Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Ok, I'm NOT a happy camper this morning. The left rear light stalk was broke, but still up where it should be, and still ok to use. I go into Bosang to the little Tesco. I park AWAY from others, as usual. I'm in Tesco maybe 10 minutes, come out, and some other asshol_e had hit it and broke it the rest of the way!!! So now it's just dangling by the wires. So, straight to Honda to get a new one. The had in stock, took 10 to change and they were done, then hit me with "sticker shock". 890 baht. Normally 920, but because I am "good customer", they discount for me. Then they offer new shirt for wife that she liked. Normally 500, discounted to 300, and a new pair of leather gloves, normally 1060, but discount to 850. The discounts are nice, but still ticked about the price of a single stalk light!! But I also had then check the chain for proper tightness, and oil it good from riding in all the rain.

Oh, well, so it goes.

Parts for the new CBR 150 are expensive man, i was going to get the rear 43t sprocket off the new model to put on my older CBR and they wanted 390 baht at Sangchai and 570 at Niyom.:o

The regular price is 100 baht for the old bike !

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm NOT a happy camper this morning. The left rear light stalk was broke, but still up where it should be, and still ok to use. I go into Bosang to the little Tesco. I park AWAY from others, as usual. I'm in Tesco maybe 10 minutes, come out, and some other asshol_e had hit it and broke it the rest of the way!!! So now it's just dangling by the wires. So, straight to Honda to get a new one. The had in stock, took 10 to change and they were done, then hit me with "sticker shock". 890 baht. Normally 920, but because I am "good customer", they discount for me. Then they offer new shirt for wife that she liked. Normally 500, discounted to 300, and a new pair of leather gloves, normally 1060, but discount to 850. The discounts are nice, but still ticked about the price of a single stalk light!! But I also had then check the chain for proper tightness, and oil it good from riding in all the rain.

Oh, well, so it goes.

Parts for the new CBR 150 are expensive man, i was going to get the rear 43t sprocket off the new model to put on my older CBR and they wanted 390 baht at Sangchai and 570 at Niyom.:o

The 100b one was that an after market one, probably Jomthai Asahi or similar. The quoted one was probably a Honda bagged product hence the price. But then maybe i'm wrong. Ids the new one the same bolt holes as the old one?

Edited by thaicbr

I just sat here and did a rough estimate of how much I've spent at Honda in the past 4 years on bikes & accessories.

New Airblade - New Scoopy w/accessories - 2 CBR's (one one style, one new) - 2 helmets (didn't like the free ones) - 2 racing jackets - 2 pair of gloves, assorted other things.

Sheesh, I should own stock in them!!!

:blink:

Oh, well, so it goes.

The 100b one was that an after market one, probably Jomthai Asahi or similar. The quoted one was probably a Honda bagged product hence the price. But then maybe i'm wrong. Ids the new one the same bolt holes as the old one?

Yes either JT or Asahi, never had any problems with them.

Only OEM are available at the moment in 43t in CNX, no ones taken on manufacturing the 43t yet. I eye balled it then asked somchai if it fits and he gave a resounding 'yes it will fit' after going into the showroom to take a look.

15/43t (2.86) is the magic number for me, is either that or go 14/40 (2.857) or 16/46 (2.875) ....<<< this would require a new chain, and i just bought a new one. 14/40 would be lightest, but i don't want a 14t up front. I always break chains with 14t in front on previous bikes.

Just want the bike to hold at 150 kph without revving too high and losing too much low end, may have to bite the bullet and pay Mr. Honda his 390 baht, has to be ordered too, none in stock.

Where in CNX can you get the chain properly cleaned and lube, Any garage/shop or the dealer. I just don't want to have to get all the supply myself. And I just don't have the space to properly do it at home. It's getting some what grimey.

Doing the cleaning yourself isn't really a daunting task. It also ensures your chain gets taken cared of regularly (I lube the chain every week and clean it every month).

You'll need the following:

*some kerosene to clean the chain

*an old small paint brush to apply the kerosene to the chain

*lots of old newspapers to protect your bike and tires from the fluids used

*gear oil in an oiler or a spray can of chain lube ( do not use WD-40 or similar products)

*a rear stand or an extra set of hands to hold up the bike (this makes things easier but you can do it by yourself without either)

*Some clean rags (an old cotton t-shirt or some micro fiber cloth will do) to wipe off any mess you make

Edited by RED21

Try the Honda Dealer (Niyom Panich) at Mahidol Road.

Being friendly and generous to the mechanics always does wonders.

I've found that a 20 baht "tip" on the freebies they do from time to time, goes a LONG way in making sure I'm taken care of promptly whenever I have to go in.

:jap:

Oh, a couple more things..

The battery needs charging every couple of months now so time for a replacement. Are there any alternatives to a "standard" replacement battery and any one know of the likely cost?

Also, what revs does your CBR150 idle at, if I may ask?

Cheers.

Battery cost about 250-300 baht for a non sealed type. Sealed cost around 350-450 baht. Try not to get one that is calcium, those like to solidify after time.

My older CBR idles at 1400 rpm, air screw at around 2.5-2.75 turns counter clockwise. Mess around with the idle after checking the airscrew, a 1/4-1/2 turn of the idle knob can make a big difference in the RPM range it operates best in.

If you change the plug to a NGK CR8EGP, you'll see a nice difference.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

If you Chiang Mai riders want to do a cooling system check and see some nice jungle at the same time, take a run up past Mae Taeng on HWY 107. Go through town, then straight past the signal light at the road to Mae Ngat Dam. Then take a left just before Mile Post 47 which is about 6 km (guessing here) past the last traffic light. (The number 47 faces the road, not traffic. Don't let the smaller digits confuse you.) There are two roads at this Mile Post and take the one before the post. You climb 18 kilometers of the some of the steepest roads I have found yet. A fun ride on a light bike but it will tax the cooling system especially two-up as we did it. Once over the top, you can continue 8 km back to the 107 and come out at the Chiang Dao check point or explore other roads on your own. Very beautiful area and it reminds me of Mae Salong with all the tea fields.

Mile Post 47.kmz

Sounds great, love Mae Salong so will be sure to check it out.

Was just checking it out on Google earth and you can really see the elevation rise.

I've been looking a this same peak from 1095 and trying to figure out how to get there. Thank you for the tip.:jap:

Edited by KRS1

Sounds great, love Mae Salong so will be sure to check it out.

Was just checking it out on Google earth and you can really see the elevation rise.

I've been looking a this same peak from 1095 and trying to figure out how to get there. Thank you for the tip.:jap:

You got it! Let us know how you like it up there. By the way, once you get to a three way intersection above the Lahu village, take a left and you end up at a viewpoint with lodging for government employees. Nice views from up there.

There's also a decent riverside restuarant near the Mae Ngat dam, just in case you get hungry. :D

An English friend once told me they shot scenes for Rambo 4 near the river :)

Some nice twisties towards Chiang Dao to the right after the local Land Transportation Office, but be careful as the roads are sometimes very narrow (at least there's no potholes).:)

Hey fellas those twisties on the way back after coming out at the checkpoint were great, been looking for something like those curves around here. Went left after coming out at the checkpoint to Chiang Dao, then turned around and went back the other way, those curves are awesome ! These Michelins were loving it !

Just so no one gets confused, those curves are on 107 on the way to Chiang Dao/Fang... the main road. Just a guess, but its about 8-10 minutes worth of curves. Just go straight instead of turning at mile marker 47.

Going to check out the ride to the surrounding areas of Fang next, looked beautiful around there.

Edited by KRS1

Hey fellas those twisties on the way back after coming out at the checkpoint were great, been looking for something like those curves around here. Went left after coming out at the checkpoint to Chiang Dao, then turned around and went back the other way, those curves are awesome ! These Michelins were loving it !

Just so no one gets confused, those curves are on 107 on the way to Chiang Dao/Fang... the main road. Just a guess, but its about 8-10 minutes worth of curves. Just go straight instead of turning at mile marker 47.

Going to check out the ride to the surrounding areas of Fang next, looked beautiful around there.

Doesn't sound like you liked the steeps through Huay Kod! If you like the curves on the 107 back from Chiang Dao, try the cut-across between Chiang Dao and Phrao some time. Best direction is to go up the east side road (I forget the number) and hit Phrao, then find the road that cuts directly west to the 107. It is not a long run of curves but the sight distance is good so you can really cruise.

I had ordered and paid for the ECM from API-Tech about 7 weeks ago. They mentioned a week after ordering that they were having problems with the programming, so i was happy to leave it until it was sorted. Unfortunately they now won't have it ready til after the New Year and are giving me a full refund. So, we will have to wait a bit longer to see what a reprogrammed ECM will extract from the 150! :( Unless someone knows of another company?

BTW, API didn't mention whether it was gonna be after Farang New Year, Chinese NY or Thai NY! :lol:

Had my CBR150 for 4 years now and still love it. One thing that has always caught my attention though is a slight increase in engine vibration, transferred through the seat and handlebars, when I hit 110kmh in 6th. It's as smooth as silk up to 100kmh but has always got more uncomfortable at 110+.

Anyone else get this or have a solution?

Mine's the 2002 model and I agree with you, smooth as silk up to an indicated 100kph, then quite a bit of vibration. I guess raising the gearing might help. Mind you, though my mileage I am putting on the bike is low,' Ceeby 'has got 84000 on the clock.

Had my CBR150 for 4 years now and still love it. One thing that has always caught my attention though is a slight increase in engine vibration, transferred through the seat and handlebars, when I hit 110kmh in 6th. It's as smooth as silk up to 100kmh but has always got more uncomfortable at 110+.

Anyone else get this or have a solution?

Mine's the 2002 model and I agree with you, smooth as silk up to an indicated 100kph, then quite a bit of vibration. I guess raising the gearing might help. Mind you, though my mileage I am putting on the bike is low,' Ceeby 'has got 84000 on the clock.

Still only got 7,100km on my "R" :P but then mine is still a bit younger than yours ;).

Up to 7,500 rpm it's the dog's, but at 8,000 rpm+, the crown jewels get a bit of a buzz :o

Had to get a car for work so the bike is purely recreational now. If I had the 250, reckon that might tempt me out a little more often :rolleyes:.

Edited by Marvo

Up to 7,500 rpm it's the dog's, but at 8,000 rpm+, the crown jewels get a bit of a buzz

The 150 relines at 1k more than the 250, with the 250 powerband it kicks at about 6000rpm and downturns then at about 8500rpm.

What's the story with the 150? What sort of rpm does the main kick come at?

Decided to find out how far I can go before having to fill up the tank again.

I got to about 270 km when the fuel indicator was at one bar.

On my road trips, mostly highway driving so not much "stop & go", and trying to maintain 115-120, I've actually gotten over 300 km on a full tank.

But like the ad says: "Your mileage may vary depending on road condition, weather, type of driver you are, and a lot of other bulls**t that we don't have time to mention, so you figure it out."

The old cbr would still have about a quarter tank left when it hits the red empty line and can go about another 80 kilometers.

You have that right! By the way, I filled up on some Pure up in Mae Taeng last week as you suggested. I was on vapors when I filled up and had been riding an hour. Immediately noticed a faster idle. Good stuff. Nice to see how the bike runs on fuel it was designed for.

The old cbr would still have about a quarter tank left when it hits the red empty line and can go about another 80 kilometers.

You have that right! By the way, I filled up on some Pure up in Mae Taeng last week as you suggested. I was on vapors when I filled up and had been riding an hour. Immediately noticed a faster idle. Good stuff. Nice to see how the bike runs on fuel it was designed for.

Do you have the carbed bike? Done anything to it?

Do you have the carbed bike? Done anything to it?

Old style carbed bike. Pretty much stock but jetted lean again to optimize better running up high.