How much trichloroisocyanuric acid 90% mix in water?

Tagged

I use rainwater for household only and the farmland. How much trichloroisocyanuric acid 90% (chlorine) should I add pr m3 to my rainwater tanks? I have been thinking about split my system and only use rainwater for the farm and only bore hole water for household, but at the moment everything is connected to each other. 

I see for swimmingpool it is 5g pr m3. Would that harm the plants and trees? 

...while you are waiting for a knowledgeable someone to respond might I suggest taking a look at past ThaiVisa posts using google search:

site:thaivisa.com searchword {addisionalsearchword} {additionalsearchword} {...}

there isn't much when using trichloroisocyanuric or trichlor as the search word, but this search brought up some responses:

site:thaivisa.com chlorine rainwater

• Like 1

A cubic metre has a weight of 1000kg.

Thus 5g would be equivalent to 5ppm. However the amount of Chlorine in trichloroisocyanuric is approx 46% ( using molecular weights ). Therefore the amount of Chlorine would be approx 2.5 ppm.

At this levelwould not be toxic to plants but would kill all the soil beneficial bacteria etc.

The other consideration  is what the trichloroisocyanuric converts to when hydrolysis .

is trichloroisocyanuric certified for human consumption.

As an edit , do not confuse chlorine and chloride. Although very similar they are different. Chloride is required by plants but not Chlorine

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Like 2

Cleopatra2,

As the OP states this is for rainwater (but doesn't state if the treated water will then remain in open or be in closed storage, do you know if there is a first-apply shock amount vs ongoing maintenance dosing for open containers, and how long before the 'chlorine' might offgas or otherwise convert?

Also for the OP, I noticed this in a google search:

Trichloroisocyanuric Acid (TCCA) for drinking water chlorination? (link)

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Cleopatra2,

As the OP states this is for rainwater (but doesn't state if the treated water will then remain in open or be in closed storage, do you know if there is a first-apply shock amount vs ongoing maintenance dosing for open containers, and how long before the 'chlorine' might offgas or otherwise convert?

The cyanuric acid produced inhibits the Chlorine from gassing off in presence of sunlight.

Excessive use would lead to a build up of cyanuric acid resulting in lower ph and possible dental enamel erosion if used for drinking purposes.

12 hours ago, RichCor said:

Cleopatra2,

Will be stored In tanks, and also used daily and the amount pured in to it, is just to do som bacteria control, not kill everything or shock the system since we are not going to dump anything. Guess I have to clean them after every season and seal them off until next rainseason, or pump well water in to them to store. Thats another option. 

10 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The cyanuric acid produced inhibits the Chlorine from gassing off in presence of sunlight.

Excessive use would lead to a build up of cyanuric acid resulting in lower ph and possible dental enamel erosion if used for drinking purposes.

We are only showering, loundry and household like cleaning, not even brush our teeth in it. Even the dog will get bottle water. 

So I guess it is not optional when we use it for watering the land with vegetables and trees, or refill the pond with fish and crayfish. 

Right now I can not smell chlorin of the water after the first treatment. 

The chlorin will brake down even in closed systems? Some uv rays go trough these Blue thanks? 

This is the difference in the water that is not run trough any filter exept a cotton rag to catch the debrises from bugs, leafs etc. 

Got 36m3 with tanks like this, and used as prescripted for swimmingpools 5g pr 1m3. I still have 14 IBC tanks with rainwater I do not going to put any clohrin in for watering the land. 

I do have a sand filter from Home Pro, do I still need to clean that monthly with salt when I already put clohrin is the tanks? 

What is halftime of the solution in tanks like this? I am trying to figure the halftime, but it seems like only open swimmingpools I find the answer for. 

F205E806-35D2-43E4-ADE2-9289B3AF0308.jpeg

06013761-BD5E-4DF6-BCEE-B83265CC829E.jpeg

7050750D-A825-4638-8564-CA5E1F785198.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

This is the difference in the water that is not run trough any filter exept a cotton rag to catch the debrises from bugs, leafs etc. 

Got 36m3 with tanks like this, and used as prescripted for swimmingpools 5g pr 1m3. I still have 14 IBC tanks with rainwater I do not going to put any clohrin in for watering the land. 

I do have a sand filter from Home Pro, do I still need to clean that monthly with salt when I already put clohrin is the tanks? 

What is halftime of the solution in tanks like this? I am trying to figure the halftime, but it seems like only open swimmingpools I find the answer for. 

F205E806-35D2-43E4-ADE2-9289B3AF0308.jpeg

06013761-BD5E-4DF6-BCEE-B83265CC829E.jpeg

7050750D-A825-4638-8564-CA5E1F785198.jpeg

I am not familiar with the Sand filter from Home Pro .

Generally sand filters only remove particles and debris as the water passes through the pores.

As the pores fill up there is a requirement to backlwash to remove this build up.

I assume when you ask about half life you enquiring how fast the Chlorine gasses off out of the solution.

Chlorine only gasses off in the presence of sunlight

The cyanuric acid in the TCCA is there to prevent this gassing off. It acts a stabilizer holding onto the Chlorine molecule.

You should also be aware the presence of Cyanuric acid also inhibits the Chlorine oxidation rate ( the rate of disinfection.).

The more Cyanuric acid present the lower the Chlorine efficiency.

Once the Chlorine as been used up , termed Chlorine combined, the recolonization of bacteria etc occurs within hours.

• Like 1