Child Laborers Toil In Thai Seafood Factories

Jai Dee

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sh!t make me so angry. I can't stand this place anymore. Good thing you never moved here Pepe.

There won't be any holding back when I move back home and I am asked "So, how was Thailand?''

I actually have a few ideas I want to work on once safely back in my hometown, nothing I would dare try here unless I wanted a bullet to the back of the head... Article dates from 2007 but still, thumbs up to the Reuters team, takes balls to do this on location. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

I have mixed feelings about Asia in general. I lived there for a long time and have seen some wonderful sights and met some fantastic people.

But I have also seen as many have, violence, corruption, poverty, shear desperation in the eyes of so many.

As a human being, I can not contemplate why you would do this to another human being.

Money is not everything. :o

These types are reports are always shocking to read. The exploitation of vulnerable people is a crime worthy of serious jail time. Those poor Chinese workers who drowned in Morecambe Bay, UK, and the others who suffocated in a truck coming in to England highlight that the LOS is not alone in hosting such crimes. But it is not the country or the culture that is doing this, but a few greed driven heartless scrotes.

I still hold on to the knowledge that in all countries the vaste majority of people are good, and that there will always be an element of evil in all cultures. Thanks for posting this thread Pepe and reminding those wearing rose tinted specs that they should take them off once in a while for fear of causing permanent visual imparement.

Edited by tourleadersi

There are many horror stories for sure and the people responsible for creating these situations should also be put behind barbed wire.

BUT, what about the countries these desperate people come from? If things were even a little better in their home countries, there would be no need for them to risk all and work in sweat shops.

UPDATE...with more bad PR news for the highly-suspect shrimp industry, with a not wholly unexpected defense of it from Thai media...

Sweatshop shrimp

A slick 40-page report financed by US labour unions on Thursday alleges slave-labour conditions in the Thai shrimp export industry with "common" sexual and physical abuse, debt bondage, child labor and unsafe working conditions. The report was issued by the Solidarity Center, which claims to be an activist group "promoting worker rights worldwide." In fact it is funded by and serves as a direct arm of the AFL-CIO, the biggest US labour group. It attacks the shrimp export industries of both Thailand and Bangladesh. Thailand is the world's largest shrimp exporter, and has been the focus of strong campaigns by US unions seeking to protect the tiny American shrimp industry. Meant to rouse public opinion in the United States, the report names some of the biggest US food markets for receiving and selling shrimp from what it calls "plants with substandard labour practices" in Thailand. They include Wal-Mart, the biggest US market chain. On Thursday, the report managed to win a pledge from Wal-Mart to investigate the claims of slave-like conditions in Thai factories. The report said that "collecting accurate information in Bangladesh and Thailand is challenging," but did not let that inhibit a list of conditions designed to show the industry in the worst conditions. Interviews with workers showed arduous conditions including "long hours, low pay, abusive employers, informal work, unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, and the vulnerability of migrant workers." The True Cost of Shrimp is available on the Internet in PDF format. Right click this link to download. Last year, Thailand exported about 200,000 tonnes of shrimp worth nearly $1.3 billion to the United States, almost three times more than the nearest competitor, China. In addition to alleged worker abuse, the report included a long litany of other problems it claimed were caused by the Thai shrimp industry: overuse of antibiotics, use of pesticides, and the death of sea turtles because of deep-sea trawling.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=127301

Edited by sriracha john

Wal-Mart and Costco said that none of their shrimp had ever come from Ranya Paew and that strict ethical guidelines for suppliers, as well as audits of processing units in Thailand, ensured that they complied with food standards and labor regulations.

Western companies involved with 3rd/developing world production facilities always trot out this kind of purile face saving bile when confronted with evidence of this kind of abuse. What it needs is someone to demand copies of these ethical guidelines and, more importantly, copies of the audit reports. Whilst I am sure the guidelines exist how strongly are they enforced or are they just guidelines and open to local interpretation. Who carries out the audits is another important question to be asked.

Even if audits are properly carried out and reported they are largely a waste of effort. I have been around a steelwork factory in Thailand the same day they were audited by a Japanese outfit for the supply of structural steelwork. I noticed straight away all the workers had bright yellow brand new safety helmets and shiny new safety boots. On my next visit things were back to normal, no helmets and steel toecap flip flops :o . When any company is being audited they spend at least the preceding day getting things in order - this is standard operating procedure. The only meaningful audit is the suprise unannounced audit when you get to see the reality.

As for the claim that "none of their shrimp had ever come from Ranya Paew" this again is just standard blurb trotted out to pacify their customers, or at least those customers with concience. They won't buy their shrimp from Ranya Paew, they will buy from an agent company probably in Bangkok who will source the product from the cheapest supplier so as to maximise profits.

Justice starts at home. For folks in the EU, they can stop exploiting the workers from the former east bloc or stop purchasing cocoa harvested by child labour in AFrica, for the USA they can give the Mexicans some respect, for the rich gulf states, they can stop importing child jockeys from Pakistan and abusing foreign workers................ on and on the list goes. We are all guilty when we seek out the lowest prices or fail to consider the origin and manufacaturing history of the products we purchase. Yes the story is horrible, but we can't change that. What we can change is the environment that allows such activities by conducting ourselves in a responsible manner.

Justice starts at home. For folks in the EU, they can stop exploiting the workers from the former east bloc or stop purchasing cocoa harvested by child labour in AFrica, for the USA they can give the Mexicans some respect, for the rich gulf states, they can stop importing child jockeys from Pakistan and abusing foreign workers................ on and on the list goes. We are all guilty when we seek out the lowest prices or fail to consider the origin and manufacaturing history of the products we purchase. Yes the story is horrible, but we can't change that. What we can change is the environment that allows such activities by conducting ourselves in a responsible manner.

Well said mate.

As for the claim that "none of their shrimp had ever come from Ranya Paew" this again is just standard blurb trotted out to pacify their customers, or at least those customers with concience. They won't buy their shrimp from Ranya Paew, they will buy from an agent company probably in Bangkok who will source the product from the cheapest supplier so as to maximise profits.

Yeah, I have a friend whose factory makes toothbrushes for Colgate Palmolive and another whose factory is dedicated to making plastic Christmas trees just for Walmart. Both are X00 million Baht a year turnover operations just for two rather boring products and both deal directly with Colgate and Walmart, no agents involved. They say all these companies ever want to know is if they'll meet production targets and shipment deadlines, otherwise they never visit and rarely call. It's all email correspondance.

Despite fairly 'recent' hypocritical ideals, this kind of business relationship has been the norm since the dawn of the industrial age.

:o

Edited by Heng

Fisheries in the UK, use child labour.

They catch their prawns, shrimps krill etc, ship them off to Thailand for shelling.

Hope nobody in UK buys UK crustatean products, which were most likely processed by child, or even slave labour in Thailand.

UPDATE...with more bad PR news for the highly-suspect shrimp industry, with a not wholly unexpected defense of it from Thai media...

Sweatshop shrimp

A slick 40-page report financed by US labour unions on Thursday alleges slave-labour conditions in the Thai shrimp export industry with "common" sexual and physical abuse, debt bondage, child labor and unsafe working conditions. The report was issued by the Solidarity Center, which claims to be an activist group "promoting worker rights worldwide." In fact it is funded by and serves as a direct arm of the AFL-CIO, the biggest US labour group. It attacks the shrimp export industries of both Thailand and Bangladesh. Thailand is the world's largest shrimp exporter, and has been the focus of strong campaigns by US unions seeking to protect the tiny American shrimp industry. Meant to rouse public opinion in the United States, the report names some of the biggest US food markets for receiving and selling shrimp from what it calls "plants with substandard labour practices" in Thailand. They include Wal-Mart, the biggest US market chain. On Thursday, the report managed to win a pledge from Wal-Mart to investigate the claims of slave-like conditions in Thai factories. The report said that "collecting accurate information in Bangladesh and Thailand is challenging," but did not let that inhibit a list of conditions designed to show the industry in the worst conditions. Interviews with workers showed arduous conditions including "long hours, low pay, abusive employers, informal work, unsafe and unhealthy working conditions, and the vulnerability of migrant workers." The True Cost of Shrimp is available on the Internet in PDF format. Right click this link to download. Last year, Thailand exported about 200,000 tonnes of shrimp worth nearly $1.3 billion to the United States, almost three times more than the nearest competitor, China. In addition to alleged worker abuse, the report included a long litany of other problems it claimed were caused by the Thai shrimp industry: overuse of antibiotics, use of pesticides, and the death of sea turtles because of deep-sea trawling.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=127301

Do you not consider that there might be some truth to this side of the story. US unions have been putting pressure on their government for years to restrict shrimp imports from Thailand. In response, the US government levied import duties on Thai shrimp that the WTO subsequently found to be illegal.

If it is true that the report was financed by US labour unions rather than human rights groups as first claimed, then it does put a very different light on the motivation behind the report and raise question marks about its conclusion.

Do you not consider that there might be some truth to this side of the story. US unions have been putting pressure on their government for years to restrict shrimp imports from Thailand. In response, the US government levied import duties on Thai shrimp that the WTO subsequently found to be illegal.

If it is true that the report was financed by US labour unions rather than human rights groups as first claimed, then it does put a very different light on the motivation behind the report and raise question marks about its conclusion.

If this was the only report accusing western companies of using third world sweat shops for production of goods for sale in the west I'd agree that it should be viewed in the light of the author's self interests. However these kind of reports appear fairly regularly thus we have to conclude there has to be some truth in there (no smoke without fire). In addition to that I am afraid we have to also add into the equation the ability of Asian people to use and abuse their own and other ethnic minorities [see disclaimer below]. We only have to look at the recent case of the suffocated Burmese in the container truck to see how little value is placed on another's life in Thailand.

[DISCLAIMER (Before the screaming banshees descend) : Yes I am aware that in the west we abused children and coloured people for hundreds of years. Yes I am aware that cases of abuse, forced prostitution and unregulated labour (e.g. cockle pickers), do occur from time to time even in the UK. However when these cases come to light the perpetrators are brought to justice according to the law and there are many laws that exist to protect the vulnerable. Just because our society did and, to an extent, does abuse the underpriveledged should not serve as a reason those practices should be tolerated anywhere in the world. There is no reason Thailand, or any other country, should not aspire to be better than the rest.

This sh!t make me so angry. I can't stand this place anymore. Good thing you never moved here Pepe.

There won't be any holding back when I move back home and I am asked "So, how was Thailand?''

I actually have a few ideas I want to work on once safely back in my hometown, nothing I would dare try here unless I wanted a bullet to the back of the head... Article dates from 2007 but still, thumbs up to the Reuters team, takes balls to do this on location. :o

------------------

Actually I have some regrets about not being able to retire in Thailand as planned. Interestingly it would have been in Samut Sakorn. That' where my ex's family is based.

They have huge land holdings and a lot of it is dedicated to rentals for workers at Cal Comp and other local factories.

I would see these workers coming home each evening. Mostly female, a very unhappy lot.

We, the family also had several buldings in Maha Chai and Kratumbaem.

All rentals for factory workers. this story was run on CNN this morning.

Although I was looking forward to retirement in Thailand, Lord Buddha obviousy has some other plans for me.

Actually I love Thailand despite being a bit of a "muckracker."

My heart goes out to them. I fantasize "knocking the <deleted> out of these abusers personally. but I'm getting too old for that sort of thing.

Never did like a bully.

What goes around comes around... :D

If this was the only report accusing western companies of using third world sweat shops for production of goods for sale in the west I'd agree that it should be viewed in the light of the author's self interests. However these kind of reports appear fairly regularly thus we have to conclude there has to be some truth in there (no smoke without fire). In addition to that I am afraid we have to also add into the equation the ability of Asian people to use and abuse their own and other ethnic minorities [see disclaimer below]. We only have to look at the recent case of the suffocated Burmese in the container truck to see how little value is placed on another's life in Thailand.

[DISCLAIMER (Before the screaming banshees descend) : Yes I am aware that in the west we abused children and coloured people for hundreds of years. Yes I am aware that cases of abuse, forced prostitution and unregulated labour (e.g. cockle pickers), do occur from time to time even in the UK. However when these cases come to light the perpetrators are brought to justice according to the law and there are many laws that exist to protect the vulnerable. Just because our society did and, to an extent, does abuse the underpriveledged should not serve as a reason those practices should be tolerated anywhere in the world. There is no reason Thailand, or any other country, should not aspire to be better than the rest.

Didn't you already know that Thai society is superior?

Didn't you already know that Thai society is superior?

----------------------

The title of my original post now lost and merged was "LOS my ars." :o

Even THAT is not the issue. Just because one points out that there is a protectionist economic motive to expose the unjust treatment of migrant workers and rampant child exploitation does not remove the fact that migrant workers are unjustly treated and children are being exploited.

Would it be better if Mother Theresa exposed them? The Sierra Club? Greenpeace? What exactly is your point regarding shedding a different light? It's perfectly normal to engage in tactics to eliminate your competition in any game you play. In sport it's called a foul and you use it to disqualify your adversary or gain advantages such as free throws and extra yardage. If you ran a restaurant and I ran a restaurant and you were selling dog meat and calling it beef, I would see that as my golden opportunity to get your restaurant shut down and off the playing field. Believe me...I would seize the moment.

The way to get around all this is to not sell dog meat as beef, keep your nose clean, be an example, unlike these morally bankrupt, slave-driver shrimp factories who have absolutely no remorse for their willful ignorance of labor rights and law.

Agreed - but at least also agree that this isn't just a 'Thaksin' thing and I'd agree even more.

I actually have a few ideas I want to work on once safely back in my hometown, nothing I would dare try here unless I wanted a bullet to the back of the head... Article dates from 2007 but still, thumbs up to the Reuters team, takes balls to do this on location. :D

Agreed - but at least also agree that this isn't just a 'Thaksin' thing and I'd agree even more.

I hadn't thrown Thaksin in the mix, but I'm now reminded of him repeating over and over to foreign media that he was now a second class citizen after the dissolution of his party and losing his right to vote for 5 years, while his country is festering with slavery and human rights violations. Shameless pr!ck. :o

I got to go to a dinner, in Taksin's honor, five years ago at the Thai Embassy in LA.

Security was incredibly tight. Dinner was great as was the wine and champagne.

At one point I got to meet him and shook hands. Chatted for a moment about my plans to retire in Thailand.

First impression, a real sc@m bag... :o

I actually have a few ideas I want to work on once safely back in my hometown, nothing I would dare try here unless I wanted a bullet to the back of the head... Article dates from 2007 but still, thumbs up to the Reuters team, takes balls to do this on location. :D

I hadn't thrown Thaksin in the mix, but I'm now reminded of him repeating over and over to foreign media that he was now a second class citizen after the dissolution of his party and losing his right to vote for 5 years, while his country is festering with slavery and human rights violations. Shameless pr!ck. :o

Yeah ok - I don't necessarily disagree with your take (or all your anti-thaksin postings). But I think you'd do yourself a favour by pointing out that this country has been FULL of that kind of crap LONG before Thaksin came along - and the only thing Mr. Thak-STING did is perfect the nonesense of the corrupt patronage system that is THAILAND by moving it away from the rich established families to others??

Yeah ok - I don't necessarily disagree with your take (or all your anti-thaksin postings). But I think you'd do yourself a favour by pointing out that this country has been FULL of that kind of crap LONG before Thaksin came along - and the only thing Mr. Thak-STING did is perfect the nonesense of the corrupt patronage system that is THAILAND by moving it away from the rich established families to others??

or to other rich established families, such as his own, or to mostly the same old rich established families ?

Personally I might have more respect for PPP/TRT/Thaksin-politics, if I thought it had had some real effect, moving some of the gravy onto the plates of the poor.

But getting them further into debt, legalising the 2/3-number lotteries but handing out the largesse as if it were his personal gift rather than the dreams of the poor in the first place, pushing through the 30-baht health-care scheme & then failing to fund it properly, handing airport-contracts to friends & family "to avoid corruption", I just don't see it.

I suspect his legacy will be mainly to have made the vote-block of poor Isaan-farmers more important, in the future, but the only actual benefit to reach them is the 200-baht-per-vote payment-as-usual. And illegal foreign/child-workers didn't ever get to share in that hand-out anyway. :o