Sickness in Thailand

Lancelot01

I'm not sure which forum to post this so invigilator please move as necessary.

My friend (71) from UK has been happily married to his Thai wife for several years. 

He has now been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and the prognosis is not good.

He is currently living at his home in Thailand and is unable to travel.

Unfortunately, over the years he has never written a UK Will which will mean after his demise his estate will be subject to probate.

He does have a brother in UK but he will require a Power of Attorney to deal with the estate.

Also, I am not sure how his marriage is registered in UK however, I am aware that he would like her to inherit from his estate.

I am sure this is not the first case of it's kind to be discussed here and so I would appreciate any sensible advice from members to help him.

Just to clarify. Wills are not 'Subject to Probate'. It is the beneficiaries of your friend's estate who instigate probate.

Also -the most important item on any will is the executor.

The executor has only one customer i.e the deceased.Select someone who is competent and trustworthy.

The executor needs an original.It is typically the executor who instigates probate. The probate lawyer does all the real work. The executor will sign off the probate process when that person is satisfied that all the conditions of the will are satisfied

I am a UK subject and have 2 wills. One for my assets in Thailand-the other for my assets in UK.

Both wills are in English -drawn up in Thailand

Another point . You can have multiple 'originals 'of any will. They must be identical.This is a sensible safe guard in case of loss.

Your friend needs to think about a methodology to advise the UK executor of the sad news.

In my case my wife will contact my executor via Facebook