Q&A session with the British Embassy Consular Team - ask your questions here!

Why does a visitor from Thailand to the UK have to do 14 days quarantine on arrival in the UK? The stats would indicate that Thailand has handled the Covid-19 pandemic much better than the UK and has been complimented by the WHO which suggests to myself and several others I have spoken with that this stance when considering Thailand's close relations with China is more politically driven than health related ? 

1 minute ago, Chris657 said:

Why does a visitor from Thailand to the UK have to do 14 days quarantine on arrival in the UK? The stats would indicate that Thailand has handled the Covid-19 pandemic much better than the UK and has been complimented by the WHO which suggests to myself and several others I have spoken with that this stance when considering Thailand's close relations with China is more politically driven than health related ? 

Don't confuse quarantine (which the Thais strictly enforce correctly) and 'self-isolation' that the British do not enforce correctly.

I am on an extension of stay ( retirement) as over 50 but still working. 
Stuck in UK, cannot get back to Thailand to see partner and Thailand’s quarantine rules along with UK rules make that visit impossible. 

When my extension of stay expires, what are my options to renew as I can’t get into Thailand and I dont want to lose the 5 years it’s taken to get to this point. 

• Like 1

Again I see the Passport Question being raised numerous times and I shudder to think the HOOPS I will have to go through to get mine renewed. 

It is  a shambles that a UK Citizen has to possibly make two trips to get a renewal of pay over the top fdor an agent to get a renewal.

Before I used your system using HK ( Know that is no longer an option ) , simple and easy, even sending back to the UK Registered post would be more efficient I understand for a simple renewal , rather than use those cowboys you have farmed the job out to in Thailand . Whose attitude is certainly NOT CUSTOMER friendly , when I rang them I had to remind them that I was a British Citizen not some idiot which was how they treated me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

this time ,i just went to Britain on holiday and got a new passport while i was there ,far simpler ,as far as i am concerned we no longer have an Embassy in Bangkok

Embassys are not really necessary these days for regular citizens , we have not much use for them 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brucefarang said:

My 10 year old sons English passport has expired (he has dual Thai/English citizenship) I emailed the Consulate back in March concerning renewal but have had no reply. Am I able to renew his passport still or must we apply for a new one?

If your son has an old expired passport then it should be treated as a renewal. Full info and instructions here >>  https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

21 hours ago, PeeraponW said:

We were unable to use 3 visit visas for the UK due to the Virus situation.  As they will expire before the next opportunity to travel, will there be any compensation 

On a similar note, my wife and I have been returning to the UK twice a year for the last 10 years, so I applied for a 2 year multiple visit visa for her at a cost of $458 (why on earth they have to charge in US $ ?) My main concern is that she may never be able to use the visa or at best not use it to justify the cost.

Having had poor customer service from the Home Office previously I suspect the answer will be that the restrictions to travel were outside their control.

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

I am on an extension of stay ( retirement) as over 50 but still working. 
Stuck in UK, cannot get back to Thailand to see partner and Thailand’s quarantine rules along with UK rules make that visit impossible. 

When my extension of stay expires, what are my options to renew as I can’t get into Thailand and I dont want to lose the 5 years it’s taken to get to this point. 

A very valid question which will apply to many who are on retirement and marriage extensions. Can the British Embassy lobby Thai Immigration to make concessions on renewal of extensions?

• Like 2

I am an EU national. Married to a Thai for more than 30 years. We have children living and studying in the UK. Previously my wife was always issued a 5 year multiple UK visa. Last time just only a 6 month visa though.. May have been my mistake in trying to negotiate the visa jungle on your website. Is it possible to get a direct specific link to apply for a multiple long term visitor visa. ??

43 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

A very valid question which will apply to many who are on retirement and marriage extensions. Can the British Embassy lobby Thai Immigration to make concessions on renewal of extensions?

Or extend them at the Thai embassy of the country they are stuck in. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, PeeraponW said:

We were unable to use 3 visit visas for the UK due to the Virus situation.  As they will expire before the next opportunity to travel, will there be any compensation 

Or an extension or with revised entry dates

• Like 2

I am british stuck in the uk before I must return to my rotational job in europe.  Can my Thai wife handle our sons (16mths old) first passport application. I would be able to video call if necessary. So we could look at them meeting in the UK next rotation.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

this time ,i just went to Britain on holiday and got a new passport while i was there ,far simpler ,as far as i am concerned we no longer have an Embassy in Bangkok

This  is  what I do, I get the fastrack one  where  you turn  up on a  particular  day and get it  all done there and then, wouldnt waste  my  time with the comedy show in Thailand

22 hours ago, sirwilly said:

WHY are our British Old age State Pensions Frozen the date we leave the UK??. While they are updated in Countries like the Philippines, USA, and others ??.

I asked my MP the same question. He gave me the same answer as per the gov.uk website. I don’t think this is anything the Embassy has control of

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MAJORUS said:

I have two pensions,The British State Pension and A British Army Pension Both are British Government pension but the British"Embassy"refuses to provide any letter for Thai Immigration certifying it's own government pensions WHY?? perhaps you should drop the word Embassy and call it a trade mission as that is what it is.

I thought I had replied to this, but can’t see it.

I’m in the same boat. State pension + RAF (30 years service). When trying to renew my non O visa at Thai Immigration last week, I was asked to prove I had a military pension. Very difficult when my annual statement comes from Equiniti (government agency) and my bank statement shows an obscure code for the payments in. In the end, I took copies of old photos of me in uniform!!!

It would certainly help if the Embassy were to provide statements for government pensions which they can easily validate. Not hopeful though. In fact not hopeful the Embassy will do anything useful for British expats living here. And I’m happy for Thai Visa to pass that comment on together with my name, should they wish to contact me.  

Rather than embark on a pointless public relations’ exercise, they’d be better off staying in their offices doing something actually helpful. 

• Like 1

1  Throughout the period of lockdown, how would you assess the quality of communications with your citizens within the Kingdom, in comparison with other embassies, eg EU or Commonwealth nations?  

2  Why does the UK not see itself an "at risk" destination for return when the rate of infection is several times that of Australia, who will be issuing letters for amnesty continuance as they assess it to be risky.  

3  When did the embassy last transfer staff too/from the UK?

4  Since COVID, US passports have essentially no value as even Europe is closed to them - regardless of the infection rate of the country they reside in. What has happened to international co-operation?  How long do you think it will be before our UK passports are also junk.

5  How many chillis does the ambassador take in his som tam?