VFS) for those holding 30 day visas, but surely there are far more people needing replacement visas who are holding 6 month visas. If they gave the go ahead it would simply be a matter of issuing a replacement vignette (through VFS) for a new extended validity of a further 6 months, which is how the 30 day visas are extended currently. Could the British Embassy please push the Home Office on this request.

16 hours ago, sirwilly said:

WHY are our British Old age State Pensions Frozen the date we leave the UK??. While they are updated in Countries like the Philippines, USA, and others ??.

The embassy is incapable of answering that question, it would be better if you sent email to the inquiry.

http://frozenbritishpensions.org/appg-for-frozen-british-pensions-launches-inquiry/

10 minutes ago, Dice Man said:

Totally agree.I have taken this to the Pensions Tribunal and LOST as the judge said " it is to expensive to fix"   as its gone on for over 20 years! This case was taken the the European Justice Court about 10 years ago and the lady nattowly lost! Time to do it again I think??

See post No 21

4 minutes ago, jungle johnny said:

What is to be done on the death of a Briton in Thailand? There is some info. on this matter on the Consular part of the Embassy website but it is dated 2013, surely out of date now. Where can I find relevant info,? Links please.

Aye, J.J.

Not sure what official response you will get but there is no need to get involved with the embassy at all following the death of a Brit...... they do nothing to help - it is not their function. Registering a death with them is possible - but pointless and expensive.

The British embassy are automatically advised of the death of a Brit and their consent is required to remove the deceased from hospital for cremation.

I have two pensions,The British State Pension and A British Army Pension Both are British Government pension but the British"Embassy"refuses to provide any letter for Thai Immigration certifying it's own government pensions WHY?? perhaps you should drop the word Embassy and call it a trade mission as that is what it is.

On the same topic as above, I also have two UK Pensions  - both paid directly into my Thai Bank account. The Annual Statement that I take to Immigration cleary states that the income items are "Pensions" whether it be my State Pension or my Private Pension.

The lack of embassy letter has caused me nothing but problems for my last two Extensions. Why can you not verify a Thai Bank Statement the same way that Immigration does?

• Like 1

I am heading to Bangkok next week to renew my passport. 

Please can they confirm what exactly is required for address proof? Does it need to be notarised? There is a lot of misinformation on forums. Is a letter from my employer with their address enough, especially due to the fact that the passports are not even sent to a home address which is what the proof is usually required for. 

I’m in the same boat. State + RAF pensions. When recently renewing my non O visa (retirement) I was asked to prove receipt of the military pension. Impossible when my annual statement comes from Equiniti (government agency) and monthly payments into the bank have some meaningless code. On the third visit, I took along copies of old photos of me in uniform, which seemed to serve, as I did eventually get my visa. So much simpler if the Embassy would continue to endorse income for those receiving pensions from government sources - which they should easily be able to validate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UK consulate needs to confirm that if a British citizen in Thailand registers it's details. Phone number address etc in Thailand  for safety reasons, that information can and is available to other UK gov dept/agencies in the UK ! I know this is a fact Mr Davison! Shouldn't you tell British passport holders if this if they are so naive to register ?

Edited by pixelaoffy