Linux And Cat Telecom Cdma Internet

geoffphuket

I've recently subscribed to Cat Telecom's wireless CDMA internet service here in Phuket. It works reasonably well but the speed varies tremendously thought the day....still it's better than nothing! That's with Windows XP.

Now I'd thought I'd give it a try using debian based Knoppix. Problem is that it doesn't recognise my USB telephone/modem, a Huawei ETS2288.

The driver that's supplied with the package is only for windows and I can't get any response from the Knoppix forum or help from Huawei in Bangkok

Any ideas......Anyone??

Cheers in advance

Geoff

I did a spur-of-the-moment CDMA connection using a coworker's phone in the US before, and it was nearly identical to my existing GPRS method. His phone appeared as a USB modem class device, supported by the cdc-acm module, and I just had to get the special dial string from him to put his phone into the CDMA equivalent of GPRS mode, just as I'd had to search the web for the dial string to use with my Motorola GSM phones.

The first question is whether the OP's modem implements the standard USB modem device class or not. If so, then he just needs to dig around until he finds the special dial string to put it into the packet connection mode.

When all of this happens, the Linux host just speaks PPP with the modem and the modem exchanges packets over the wireless interface. Any old dummy username/password should work with PPP, in case it won't connect without doing any authentication. This is the part that always takes repetition to figure out: the wireless PPP is not a conversation with a remote ISP, as it is with old fashioned analog modems.