Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

BUT the 90/80-17 front and 110/80-17 rear Michelin Sporty are recommended fitment on the CBR 125 in the UK (also bridgestone recommend these sizes) . and i know the 100 front is great cos i got one.

I would recommend these tyres and am just waiting for the rep to get back to me.

Lets face it the original tyres are and look to skinny.

AND Dave sorry about spoiling your MOJO

Allan

My MOJO?!?!? Trust me son, you can't ruin that.....

If you have a 100 on front (I'm assuming that you're talking about the 100/80), what are you running out back?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have CBR wheels & tires on my Nova Dash RS Super. The 100/80/17 is a about the limit on the rear but that Pilot Sporty sure looks good.

I have bought quite a few IRC for it & in general quite pleased with the grip. Totally willing to experiment though.

If someone locates a dealer let us know.

110 (last time i looked at the speedo) last night after the rain - guys, be patient with me. i have zero experience with a bike less than a month ago and i only get to practice on weekends :o

no cruising with the waves ... does this mean counter flowing?

The cruising with the Waves comment was meant to be taken literally. I.E., going so slowly that the family of four on the 5 year old Wave R 100cc keeps up with you.

I forget that there are few Americanos in this thread, the illustrious PeaceBlondie and I the only examples I can think of off the top of my head.

None the less, learn at your own pace. Especially if you're in Bangkok. I am young and dumb, so don't take everything I say to heart since the rush of adrenaline is still a major decision maker in my life.

In regards to your arms; Not much you can do about it. You can try and slide forward and pray to whatever friend of choice in the great beyond that nobody pulls out in front of you causing you to smash on your brakes and crush your family jewels. Or you can try and find replacement clip-ons. Those are the handlebars that 'clip on' to the forks. You'd want taller ones that will come closer to your seat. This will increase your vertical angle, relieving pressure on your arms. It will also change the way the bike seems to handle though, make it more Schwinn like which could be a good thing if that's what you're looking for.

And thaicbr, stop wrecking my high dude!

igme--- Congrats on the bike and glad to hear you are enjoying it. Regarding "cruising with the waves", remember that the waves have Rip Tides! Sometimes a bike will veer from the far left to the far right or from the far right to the left with no notice. I have had two friends get hurt, one seriously, because they were booking pretty good and someone did the cross-over and a collision occured. No one in Thailand expects any motorcycle to be going fast so even if they look, they will still execute the rip tide crossover! Bad news for us fast movers. Sometimes in weird and busy areas I will cruise with the waves until things sort out. My aging brain has trouble with all the targets sometimes.

On the handlebars, have you tried rotating the position a bit? A small chance makes a big difference. I haven't done this on the CBR150, but on my old 700 I was able to move them enough to make a big difference.

Enjoy the bike igme!

Congrats on the bike and glad to hear you are enjoying it. Regarding "cruising with the waves", remember that the waves have Rip Tides! Sometimes a bike will veer from the far left to the far right or from the far right to the left with no notice. I have had two friends get hurt, one seriously, because they were booking pretty good and someone did the cross-over and a collision occured. No one in Thailand expects any motorcycle to be going fast so even if they look, they will still execute the rip tide crossover! Bad news for us fast movers. Sometimes in weird and busy areas I will cruise with the waves until things sort out. My aging brain has trouble with all the targets sometimes.

Almost every time I go out I am greeted with some suicidal or murderous event.. But had one recently that stuck in my mind..

Heading along in a fairly busy section of road, traffic around, not howling along but probably 90 - 100.. Was coming up on a wave type bike with an older momma and young baby (both helmetless of course) doing almost no speed and just as I was about to commit to the passing line I got a 'vibe' off her and backed off the throttle.. Just as I did so she turned from the left hand verge to do a full U turn / Right turn.. Putting herself at completely 90 degrees to the road !!! Not only that but due to oncoming traffic she couldnt complete the maneuver so she just stopped.

So without indicating, without looking, without any hint or signal she just 100% blocked the lane of a busy road while the oncoming lane had traffic coming !! This is while driving and being in charge of an infant !!

Luckily as I had backed off a touch, emergency flick and I was able to JUST make the inside line around her rear wheel.. There was inches in it and it was a very split second event but if I hadnt got the vibe, if I had been looking in the mirror, if any one of a 100 different things that would have been a high impact splat. Also if I hadnt been a bike, but a car or truck I would have had no where to go.. She basically just shut down the lane and this wasnt 'in the village' but on one of Phukets busy roads.

Now any rider or driver here sees these on a daily basis.. I do find Phuket especially bad as its a combination of busy roads with a village mentality but theres a reason why theres such a high death toll.. And trying not to become a statistic is a full time job.

Hmm, I have yet to find a Michelin dealer under the motorcycle section of Michelin's website in Nakhon Sawan; however, there's some 4 fairly close together that I'm going to hit up and try and get a pair of the 100/80 - 17 since the CBR is fairly agile and I doubt it would lose much by getting that set.

Hmm, I have yet to find a Michelin dealer under the motorcycle section of Michelin's website in Nakhon Sawan; however, there's some 4 fairly close together that I'm going to hit up and try and get a pair of the 100/80 - 17 since the CBR is fairly agile and I doubt it would lose much by getting that set.

Hi, I am new to this and new to bikes! Hoping to get a CBR150 in a couple months (have to organise a work visa so i can get a thai licence). Are bike tyres the same as car tyres; so if you go up one size in width you have to go down in wall height to keep the same rolling diameter? Since the standard rear tyre is 100/80-17, would you have to go to a 110/70-17? Anyway i am going to be asking a lot more stupid questions in the near future! Love the forum. Ride safe!

Dave as far as i can tell there are no Michelin motorcycle tyre dealers on the website. the guy i put on the ninja thread does them and sends ems but he did say that the 100 on the rear is the front tyre reversed. i'm hoping the michelin rep gets back to me today so we can get the proper front/rear tyres. will let you all know.

Allan

Just out of interest - how much are the Michelin Sport tyres for the CBR.

I'll bet that they are much more than the 3K baht that the Vee Rubber tyres cost, and these are used for racing

small capacity bikes here in Thai.

Why does everyone seem to want super fat tyres, there is so little power from a CBR ... 17 ponies or thereabouts,

not as if it's a CBR 600.

I'll bet that they are much more than the 3K baht that the Vee Rubber tyres cost, and these are used for racing

Why does everyone seem to want super fat tyres, there is so little power from a CBR ... 17 ponies or thereabouts,

We paid about 1000 baht for a larger front Dunlop. To answer another question, you can often go to a larger rolling radius since the odometer is wildly optimistic. I went from 80/90 to 90/80, which did not change the odo error. But the stock rims are not designed for very fat tires, and yes, you do not do burnouts with the rear tire on a CBR150.

Ok so is it better to get the thicker/fatter than stock tyres? Peace, the final word on this please.

Also, where is the idle rev adjuster? I only have the Thai manual alas :o

On a side note I blasted the Blue Wolf up to 135kph 2 weeks ago. She was screaming like a valkyrie but holding true :D

We paid about 1000 baht for a larger front Dunlop. To answer another question, you can often go to a larger rolling radius since the odometer is wildly optimistic. I went from 80/90 to 90/80, which did not change the odo error. But the stock rims are not designed for very fat tires, and yes, you do not do burnouts with the rear tire on a CBR150.

Over the last few months I have been "spinning my tires dry" leaving my muddy road and climbing a small paved hill. Not something that happens on dry pavement unless you really get on it on a steep turn on the Sameung Loop. I think the stock tire size is about right as a wider tire would end up having a lower "normal force" and consequently less overall friction. I think getting softer rubber is a lot better than increasing tire size. Not sure if my take on this is right or not. I do like the look of bigger tires though. Another thing that can get your attention is hitting the front brakes on a muddy driveway. I do this on the way into the driveway just to get a feel for it and it does not take much front brake lever pressure to get the front tire sliding. A friend of mine call this "having safe fun" so that you learn your bike!

Does anyone know what can be done to the air intake/filter so as to get a better flow into the engine and increase the power output. Sometimes at high revs my bike cannot suck air and loses power around 11000 rpm in fifth gear going about 140km/h. :o

Ok so is it better to get the thicker/fatter than stock tyres? Peace, the final word on this please.

On a side note I blasted the Blue Wolf up to 135kph 2 weeks ago. She was screaming like a valkyrie but holding true :D

Jim, I ain't no tire engineer. I do plan to go to the wider, lower tire in the front next time, simply because that Dunlop gave me the most dramatic improve3ment in steering ability I have ever noticed. That told me that the rubber compound or tread pattern on the 90/80 were better than the stock 80/90.

Rear, I have no idea, having replaced the stock IRC each time with supposedly the same size. However, the last swap must have had higher profile, because it put my partner up on tip-toes. Next time I might just switch to Dunlop front and rear.

T_Dog I tend to agree about the lower normal force but if you hit something small (stone/ sand) there is more tire that will continue to grip as you go over it. Also the softer tyre although it will increase you rolling friction it will also give you better grip during cornering. I have had a loss of grip once though when the tyers get hot and begin to start picking up sand and small stones causing undesirable grip conditions. so I also think Not sure if my take on this is right or not.

Well, on one hand there is some bit of truth that the CBR 150R would be more affected by better tyres (whether they're wider or simply much stickier) than a bike with more power. However, considering the fact that the stock tyres have as much traction as a freshly used condom, the benefits far outweight the negatives.

The idle rev adjust is down by your right knee, up in the 'vee' of the plastic fairing. It's a little knurled thumb screw about 3/8" in diameter.

Does anyone know what can be done to the air intake/filter so as to get a better flow into the engine and increase the power output. Sometimes at high revs my bike cannot suck air and loses power around 11000 rpm in fifth gear going about 140km/h.

Ummh, 11 000 RPM is where the rev limiter kicks in.....unless you have a different CDI. However, you can get rid of the top part of the air box and tape your filter down; or if you're super ballsy, you can run without a filter, buy a K&N filter or buy a small high air flow pod filter that attaches directly to the carb (even though I disagree with this since the air box is manufactured to a certain size to help prevent the engine from "gluping" air and rather provide it with a fairly steady stream.

Well, on one hand there is some bit of truth that the CBR 150R would be more affected by better tyres (whether they're wider or simply much stickier) than a bike with more power. However, considering the fact that the stock tyres have as much traction as a freshly used condom, the benefits far outweight the negatives.

The idle rev adjust is down by your right knee, up in the 'vee' of the plastic fairing. It's a little knurled thumb screw about 3/8" in diameter.

Does anyone know what can be done to the air intake/filter so as to get a better flow into the engine and increase the power output. Sometimes at high revs my bike cannot suck air and loses power around 11000 rpm in fifth gear going about 140km/h.

Ummh, 11 000 RPM is where the rev limiter kicks in.....unless you have a different CDI. However, you can get rid of the top part of the air box and tape your filter down; or if you're super ballsy, you can run without a filter, buy a K&N filter or buy a small high air flow pod filter that attaches directly to the carb (even though I disagree with this since the air box is manufactured to a certain size to help prevent the engine from "gluping" air and rather provide it with a fairly steady stream.

Well I got the bike second hand only 7500KM. I'v got it to +12000RPM but in 4th gear not in fifth maybe I can try a few small holes in the box and a new air filter the other may be a little blocked

Well I got the bike second hand only 7500KM. I'v got it to +12000RPM but in 4th gear not in fifth maybe I can try a few small holes in the box and a new air filter the other may be a little blocked

Sounds like you've got an aftermarket CDI then, but I could be mis-remembering my CBR 150R's redline. Also you need to consider that 6th gear is some 12.8% 'taller' than 5th. Rolling friction increases at speed, due to various flexing of the tyres. Air friction starts increasing exponentially as speed increases. All those add up to 'take' power away.

@ crowboy, where in pattaya r u to find? i have a friend in pattaya that i go see twice a month. i'm interested in a longer bike tour maybe in october

I am fairly easy to find in Pattaya. My bike is the Repsol model so look for a bright orange CBR150 and that will probably be mine. The bike is normally found outside places like the post office, public library, schools for the blind etc

:o

CB

Theres an orange Repsol very often parked outside a beer bar thats situated about 1/2 way along 2nd road & in a soi leading down to beach road, is that you Crowboy ?

or do we have 2 Repsol CBRs here in Pattaya.

Tony B.

I have no idea how high Chiang Mai is. Friends from the lower elevations of San Antonio, Texas were here last month, and they thought the wife had altitude sickness. I said no, we are just not that high here. You would think that if we were as high as Denver or Mexico City, the new bikes would be prepared by the dealer for local conditions. Even the best dealer in town was clueless about my carb problems and choke. We do have winter here - ambient morning temps of 12 C - and even 23 degrees calls for a little bit of choke, anywhere. My partner, a local guy, warned me to never use the choke except on cold winter mornings, but I ignored him.

Is it really a choke or an enricher, and does it matter? The new bike runs fine on choke when it is cold, for the first two km.

Over 600 posts on this thread now! prestburypark, welcome to the club. I had hoped the mirrors on the 2008 were better placed, but my eldbows still get in the way, slightly. Vibrations? Try riding a Harley.

Hi Guys, This wont help experts but will help others, so here goes.

If any IC engine is being run on a heavy overich mixture be it from excessive choke, unsuitable large jets , really dirty air filter etc, the air fuel ratio for the engine has to be incorrect,

This means the excessive ammounts of unatomised & therefore unburned fuel can tend to quickly wash the cylinder bores dry of oil, whilst at the same time causing piston rings to wear ( in severe cases rapidly sharpens the edges up like razor blades )

& will if the problems really severe contaminate your engines lube oil with gasoline, & bearing & working surfaces really do hate that stuff, GulP !!

Ever followed someone into a corner fast when he has lifted off the throttle for a couple of seconds, then when he opens it all up again theres a puff of dark coloured smoke ?

Of course you have, & as some people do know thats simply the unburned fuel/ cylinder bore lubricant being quickly burned off the working surfaces, ( unless the motors knackered then it smokes all the time )

So the minimum ammount of choke used to get / keep you motoring the better, & in this dusty country its obvious that changing/cleaning the air filter is a lot more vital than in Europe or less dusty parts of USA.

Not being a smart Ass honest, but this stuff was how I earned my modest living.

Tony B.

Altitude is 310m according to Google. Supposedly that's only a 3% difference in air pressure. I found this link to be very helpful.

Choke is an enricher, but not all enrichers are chokes! I'm unsure of how the CBR does its enrichment. By restricting the amount of air entering the carb, it increases vaccum (the piston is still pumping away at 11.0/1, but the air is being sucked through a smaller opening).

None the less, unless it gets really cold, you're probably just wasting fuel using your carb, in addition to fouling your plug.

Hi, I am new to this and new to bikes! Hoping to get a CBR150 in a couple months (have to organise a work visa so i can get a thai licence). Are bike tyres the same as car tyres; so if you go up one size in width you have to go down in wall height to keep the same rolling diameter? Since the standard rear tyre is 100/80-17, would you have to go to a 110/70-17? Anyway i am going to be asking a lot more stupid questions in the near future! Love the forum. Ride safe!

Hi, i did check this up... you can get a Driver License for bike if you have a Tourist Visa ! . . . This is working at Pattaya Trafic office . . . maybe not all over the country.

I'll be taking my new CBR 150 in for its 1000KM checkup and first oil change next week. It took a while for me to locate the oil I'd like to use, which is Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 (previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40). The Mobil/Exxon headquarters in BKK said that they do not import it.

In case anyone else is interested in using that oil in their bike, you can find it at Oils R Us in BKK:

http://www.oils-r-us.com

Clem at Oils R Us speaks English (he's Aussie). His phone number is 085-153-3555.

zz (used to be American, at least until Thomas Jefferson left the oval office)

I'll be taking my new CBR 150 in for its 1000KM checkup and first oil change next week. It took a while for me to locate the oil I'd like to use, which is Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 (previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40). The Mobil/Exxon headquarters in BKK said that they do not import it.

In case anyone else is interested in using that oil in their bike, you can find it at Oils R Us in BKK:

http://www.oils-r-us.com

Clem at Oils R Us speaks English (he's Aussie). His phone number is 085-153-3555.

zz (used to be American, at least until Thomas Jefferson left the oval office)

Good stuff, but it might get expensive if you want to change your oil regularly. There is no oil filter in the CBR-150, at least the old ones, so going the long run with synthetic is less appealing. Does your new ride have an oil filter?

If the 2008 CBR150R has an oil filter, I had not noticed. Usually synthetic oil can go much further, but the engine is going to accumulate schhtuff anyway.

The schhtuff my old Suzuki Hustler used to accumulate included needle bearings and little bits of piston! Made the bike nice and quiet though!

Hi all,

just to let everyone know I am putting my beloved CBR150 Repsol up for sale at 25,000baht. It is a 2004 model, has 44,000km on the clock and in excellent mechanical condition. I am waiting for my ad to be approved on the classifieds and will provide a link but anyone interested can contact me by pm here. The bike is currently in Pattaya but will be heading back to Chiang Mai in about a week. There is the usual wear and tear and some cosmetic damage but easily rectified. The decals under the back seat have been marked because I hung two helmets and they rubbed the sides (M&*^$%kes!!) but I have a set of original replacement decals to fix that or hand over to the new owner. A couple of dings in the petrol tank but they add character to a great allrounder motor cycle.

CB