Govt must inject another Bt1tn to revive economy, says top banker

webfact

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

it's not that, it's more of a case of I, as many prefer a Thailand that has someone who can offer security and stability to the Thai people, they as I, are sick of political fighting amongst themselves, road blocks and protests which started getting out of hand and then there were shootings and general lawlessness so someone had to step in and get control back and get the government going again

I don't think many people would disagree that prior Thai politics is a shambles, and I can even understand an argument for a coup, BUT, they had what 5-6 years to sort out free elections and make things right, and what did they do ? Change the army into a political party, rig the assembly by pre-appointing 1/3 of it, have a dubious election that needed on 25% of the vote for total power, ban other political gatherings, dissolve the opposition. 

Coups can lead to good change, but if the army stays in any form it is a dictatorship

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

This has nothing to do with the Covid fallout, this is all about a dying economy that was sliding long before that came along as a good excuse for failings.

Thailand is still going deep into a recession but will never admit it, how can a country that only last year boasted of being the top Asian economy to one of the worst in only 5 months, considering it also reports of having the least damage as far as Covid infections or deaths go???

Covid may have been the nail in the coffin for an already ailing tourism industry but as far as trade & general economy Prayut & Co had already screwed that up.

Well said, they will use the covid 19 virus as an excuse of why the government failed and the collapse of the economy.... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

I don't think many people would disagree that prior Thai politics is a shambles, and I can even understand an argument for a coup, BUT, they had what 5-6 years to sort out free elections and make things right, and what did they do ? Change the army into a political party, rig the assembly by pre-appointing 1/3 of it, have a dubious election that needed on 25% of the vote for total power, ban other political gatherings, dissolve the opposition. 

Coups can lead to good change, but if the army stays in any form it is a dictatorship

I think that the words "change the army into the political party" is incorrect statement because the Palang Pracha Rath (PPRP) is made up of various liberal, socially conservative, and ultra-nationalist factions. It is supported by thai people. Above of all, there are hundreds of political parties in Thailand from the past to the present that involved with the Thai armed forces. However, there are many retired soldier in the opposition parties for now.

Lt gen Paradorn,Pheu Thai Party

images (15).jpeg

Edited by asd
Misspelling

Fact check : Former police and military officers – classmates of Thaksin Shinawatra from Class 10 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School apply to be Pheu Thai members. Including to the former police chief Pol General Priewpan Damapong, a former brother-in-law Thaksin Shinawatra. This party did not fear criticism that another member of Thaksin’s family joined Pheu Thai.

images (16).jpeg

Edited by asd
Misspelling

10 hours ago, mark131v said:

I have said it before and nothing has changed my opinion there needs to be a reboot and that will take blood, that's the only way there will be any meaningful change, wonder if they have the stomach for it 

Thailand could remain as it is, or either go the Laos way (submission), or the Cambodia way (blood). 

Now, we certainly don't want a repeat of the Pol Pot days, and anyway Thai people are generally closer, in mind, to their Lao "cousins" than to their Cambodian neighbors. 

So, no, they probably don't have "the stomach for it". 

15 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

BoT sits on one of the world’s largest reserves of USD.   Why not release it?  Instead they let the Baht/USD rise every day.

Set an assets tax, and say goodbye to expats.

Personally I really want to see less expats in Thailand. 

12 hours ago, asd said:

We are in a golden age of infratructure in Thailand.

Somebody might want to tell the golden agers to do the underground sewage systems first before covering it all in concrete. Most rural and smaller city places still use cesspits that leach to the ground and pollute the groundwater. Pretty hard to fix once the shiny parts are on the top. Never mind actual water catchment and treatment plants, that's too sci-fi for now.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1