Thai Drivers License Using International Permit vs. USA License - Testing?

Thomas J

Went to the Land Transport Bureau in Pattaya to apply for a Thai Drivers License.  I did not bring my International Drivers Permit with me.  The lady said if I brought back the permit I could get a date in September but if I used my USA drivers license the date would be pushed out to October.  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE OTHER THAN THE LONGER TIME USING ONE VERSUS THE OTHER?  Also with the date, what happens?  Am I required to take a written test?  Is it a requirement to sit through a video? How Long?  Do I actually take a road test?  I see conflicting information with some saying only the USA drivers license is required and no testing, other sites say differently. 

Don't know the exact answers to the questions you're asking but... If you have international driver's license with 1949 treaty listed on it, then you would only need to do a colour and reflex test, take photo and get license issued. If you do not have it, you'd need to go through the whole procedure of acquiring driver's license like any Thai applying for the first time.

I'm not sure of the reason for the different dates. An international driver's license/permit usually is not a valid driver's license on it's own; it needs to be used along with a valid driver's license from the country where the international permit is issued, so I don't know what the woman at the Land Transport office is talking about.

Re: getting a Thai license: it used to be that you could bring your valid driver's license issued from another country and if it was in English, the Land Transport office would look it up to see what class of vehicles it was for and they would only make you take a reflex and color-recognition test and you could get a Thai license. A couple of years ago, I went with some friends from the USA to the local Land Transport office and we were told that they either had to get their US licenses certified at the US consulate or they could just apply for a Thai license like any first-timer would. To go that route, you have to sit through a several hours of video (in Thai), take a written test (can be done in English-you can find most of the questions/answers online) and then take a "road test" in the parking lot on the following day. We're far away from BKK so the friends decided it was easier and cheaper just to go through the procedure here as opposed to going to the US consulate. I did it for my motorcycle license and it was no big deal.

FYI: Check with the LTO where you're applying regarding the other documents you'll need. Most offices will ask for a copy of your work permit or if you don't have one, a Certificate of Residence from immigration as well as copies of your passport information page and the page that has your visa or entry stamp (if you don't have a visa) on it. You may need a medical certificate too.  Good luck.

If you have an IDP you only need to make the vision and reaction test (maybe watch a video), and you get the Thai license.

If you don't have an IDP (or a certified translation of your home country license) it's as if you don't have any license, thus you also need to do a theoretical and practical driving test.

I guess they don't have slots for the theoretical and practical driving tests in September, thus you would have to wait another month.

17 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

image.png.d6c533b44b60daa4e8eb2ceac6804c9d.png

Where did you find that 4-year old information?    No. 4, under 'document preparation', states that you have to provide an original invalid international driving licence.  An invalid licence?

The requirements of No. 3, under 'procedure', are wrong also.  Holders of an acceptable foreign licence do not have to undergo "1 hours training, 5 hours training, a theory and a practical test".

Edited by Hi Tea