help i waste money on internet

scammed

i started downloading maps, the idea was it was going to be for free through my hotels wifi

but instead its using my money on the smartphone.

how do i block it so it can only download through wifi ?

there was a thread about it not long ago but i cant find it,

i dont need or use internet outside my condo and dont want to <deleted> away phone money on it

Edited by scammed
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I have no idea how people can possibly waste money on mobile data anymore nowadays! Gomo offers 50 GB for 299 Baht and AIS has a flat rate of 10 MBit/s for the same amount. I'm sure other providers have the same kind of offers. Time to change your promotion!

9 minutes ago, me4175 said:

I have no idea how people can possibly waste money on mobile data anymore nowadays! Gomo offers 50 GB for 299 Baht and AIS has a flat rate of 10 MBit/s for the same amount. I'm sure other providers have the same kind of offers. Time to change your promotion!

Can foreigners sign up with GOMO?

Can you link to the AIS flat rate for 299?

46 minutes ago, me4175 said:

Free wifi at home in condo.

Free wifi in nearly every coffee shop/ bar/ restaurant/ bank/ barber/ shopping mall etc etc etc 

At other times it’s great being offline, although mobile still on for any important telephone calls. 

Therefore waste of money for mobile data plans for many in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, me4175 said:

Their Unlimited 10Mbit is 1100THB per month 

https://www.ais.co.th/package/en/package_net_non_stop.html

16 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Free wifi at home in condo.

Free wifi in nearly every coffee shop/ bar/ restaurant/ bank/ barber/ shopping mall etc etc etc 

At other times it’s great being offline, although mobile still on for any important telephone calls. 

Therefore waste of money for mobile data plans for many in Thailand. 

That is your opinion. I am not one of those guys that goes through the hassle of asking for free wifi. Just 300 bt and your done. I like it as it also helps quite well when I am in my car and want to listen to spotify (oh dear i pay for that too) and then use GPS in my car.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/15/2020 at 5:45 PM, scammed said:

its a smartphone / android system

Just turn Mobile data off under Settings and also chose downloads only through Wi-Fi.  I have had several Android phones over the years, and not one has turned on mobile data by itself. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is your opinion. I am not one of those guys that goes through the hassle of asking for free wifi. Just 300 bt and your done. I like it as it also helps quite well when I am in my car and want to listen to spotify (oh dear i pay for that too) and then use GPS in my car.

No “hassle” whatsoever. 

I never ask for a shop’s wifi password, always displayed. 

My car has GPS already fitted. 

All my travel music is previously downloaded. 

1 hour ago, me4175 said:

Very easy if you do not use or have any use for a data plan (like many or us who prefer computers to phones).  Inadvertent data use on mobile without a paid plan can be very costly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Very easy if you do not use or have any use for a data plan (like many or us who prefer computers to phones). 

Correct! There are indeed many  of us who do not have any use for a data plan. So many phone zombies out there. Sad really. 

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Very easy if you do not use or have any use for a data plan (like many or us who prefer computers to phones).  Inadvertent data use on mobile without a paid plan can be very costly.

??

What about those who have both mobile phones and PCs?

Your statement of inadvertent use is somewhat outdated. I have a package attached that cost me 30 baht, which gives me an 'always on' 64 kbps connection. So no chance for 'inadvertent usage' and I can also check my message when on the go. 30 baht one time payment.

1 minute ago, Nemises said:

Correct! There are indeed many  of us who do not have any use for a data plan. So many phone zombies out there. Sad really. 

Ridiculous to suggest cadging off free WiFi every time.

What's next? Looking out for balloons in order to get free food?

You are no different. You have a mobile phone and use it. The only difference is that you cadge off free WiFi in order to save money. But it's a fools game.