Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed.

If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.

Ya know Bingo.......Opinions are like preferences

Everybody has one.

I have been riding & racing a good many decades now.

I prefer a disc if that is ok with you? wink.png

On a Honda Sonic and Honda Wave? Racing who? The Honda Fino Kids from the lights to the first u-turn?

Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because you would know disc brakes on a 125cc family budget bike would be hassle than their worth.

Funny to ask why rear disc is needed.

They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.

It is not only abour speed or cc of the bike man.

What a load of crap, read Wantan's post, he's absolutely spot on.

This disc brake crap sounds exactly like the gasohol v benzine argument people bashing gasohol and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

You ever change drum brake pads? You like those springs? How about taking off the wheel to get to the pads?

Now change disc brake pads and tell me you dont love em.

Drum brakes = more weight, more heat, less stopping power, harder to resurface drum.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because ....snip...

How old are you anyway?

What is it you do not understand about someone having a preference?

Who said anything about racing a scooter?

Who said anything about stopping power for that matter?

I said I envy the disc on a sonic & wondered why newer models from Honda

could not afford it.

For the record I have no braking problems on any bike I own now N250 & Wave

Nor any of the dozens I have owned both with drum & disc brakes.

I *prefer* discs for the feel they afford & the better brake modulation/feathering they afford.

Not that I asked your opinion nor need it.

Someday when your older you too may have a preference. till then don't assume you know everything when

you have not even heard the questions. You come off like a wanna be know it all trying so

hard to answer a question nobody asked wink.png

PS: Apologies to readers for taking the CBR150 thread off course

Edited by mania

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed. If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.Funny to ask why rear disc is needed.They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.It is not only abour speed or cc of the bike man. I had some bikes with drum brakes :)Never had mud or water in the brakes. And imo drum brakes are much easier to maintain as disc brakes. Usually no brake fluid needed and no hoses that can leak, just a simple bowden cable. Much easier and more reliable technology. Don't understand what some of you guys have against them.Its like mania said: "Opinions are like preferences. Everybody has one.".

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed. If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.Ya know Bingo.......Opinions are like preferencesEverybody has one.I have been riding & racing a good many decades now.I prefer a disc if that is ok with you? On a Honda Sonic and Honda Wave? Racing who? The Honda Fino Kids from the lights to the first u-turn? Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because you would know disc brakes on a 125cc family budget bike would be hassle than their worth. Funny to ask why rear disc is needed.They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.It is not only abour speed or cc of the bike man. What a load of crap, read Wantan's post, he's absolutely spot on. This disc brake crap sounds exactly like the gasohol v benzine argument people bashing gasohol and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

It is getting funnier here. So if simplicity is everything, why dont you guys ride a horse or just take a walk:DOr carry your grocery with ox cart or maybe a wheelcart?:lol: These ways are the most reliable and simple if these are the matter.So you guys say, we get rid of new tech and start using the old ones just bc they are simple? Hahahss.One must be fool or drunk to even discuss the advantages of a disc brake and say like drums are better bc they are simple or discs are unnecessary!I am not against drum brakes or people want to use them so it is ridiculous to turn the topic again and divide the people like against or not. Edited by loserlazer

IMO disc brakes are the way to go.

Off topic when my wife bought her car I told her to not buy the base model because of the drum brakes in the rear. Disc brakes just create better stopping power and a better feel.

To bad most scooters don't have rear disc breaks they would seem a little more desirable is they did.

LL, noone said drums are better. Drums are just another technology that still has its place in the world nowadays.

But maybe we should open a drum vs. Disc thread for this as the CBR150 has only disc and this is Off Topic :)

Why would you need rear disc brakes on a 125cc scooter? And isn't the wave a semi automatic bike and not a scooter? The nuvo I had has rear drum brakes, more BHP than the wave and is heavier, it stopped fine in emergency braking situations from top speed.

If you needed rear discs, it would make no difference whatsoever with the same rider. The majority of the braking is on the front and as long as you kept the back tightened you can still bring the rear wheel out quite easy, you don't need discs.

Please disconnect your rear brakes and ride down a mountain as fast as you can.

Thank you

So people are driving down mountains at 100km/h plus on a wave 125 which is budget family spec bike?

On a Honda Sonic and Honda Wave? Racing who? The Honda Fino Kids from the lights to the first u-turn?

Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because you would know disc brakes on a 125cc family budget bike would be hassle than their worth.

Funny to ask why rear disc is needed.

They have better feel, easier maintanance besides no sh.t inside the drums like mud or water.

It is not only abour speed or cc of the bike man.

What a load of crap, read Wantan's post, he's absolutely spot on.

This disc brake crap sounds exactly like the gasohol v benzine argument people bashing gasohol and don't have a clue what they're talking about.

You ever change drum brake pads? You like those springs? How about taking off the wheel to get to the pads?

Now change disc brake pads and tell me you dont love em.

Drum brakes = more weight, more heat, less stopping power, harder to resurface drum.

Yes I did 30k on Nouvo with heavy rear braking and the only time I changed drum pads was when I gave it to my ex @ 30k. That cost all of changing them drum pads was about 100 baht ... boo hoo not 100 baht ....
And the bike stopped on a dime emergency braking from top speed.
Edited by Bingo66

Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are because ....snip...

How old are you anyway?

What is it you do not understand about someone having a preference?

Who said anything about racing a scooter?

Who said anything about stopping power for that matter?

I said I envy the disc on a sonic & wondered why newer models from Honda

could not afford it.

For the record I have no braking problems on any bike I own now N250 & Wave

Nor any of the dozens I have owned both with drum & disc brakes.

I *prefer* discs for the feel they afford & the better brake modulation/feathering they afford.

Not that I asked your opinion nor need it.

Someday when your older you too may have a preference. till then don't assume you know everything when

you have not even heard the questions. You come off like a wanna be know it all trying so

hard to answer a question nobody asked wink.png

PS: Apologies to readers for taking the CBR150 thread off course

Yes opinions are like <deleted>, everyone has one however, if you can't give a reason to why your opinion is right you shouldn't say it.

You seem to miss the point. no one said drum brakes are better than disc, the point is why do you need them on THIS BIKE? It's a budget bike, it's not a racing bike and drums work quite fine and it still says nice and cheap. If you want disc brakes then go buy a sonic or CBR, but I wouldn't buy a sonic as it's a pile of shit. CBR 150 isn't much better, it's a lot of fun at high RPM if you can put up with poor quality chain noises and constant vibration, handles like a dream but it's not a long time daily driver. Couldn't ride it for longer than a year everyday.

And I was waiting for "whats your age? I've been driving bikes for 60 years and can change the oil filter with my cock I'm always right argument" . So for your information, i'm 23 and been riding bikes on tarmack since I was about 8 years old. However age is irrelevant Valentino Rossi would lap the shit out of us both now when he was 16.

This thread is about the Honda CBR 150, it is not about disrespecting other members.

If you are unsure of what is allowed, and not allowed on the Thaivisa forums, then please refer to the Thaivisa rules:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

In particular, please think about the below before you post.

1) To respect fellow members.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

This thread is about the Honda CBR 150, it is not about disrespecting other members.If you are unsure of what is allowed, and not allowed on the Thaivisa forums, then please refer to the Thaivisa rules:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrulesIn particular, please think about the below before you post.1) To respect fellow members.3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Bingo!

Thank you

So people are driving down mountains at 100km/h plus on a wave 125 which is budget family spec bike?

You should head into the mountains sometimes, some of these hilltribe folks are kamikazes on waves and will take some big bike riders to school. Surprised the hell out of me a few times.

When you go downhill displacement is irrelevant. A hot smelly drum brake going downhill is.

You seem to miss the point. no one said drum brakes are better than disc, the point is why do you need them on THIS BIKE? It's a budget bike, it's not a racing bike and drums work quite fine and it still says nice and cheap. If you want disc brakes then go buy a sonic or CBR, but I wouldn't buy a sonic as it's a pile of shit. CBR 150 isn't much better, it's a lot of fun at high RPM if you can put up with poor quality chain noises and constant vibration, handles like a dream but it's not a long time daily driver. Couldn't ride it for longer than a year everyday.

The only reason it had chain noises is because you didnt oil it.

It't not about the size, weight, or horsepower, it's about the water. When drum brakes get wet, they don't work so well. Disc brakes are not affected by water. Disc brakes are especially good in a rainy country like Thailand. Hope that clears it up for you.

Thank you

You should head into the mountains sometimes, some of these hilltribe folks are kamikazes on waves and will take some big bike riders to school. Surprised the hell out of me a few times.

When you go downhill displacement is irrelevant. A hot smelly drum brake going downhill is.

I think ul find most thai's dont even use the rear brake, so i'ts irrelevant, they just grab the front like monkeys. Rain season is accidents galore BKK, every time guaranteed a good one at the lights, pizzahut delivery, the lot.

I presumed that, so I took it for a service than emptied a half of can of expensive lube on it, so much it dripped all over my drive later in the evening. It still clicked and clacked going over bridges and turns, than I came online and saw all the chain talk. I've also heard other 150s come by with a clacking chain. The vibration is also terrible, after 45 minutes of driving into the city, my clutch hand feels like pure pins and needles.

Dispute all that, I quite like the bike and it's a lot of fun as I drive everywhere at 7k rpm up and if I did that on R6 I would be under a bus. The CBR is like having a filthy gig behind your wifes back, it's fun for a few months, then it gets boring and it's time to go back to the wife.

It't not about the size, weight, or horsepower, it's about the water. When drum brakes get wet, they don't work so well. Disc brakes are not affected by water. Disc brakes are especially good in a rainy country like Thailand. Hope that clears it up for you.

Go ride a honda wave in September in the rain, jump on back brake and tell me you need discs. It is about size, weight and horsepower, a wave 125 has just a couple of bhp, if you added more braking power to the rear, it would just loose grip even easier. And considering most of the braking power is on the front DISCS, adding discs to the rear for wet riding would be pointless indeed.

I think ul find most thai's dont even use the rear brake, so i'ts irrelevant, they just grab the front like monkeys. Rain season is accidents galore BKK, every time guaranteed a good one at the lights, pizzahut delivery, the lot.

marvelous assumption for a county with 60 million people.

I presumed that, so I took it for a service than emptied a half of can of expensive lube on it, so much it dripped all over my drive later in the evening. It still clicked and clacked going over bridges and turns, than I came online and saw all the chain talk. I've also heard other 150s come by with a clacking chain. The vibration is also terrible, after 45 minutes of driving into the city, my clutch hand feels like pure pins and needles.

Dispute all that, I quite like the bike and it's a lot of fun as I drive everywhere at 7k rpm up and if I did that on R6 I would be under a bus. The CBR is like having a filthy gig behind your wifes back, it's fun for a few months, then it gets boring and it's time to go back to the wife.

sounds like you waited too long to oil it, when that happens the chain will kink and its time for a new one.

Ive had 6 and wont argue the vibration, its quite the blender.(old model)

bingo,

You are talking nonsense man, i am sorry. You disrespect and judge people and provide wrong and crappy information, why do not you spend your valuable time somewhere else?

Thai people do not user rear brakes, accidents at every light in Bangkok, tire losing more grip bc of more stopping power? what are you saying man?

You just mislead people here actually, nobody is stupid to trust what you are saying i am surelaugh.png

I just realized I've had my CBR150 for more than 2 years and use it to drive to work in the boonies from home and vice-versa. I haven't checked the kilometers but it has long been in the five digits.

Reminiscing...

I took it from the dealers on the last week of December during 2010 after patiently waiting since there was a long pre-order list then.

My wife told me that the bike was going to be registered after the New Year so even if it was bought in 2010 it says on the registration its a Honda CBR150R FI 2011,

I was going to get the red one because, "Da red 'uns go fastah". Unfortunately, my friend who was ahead of me in the pre-order list got a red one before I did.

I was set to get the white one instead, but when we visited the dealership to finalize my order I saw a black one loaded on the pick up truck for delivery it looked, "meaner" so I decided to get the black one instead.

When I arrived at the dealership to sign papers for the sale and have the bike delivered at home some 250s just arrived, and the guy handling the papers asked if I wanted a black 250 instead since there were a couple that have not been reserved. I only had enough money on hand to pay for the 150 in cash but I could put a down payment on a 250 and pay the rest after 3 months. Looked at my wife but she would have none of it. It was difficult enough to convince her to allow me to get the bike ever since hearing from an old riding buddy how foolhardy I can be on two wheels (probably from being overconfident since I learned to ride a real motorcycle when I was still in grade school).

One thing I remember when I got the bike was that I had no illusions of getting something like a real sports bike. To me the bike was a better alternative to riding a Wave to work since it offered better stability (try riding beside a big trailer on the highway, the strong wind blast would make a Wave or a scooter wobble). I also didn't look as awkward riding it compared to a Wave, being of heavy build.

So it's been kilometers ever since I got the bike, here's a few observations.

- Design wise I would have preferred the R150s look but they're not available here, when I posted pictures to my Mom and Dad they actually said the CBR150 looks better compared to the R150... then again it's all a matter of preference

- In terms of construction, the bike is solidly built (though some might digress), as expected of a Honda bike, it should be no surprise however that they did cut some corners; one of my pet peeves with the bike is that the exhaust system was just painted with black heat resistant paint (now mines all rusty but I'll be replacing it with a chromed aftermarket one soon), years ago even a cheap Econo70 had chrome pipes

- Never had any problems with a noisy chain, but I lube and tighten the chain on the bike regularly, the only time I had a noisy chain was when it was too loose because I didn't bother doing maintenance on it after some kilometers riding in the rain for a couple of days. If I recall correctly, the manual says to lube the chain every 500km or whenever it is ridden through unfavorable weather conditions.

-Brakes are not as good as I had expected (especially the front), it takes time to get used to, but I'm used to them now. Sometimes, I smile at myself whenever I inadvertently make the bike fishtail and recover. They are way better than the ones the underbones we use as runabouts at home have.

- The damn screws on the bike are very tight as I said before in the post I made after changing the front windshield myself.

- While it would be nice to have CB®500F®(X) or an ER6N/F I'm quite satisfied with my little 150, especially with the speed limit for motorbikes on the roads I travel being lowered to 80 kph. The bike is still fun to ride while not costing too much on gas. There are times when I look for that extra "oomph" and then I say to myself I'm selling it and getting a bigger bike... but then there are days when I'm grinning ear to ear inside my helmet. That being said if I had a bigger faster bike I'd probably be back at doing crazy stuff.

Edited by RED21

bingo,

You are talking nonsense man, i am sorry. You disrespect and judge people and provide wrong and crappy information, why do not you spend your valuable time somewhere else?

Thai people do not user rear brakes, accidents at every light in Bangkok, tire losing more grip bc of more stopping power? what are you saying man?

You just mislead people here actually, nobody is stupid to trust what you are saying i am surelaugh.png

The majority of the weight of a bike is on the front wheel, 80% of stopping power is on front wheel, if you drive a wave in heavy rain and you brake heavily on the rear the rear wheel won't grip anything and will just aquaplane. So lets add more stopping power to that rear wheel so we can loose grip and aquaplane even more! That's what i'm saying "man"

Understand how bikes work now "man"?

sounds like you waited too long to oil it, when that happens the chain will kink and its time for a new one.

Ive had 6 and wont argue the vibration, its quite the blender.(old model)

That was my original thought, but it didn't have much previous mileage, so i had it serviced and lubed it several times myself. Can't find any kinks and the chain is not loose, I've looked online and what i'm seeing is it's a "thai made chain" rather than Japanese. And is not good for much more than 10k km, the R6 is about 30 - 40k km so that would explain it. Hence my moan on build quality,

I would still rate the bike 7/10 for trips under an hour, noobs and track days. When the 500R comes in, I will mostly get rid of this and get it, the horrible honda cbr backbox and heatshield will be ripped off asap though. However, the 500 should be a 4 Cyclinder, so i'm still pondering as it's only a 2 Cyclinder and won't sound like my R6.

Bingo way are you comparing a CBR 150 or CBR 500 to an R6? An R6 is a supersport bike and the CBR's are sports bikes.

If you really want to buy a CBR 500 now you can probably go to BigWing and get one now, without really having to wait.

bingo,

You just mislead people here actually, nobody is stupid to trust what you are saying i am sure

The majority of the weight of a bike is on the front wheel, 80% of stopping power is on front wheel, if you drive a wave in heavy rain and you brake heavily on the rear the rear wheel won't grip anything and will just aquaplane. So lets add more stopping power to that rear wheel so we can loose grip and aquaplane even more! That's what i'm saying "man"

Understand how bikes work now "man"?

Man. You are ashaming yourself.

It is not about any type of brake.

It is all about how you apply the brake! Which comes with time - and goes with it too.

If you go hard on a drum brake on rain, you can get the rear slide too!

Anyway, no more brake talk with you.

Edited by loserlazer

Bingo way are you comparing a CBR 150 or CBR 500 to an R6? An R6 is a supersport bike and the CBR's are sports bikes.

If you really want to buy a CBR 500 now you can probably go to BigWing and get one now, without really having to wait.

I've only had the 150 4 - 6 weeks, need to keep it till at least wet season but I have sold R6 already picking up next week and gave nouvo to ex GF (bitch) . But I did see people test driving 500's at Big Wing on youtube, i thought you could only pre order and not buy yet? Cheap too at Big Wing, 210,000 and only 6% finance, not sure why it's a better deal than most dealers?

Yes I know the bikes are not in same league, I was just giving my preference why I prefer bigger bikes. The 150 is a good bike for learners and bit of fun, but for me, poor chain quality, bad vibration, and lack of low end speed and it's not passenger friendly, not for 2 guys anyway. Still the best small bike I've rode though.

Cheap too at Big Wing, 210,000 and only 6% finance, not sure why it's a better deal than most dealers?

Your confused

There are no dealers except BigWings when it comes to anything above the 250

Oh I see, however I was offered the 500 and different bike by a dealer for a similar price? I've also seen 300cc Honda scooters in there, they buy it from Bigwing and offer their own finance? Isn't that still a dealer as they are an offical honda dealership?

Didn't bigwing open just last year? their has been bigger bikes floating around long before that?

I've bought all my bikes 2nd hand, apart from the nouvo.