At Times Of Thai National Crisis Coups, Political Unrest, Etc

cm-happy

During times of political turmoil in Thailand, what, for the most part, what do TVer's do. Ignore it? stay home and try to stay out of harms way? Continue their normal day to day activities as if nothing has happened or is happening?

During the last coup, I just stayed home trying to avoid trouble, especially after seeing armed soldiers at a major road intersection close to my residence.

Another thread is now predicting more problems in May possibly. If it happens I'll probably sequester myself again.

My next question could be a thread by itself.

Is Thailand worth staying here given the unstable situation? Has nothing to do with visa regs, or finances, but just a modicum of security or sense of well being without worrying about getting caught in the cross fire.

During the Sept. 19th coup my buddies and I sipped cappucinos at Coffee World amongst elderly Scandinavian women and fielded calls from worried friends abroad who were concerned about how we were avoiding the imminent danger. Most "crises" around here seem to take place in the Bangkok Post rather than in our "real" lives.

Is Thailand worth staying here given the unstable situation? Has nothing to do with visa regs, or finances, but just a modicum of security or sense of well being without worrying about getting caught in the cross fire.

Just look at CNN or BBC - where else in the world is there to go to avoid problems of one sort or another ? :o

During the Sept. 19th coup my buddies and I sipped cappucinos at Coffee World amongst elderly Scandinavian women and fielded calls from worried friends abroad who were concerned about how we were avoiding the imminent danger. Most "crises" around here seem to take place in the Bangkok Post rather than in our "real" lives.

Anyone not living in the centre of Bangkok would share this feeling. Political crises come and go here all the time, as no-one ever seems to learn from mistakes / history here. The two English language dailies are totally "Bangkok-centric" in their reporting though, and news in the provinces is not bothered with much.

During the second-to-last coup (Supreme Commander Suchinda & Military Associates, Inc.) I worked as normal but had to get all the news from BBC via my shortwave radio. There was no Internet then. The TV (=television, not Thai Visa) channels were dominated by soldiers issueing edits; all international news from fax services were cut off by the army. I literally relied on BBC London shortwave service to know what was going on in the city I lived in, which was Bangkok.

Were a similar..... situation.... to arise, the Internet would be cut totally. Incidentally, shortwave radio receivers are available and not that expensive. It's good to have one as a "backup unit".

During the second-to-last coup (Supreme Commander Suchinda & Military Associates, Inc.) I worked as normal but had to get all the news from BBC via my shortwave radio. There was no Internet then. The TV (=television, not Thai Visa) channels were dominated by soldiers issueing edits; all international news from fax services were cut off by the army. I literally relied on BBC London shortwave service to know what was going on in the city I lived in, which was Bangkok.

Were a similar..... situation.... to arise, the Internet would be cut totally. Incidentally, shortwave radio receivers are available and not that expensive. It's good to have one as a "backup unit".

You raise a very good point about shortwave.

I was here during a coup in the early 80s. It was the one where troops outside Bangkok were threatening to invade Bangkok, and could have been bad. When it was announced most people were let out of work. I was surprised at how calm everyone was. I holed up in my apt. building with some friends and we played cards, drank, and tried to get updates. The BKK Post was interesting to read because although they were being censored reading between the lines you could see what they were trying to say. They also came out with a special 'Extra' edition at one point. Can't recall if the newsboys were shouting, 'Ektra, Ektra, read all about it'.

during that same coup....when people started to protest (note similarity/repeat cycle in thai politics -- military take over, people welcome with flowers...a year later people start to protest -- thai people bangkok people really need to start to retain memory!!)

anyhow during the stage where the protests had started, there was total censorship....to the point that many newspapers were shut completely...and I recall when one (cant remmeber which) ran a blank black spot on their front page to show that the article they wanted to run had been censored.

the real news we were able to get were being sent via fac...people passing on fax messages to friends and randomly to any office number.

interesting days.

but sad that after all that we went through then, hard earned as we got our democracy (even if not perfect!) but then suddenly bangkok people are literally giving it up without even thinking or realising.

i will continue the small group of like minds to wear black on Fridays to mourn the loss of our democracy :o

What crisis? I didn't notice.

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

-----------------------

Good times :-)

As pr. advise from my embassy I have hung the emergency evacuation plan I recived last week!!! on the side of my fridge.

I havent started buying canned food.

I havent packed a small bag with my pasport and several foreign currencys.

I havent bought a battery operated radio.

ASO.ASO. There is 3 pages of the same stuf.

I wonder if they know something we dont, I hope not :o

Regards. :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Today the court announces It's decision.

Civil problems are anticipated.

I'm staying home. Have a supply of beer,wine & food in the house. What else do I need? Well maybe some companionship to keep me warm & hug.

Edit for spelling

Edited by cm-happy

When Suchinda and Chamlong were having at it I got in my car with a friend and drove around the city. It was quite interesting with no stoplights, tires and telephone booths in the roads, guys with machine guns riding around in pickup trucks but you couldn't get close to any of the action. They were using a fairly standard containment strategy with nobody in or out of the main areas like Sanaam Luang and Ramkhamhaeng University. There used to be nothing on TV or radio except military marching band music. Sometimes you see tanks on the streets but I wouldn't sweat it. Have seen this several times since 1975. The Thais are quite civilized usually in these matters. The military doesn't often mow people down in the streets or hotel lobbies. They even pardon anyone involved after things settle down. Incase TV goes out it might be nice to have a few DVD's on hand.

Do the bars stay open during these things?

I don't know about everyone else, but if I get the day off work and things seem to be turning to shit I'd rather be sitting there drinking beer than worry about things that are out of my control.

Typically bad timing for me. I have to be in central BKK Friday & Saturday.

If things get bad I will comandeer an army vehicle out to a friends house on the outskirts!

OK comandeer an army vehicle. HOW?? Make them an offer they can't refuse :o

Like in most of Thailand I imagine, you would never know anything is afoot down here. None of the Thais I have spoken to could give a rats ass. Sad really that they feel so cut off from politics.

Personally, I am not worried in the slightest by any of this. Buy me a ticket and I will be happy to report from the front line.

Edited by baboon

I've always completely ignored these situations, but if the next one is bad, I will stay home and watch all 7 years of Buffy and the Vampire Slayer. Buffy is my favorite white girl! :o

I really dig that honkie!

She's one fine looking cracker! :D