Cooking ‘chicken-in-a-pit’ a recipe for 2 years in jail, warns animal rights group

webfact

Here's the clip in question. He goes by the name of MOM TANAT DAEK - something like 'His gluttonous majesty'. Looks luk kreung.
Since the furore in the press, he's come out and said the footage was faked and only a representation of how villagers used to make this dish. He actually used two chickens, one for the shots buried in the pit and the second which they ate was purchased from the market.

13 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

... I've been reading Thai for 43 years. I have never met any westerner who speaks Thai well who doesn't also read it. ...

Larry, that you have.  In our Peace Corps Thai class after a few weeks, you'd write a two page essay in the time it took me to write one small paragraph.  And I still remember the time you called me in the U.S. years later, speaking rapid-fire Thai.  <deleted>?  You had me going.  I'll get even some day, 555.  I understand Joe Cummings got pretty fluent.

I worked with an American guy when we were doing the refugee resettlement interviews for the embassy back in 1979/80.  He hadn't been there long, but he spoke wonderfully.  My "Khun Ying" landlady in BKK swore up and down he was Thai when he called on the phone one time.  The guy was nearly a Catholic priest, then discovered Buddhism.  OMG, he could lecture in Thai about it.  The drunken Thai Army guards at the refugee camp would avoid him at the only eating place in camp.  He would start talking philosophy and they would all move away.  Pest repellent, LOL.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Motoko said:

Why are people laming Buddhism for this?

In any event, battery farming...

laming? Isn't that getting the sheep to the cliff edge in wellies?  And you don't need batteries (so I understand).

• Haha 1

Here's a million dollar idea.  You can have a roast chicken killed to your specifications before you order.

1)  Hit with a stick

2)  Choked (some of us do this a lot)

3)  Beheaded

Run with it.

And yes, "amazing" thailand... ????

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

Kai loom is not Thai.

Ok then, Mr Puccini. Why don´t you dig a little bit deeper into that fantastic comment of yours. Please feel free to explain to me what it is.

To me it´s a try to write the Thai language and words with a foreign alphabet. So, please to not come with the difference between the Thai alphabet and ABC. We all know that and what miserable changes that can do to the words, meaning and pronunciation.

So, come on now! What is it? Is it that a mystic unknown, never seen before, made up language only you can understand? ????????????

Edited by Matzzon

9 hours ago, phetchy said:
18 hours ago, Motoko said:

Why are people laming Buddhism for this?

In any event, battery farming...

laming? Isn't that getting the sheep to the cliff edge in wellies?  And you don't need batteries (so I understand).

Ha ha, there was me thinking it was something else, given the reference to Buddhism:

Laming is a commune in Bar Kaev District in northeast Cambodia.

I bet they don't have many wellies and definitely no sheep (perhaps goats though?)

source: https://www.definitions.net/definition/laming

On 8/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, quake said:

What a wonderful Buddhist thing to do to chickens.

amazing Thailand, the bottomless pit of cruelty to animals.

Go there WDT, 

No kidding!  I'm so upset that I'll wok my dog an extra 10 minutes today!