Student runs to her death in Phuket university disaster

webfact

Those hazing rituals should be banned and any breach should be pursued with the full force of the law against the adults who allowed it and the students who did the bullying. This is a shame and no proof of manhood: these rituals are the work of cowards.

Geez, is it really that long since the last (alleged) hazing death that we have a repeat?

Yes, it may be an underlying heart issue. And perhaps Covid19 is implicated.

As Sports  illustrated wrote in its  discussion of the NCAA  decision to suspend football;

In a small percentage of infected patients, COVID-19 leaves behind troubling scars in the throbbing muscle within their chests, known as myocarditis. The virus directly invades the heart muscle, weakening and damaging its cells, through blood clots and inflammatory responses to viral infection.  Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. 

The aforementioned  article was written August 4. On August 20; 

A Georgia State freshman quarterback will sit out the season because of a heart problem linked to the coronavirus.

“Today I was diagnosed with a heart condition as a result of my covid-19 infection,” Mikele Colasurdo tweeted Thursday. “Unfortunately, this means that I will not be able to play this football season.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/20/heart-ailment-linked-covid-19-will-force-college-football-quarterback-miss-season/

My takeaway is that if the deceased had an underlying health condition it may be due to a Covid19 infection. it would be consistent with the reports so far that young adults either do not show the severe symptoms or have only mild infections such that they do not even know that they were infected.

• Like 1

many outwardly healthy-looking people have hidden cardiovascular problems.  i was running marathons when a doctor during a routine physical said "you're fine.  well except for that heart murmur, but you knew about that, right?"  no, i didn't, and required valve replacement about five years later.

don't get too excited with the clickbait headline and the decided lack of factual information.

"...reportedly being forced to run..."

"... believed the incident was related to hazing..."

"...allegations that the student was forced to run..."

22 hours ago, anterian said:

exactly so, you collapse from exhaustion but you don't die. Its a built in safety mechanism. 

A mother and grandmother in my state forced a girl, 9, to run (stagger) for hours in high heat as punishment for eating a sweet without permission. The girl died, the women are doing major time. 

56 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

many outwardly healthy-looking people have hidden cardiovascular problems.  i was running marathons when a doctor during a routine physical said "you're fine.  well except for that heart murmur, but you knew about that, right?"  no, i didn't, and required valve replacement about five years later.

don't get too excited with the clickbait headline and the decided lack of factual information.

"...reportedly being forced to run..."

"... believed the incident was related to hazing..."

"...allegations that the student was forced to run..."

Allegations that a Student was deliberately forced to do something that led to her death............and we all should just ignore it because she might have been ill anyway ?

The Police need to investigate and the hospitals need to do an autopsy and then hand all the findings/documents to the state prosecution to see whether any charges need to be laid 

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Allegations that a Student was deliberately forced to do something that led to her death............and we all should just ignore it because she might have been ill anyway ?

The Police need to investigate and the hospitals need to do an autopsy and then hand all the findings/documents to the state prosecution to see whether any charges need to be laid 

did i say ignore it?  yes, it needs to be investigated.  and yes, we should not get too excited about an initial two-paragraph article short on facts.  you know how rumours spread, somebody said, somebody heard, because people generally cannot accept that an apparently healthy kid can have a seizure.  so, yes, we need not get out the pitchforks and torches just yet.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:24 PM, BritManToo said:

It sounds unlikely, there must have been an underlying medical condition.

You can't run until you die without having some sort of heart defect.

BS, opinions (false) from people who have never been runners or athletes. I began running in Jr. High in US here is some info. 

Why do runners collapse and die?Dr Lim says marathon runners often collapse near the finishing line because the build-up of lactic acid in the blood during the run triggers abnormal heart rhythms. In addition, they also suffer from exhaustion, emotional stress, dehydration and heat stroke.

One reason they can die is from not drinking water/electrolites such as Gatorade therefore becoming dehydrated causing an embalnce in the fluids in the body that regulate the brains messgaes to the muscles (electrolites) afecting the heart muscle as well.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:24 PM, BritManToo said:

Dehydration causes low sodium levels, and Hyponatremia, which will then possible cause death as well as the body overheating from a lack of cooling and heat stroke.  Not always a underlying medical condition needs to be present.

RIP young lady, you will be missed by your family.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:24 AM, BritManToo said:

Exercise-associated hyponatremia or other electrolyte imbalance can be deadly.  My son and another fellow were hospitalized when they were in the final test ("The Crucible") in US Marine Corps boot camp during very hot weather.  Someone forgot to put salt in the water. 

Search for "marathon runner dies" and you'll find things like this:  The condition, called exercise-associated hyponatremia, killed Hilary Bellamy of Bethesda two days after she competed in the 2002 Marine Corps Marathon. Such deaths are rare, typically fewer than one per year in the United States.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, geriatrickid said:

Geez, is it really that long since the last (alleged) hazing death that we have a repeat?

Yes, it may be an underlying heart issue. And perhaps Covid19 is implicated.

As Sports  illustrated wrote in its  discussion of the NCAA  decision to suspend football;

In a small percentage of infected patients, COVID-19 leaves behind troubling scars in the throbbing muscle within their chests, known as myocarditis. The virus directly invades the heart muscle, weakening and damaging its cells, through blood clots and inflammatory responses to viral infection.  Lately, physicians are identifying the condition in young, healthy Americans — including athletes. 

The aforementioned  article was written August 4. On August 20; 

A Georgia State freshman quarterback will sit out the season because of a heart problem linked to the coronavirus.

“Today I was diagnosed with a heart condition as a result of my covid-19 infection,” Mikele Colasurdo tweeted Thursday. “Unfortunately, this means that I will not be able to play this football season.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/20/heart-ailment-linked-covid-19-will-force-college-football-quarterback-miss-season/

My takeaway is that if the deceased had an underlying health condition it may be due to a Covid19 infection. it would be consistent with the reports so far that young adults either do not show the severe symptoms or have only mild infections such that they do not even know that they were infected.

OMG, really?  You are implying she had covid?  Yeah, because its so common here....and everywhere else?  Regurgitating MSM is not factual or sensible.  You should work for government if you want to spout that narrative.  Since March I traveled from Burma, Indo, USA, Canada, UK, Canada and to Thailand.  Guess what I did not see during my travels?  A pandemic, thats what.  Empty hospitals and everyone I spoke to did not know anyone with "the virus".  Turns out the highly contagious and deadly covid has the same traits a unicorns.  They both are pretty elusive but make for great story telling.....