Survey shows people worried about protests leading to hatred, violence

webfact

12 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

I so much hope the same Mike. But I am quite pessimistic.

Just remember how the politics changed during the years after the coup. In the first years, till around 2018, issues like 'damaging the [international] tourism' and 'damaging the reputation of Thailand in the world' still had a relevance to the Prayut-government. But during the last year this changed completely. The tourism eventually was destroyed totally by the government itself, and they don't do the slightest attempt to improve anything soon. They don't care anymore. And also they don't care about the 'image of Thailand' in the Western world anymore. Not at all.

Instead, they do this:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/17341/is-thailands-foreign-minister-refusing-to-meet-with-western-countries/

It is part of Chinas road-and-belt initiative to increase the sphere of influence in South East Asia, and they do it by buying corrupt local governments. They have already very good control in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand, and maybe in the Philippines. They lost some grip in Malaysia after Najib was kicked out of the office. Where do you think Prawit got his watches from? From a living, very strong friend, I guess.

Will the Chinese succeed in Thailand? I fear yes, quite sure. Even if Prayut will be kicked out of office, the debt for all these multi-billion-$ projects like Chinese high-speed-trains, Chinese submarines and so on will be there, and allow the Chinese to control future Thai governments. And in the meantime many bancrupt Thai companies, hotels, airlines will be taken over by Chinese investors.

Will there be a massacre? Quite sure, in my opinion. These generals will not leave the arena peacefully. No way. What will follow after the massacre might depend on the amount of loyalty of lower ranks in the army, towards their country-raping generals. The romanian revolution against Ceaucescu comes to my mind. But, without a real revolution, nothing substantial and nothing sustainable will happen. 1932 was an unfinished revolution already.

If the government lies good enough and if the people are still gullible enough (which I doubt), there might be a temporary peaceful outcome, for the next 10 years, till the whole game will start again. 

I guess on some level, I am an eternal optimist. I believe in good people. And I believe in hope and the possibility of change and the potential for progress. Yes, even here! And I believe in the youth here. They are Thailand's only hope. The army MUST go! 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Swimfan said:

Let the protests begin. This has been a long time coming for Thailand. It’s time for the people to stand up to the corruption, inequality and the ruling junta. 

if the protests lead to a semblance of Democracy lets have them

the COVID scam is over , it was all about WHO wanting to destroy democratic free countries

On 8/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Here we go with road blocks of sandbag bunkers and the Military boys and there toys on the streets again, ala 2014.  You just got to love Thailand for its concerns regarding the safety of the people.  That's why they bought the subs, and Stryker vehicles.  Got to protect the civilians from themselves.

The Chinese government model. Peace and security Trump the citizens protesting to call for addressing perceived injustices.

On 8/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Swimfan said:

Let the protests begin. This has been a long time coming for Thailand. It’s time for the people to stand up to the corruption, inequality and the ruling junta. 

Then , the Tanks arrived ... 

Peace was restored .  What protests .?

In the UK, the royal family has become a toxic and quite unnecessary topic of conversation. They seem to be quite hated by most British people, especially ones with above average intelligence. There is no need for these expensive parasites, and now what's happened with paedo andy and Me-again, they've become a laughing stock. 

My wife likes to joke that Thai people have the strongest Facebook army in the world, which very well may be the case.  However, she also admits that social media posting is about the extent of protest many Thais will ever engage in.  It's too risky to engage in real world political revolution with so many laws that forbid criticizing the monarchy and a militarized government keen on shutting them down before they even begin. 

Very few Thai people have that much of an enduring interest in politics, outside of the students who feel they are being robbed of their futures.

• Like 2