Ministry now aims to roll out travel promotions for expats in Thailand

webfact

They need US..........????????????????????????. This is the time to really stay home just to show them we don’t support the BS and until all the things they have in place against the Expats are in writing and stamp will be law, I would spend 10 baht in supporting the needs. 

But I do know some of you wimps di cks, are two faced. Well if the price is not the same as Thai, you would sell your soul for nothing just for them to say you are Still a sucker. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just got back from immigration and told after 7 years living here I have to leave the country before September 26th and do a border bounce and come back in as a tourist to get my Non O visa for retirement. Wouldn't it be better if you let those already living here to allow to change within the country?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Surely, there must be some educated people who are aware of the basics of economy, tourism, and general running the country in the country?  A number must have been educated ''abroad''?

There are plenty of them, and even quite a few within the government. Unfortunately, they are never the ones in charge.

2 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

They need US..........????????????????????????. This is the time to really stay home just to show them we don’t support the BS and until all the things they have in place against the Expats are in writing and stamp will be law, I would spend 10 baht in supporting the needs. 

But I do know some of you wimps di cks, are two faced. Well if the price is not the same as Thai, you would sell your soul for nothing just for them to say you are Still a sucker. 

That'll teach them, staying at home typing furious nonsense on an internet forum

whilst wimp ducks??? get out and about and generally have a nice life.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CLW said:

Are they now openly admitting that foreigners (tourists and expats) pay higher prices at hotels and restaurants than Thai nationals?

Why the need for special discounts then....

At hotels I pay the same as Thais. My missus books the room and pays on her credit card. My name is not mentioned until we check in.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, off road pat said:

You think "Farang" expats, but there are a lot of other Nationalities and ethnics expats in Thailand.

Japanese, Chinese, Philippine, Indians, Africans, Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese (Mianmar),...etc..

Actually that in the modern world the term 'expat' refers to retirees and other people who choose to live in another country. So in Thailand you are talking about westerners as there ability to live or even work here and that is based on a paticular type of visa or proscribed profession. The Laos, Kampucheans and Myanmars are classified as migrant workers, by the Thais, and as such are on different visas and also the types of jobs they are officially allowed to do is very different. You were looking at approximately between 3 to 4 million in 2019 from the surrounding countries. Bearing in mind the sort of jobs they are used in a lot of them get below the Thai minimum wage. Have you ever seen how some of these people live never mind the manner they are spoken to ? And you think this guy is referring to them. Any spare money these people has goes back home to their families.

Thailand has always been a heavily class based society, as many Asian cultures still are and as such when the authorities use the term 'expats' they are referring to us not their immediate neighbours. In fact I have never heard ordinary Thais talking about Laos or Kampucheans or as farangs, they are usually referred by their nationality in conversation. The term 'farang' is usually reserved for non Asians. 

I am surprised there are any expats in numbers still living in Thailand?

Only the Thai government promote it, every one knows it is one of the worst place to retire in the world!

Strange if this is actually true.

• Confused 1

On 8/5/2020 at 4:22 PM, ChipButty said:

I think I'll stay home not worth the grief 

Me too mate . 

The wife is due back from the village / Pattaya ,  this mounth ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 4:02 PM, JTXR said:

All the Westerners plus Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Arabs, etc., 2 million may be right. 

I imagine they're not including the three big migrant worker countries (Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos).

There referring to expatriates,not workers.

14 hours ago, Airalee said:

You were the one who started with the haughty attitude towards others ma’am....blubbering on about how long you have had your yellowbook and arrogantly dismissing those of us who just want things to be simple.  And presenting a Thai drivers license is about as simple as it can get.

If the department of immigration wants us to jump through hoops with 800k in the bank, insurance, form after form after hand drawn map after bank statements and photos etc in order to obtain a visa...fine.  

But....if they are now gonna come cap in hand, begging us to go out there and spend!....well...they can do it with a little more grace than the hamfisted ways that they handle most of their other bureaucratic <deleted> ups.

How can a Thai DL be simple for those that do not have one? What applies to one should apply to all, but as usual elitism raises it's ugly head again.

You should learn to stay in context with your references and if you find the Thai way of doing things unacceptable then there is no need to be here.

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Abbisit was educated in England

Correct, and where is he now? Where are any of the broad minded, progressive politicians with a good understanding of the world outside Thailand who had brief flirtations with power in the past? They have largely either been chased out, or never had the inclination in the first place to do the dirty street fighting and pandering to the yahoos that are still necessary to climb the political ladder here.

12 hours ago, Don Mega said:

At hotels I pay the same as Thais. My missus books the room and pays on her credit card. My name is not mentioned until we check in.

Not sure I understand. Presumably your wife has changed her ID card etc. to her married surname, which will be your surname. In that case the hotel will recognise that and know she is married to a foreigner. 

On 8/5/2020 at 4:13 PM, Guderian said:

We promise no double-pricing at tourist attractions, as long as you have your Thai drivers licence, yellow house book for your property, and form TM69 (notification of an alien entitled to generous discounts from the beneficent Thai government) properly certified by your local Immigration office.

Plus 300 baht each.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

How can a Thai DL be simple for those that do not have one? What applies to one should apply to all, but as usual elitism raises it's ugly head again.

You should learn to stay in context with your references and if you find the Thai way of doing things unacceptable then there is no need to be here.

Oh....so it’s not about fraud and accounting then anymore?  Once again....you were the one raising elitism bragging about your house book and stating that “people who can’t afford 700 baht for a hotel probably just stay home anyways”.  My passport or drivers license isn’t good enough but your yellow house book of 10 years confers some sort of special status?  And finally on to the old “if you don’t like it, go home”.   Lol.  

I have stayed in context the whole time.  

They need to keep it simple.  

What is so hard about that that you can’t seem to grasp it?  They already know who is in the country.  They know where we live.  There is no need to create a system that is set up to be so convoluted and labrynthian just so that people finally just give up.  But maybe there is....it saves them money.  “To hell with the economy...let it burn”. they must think.   

Ok...suit yourself.

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Not sure I understand. Presumably your wife has changed her ID card etc. to her married surname, which will be your surname. In that case the hotel will recognise that and know she is married to a foreigner. 

Missus does not always equal married.

In my case Missus equals girlfriend of 14 years.

Thanks Mr. Phiphat. Not interested!

I can get enough rock bottom prices in the internet. If I intend to travel, I will do it.

And I won’t travel more, because you now give me a discount on prices, they gouged up before. Not to talk about the red tape involved ...

What could tempt me to travel more:

Thailand has no local infections since >70 days, so adjust the rules accordingly.

Stop the police shutting down venues at midnight - I am a traveller spending money and left the kindergarten dozens of years before.

Stop that ridiculous check-in procedure in every shop and venue, where I go.

Stop that face mask rule - in this climate, it’s dangerous and only triggering bacterial infections.