August 27, 20206 yr Popular Post Another day in Chiang Rai with no plans so today was a good day to renew my 2-year car and motorcycle licenses which expire in October. My wife and I hoped in the car and headed to our first stop, the Immigration Office in Chiang Rai for my residency letter. We walked up to the door and were met by 2 IOs. We told them what I wanted, and the female IO asked to see my passport, a copy of my passport and a copy of my wife’s ID and house register. She handed the copy of my passport back to me and took the other documents into the building. We were asked to wait outside under a canopy set up in the parking lot. About 5 minutes later she came out of the door, smiling, and handed me the letter along with all the documents I gave to her. The cost was 300 baht. Next stop was at the clinic to get the health certificate. We walked in. No waiting. After being asked to move my arms and flex my fingers my weight, height and blood pressure were checked. In less than 5 minutes I had my health certificate. The cost was 100 baht. After a stop for lunch and a stop at home to make copies of the residency letter and health certificate we headed to the transportation office. Upon arrival I handed in 2 sets of documents. One for the car license and one for the motorcycle license. The document set consisted of a copy of the information page of my passport, copy of my latest extension of stay stamp, residency letter and health certificate. We took a seat and waited for about 10 minutes before I was called for the eye exam which consisted of looking at a set of lights and calling out the colors as the flashed. After that test, the second test was for peripheral vision. Staring ahead, the lady flashed lights either on the left or right and I called out the color. Done with the eye exam I sat down again and waited to be called. Within a short time, I was called up to a window to pay. The cost for the car license was 555 baht and an additional 305 baht for the motorcycle. After another short wait I had my picture taken and after a total of 40 minutes at the transportation office I walked out with my new 5+ year licenses. While my 2-year licenses expires in October, my new licenses expire in February 2026, on my birthday. The new licenses also had my new passport number on them since I renewed it after I obtained my original licenses.
August 27, 20206 yr Good they allowed you to go early for the 2-5 years, Last year when i did the 2-2 i had to wait for it to expire, Thai logic
August 27, 20206 yr Author 1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said: Good they allowed you to go early for the 2-5 years, Last year when i did the 2-2 i had to wait for it to expire, Thai logic Here in Chiang Rai I found that Immigration and other government services are fairly flexible. Last time I did my annual extension, which is always due near the end of January, Immigration said I could come in starting around early to mid December. My last extension the IO gave me the thumbs up because I do my 90 day reports on-line.
August 28, 20206 yr 15 hours ago, statman78 said: Here in Chiang Rai I found that Immigration and other government services are fairly flexible. Last time I did my annual extension, which is always due near the end of January, Immigration said I could come in starting around early to mid December. My last extension the IO gave me the thumbs up because I do my 90 day reports on-line. 15 hours ago, statman78 said: Here in Chiang Rai I found that Immigration and other government services are fairly flexible. Last time I did my annual extension, which is always due near the end of January, Immigration said I could come in starting around early to mid December. My last extension the IO gave me the thumbs up because I do my 90 day reports on-line. Was it mandatory for the health test for the 5 year? Kalasin only require it for the 2 year licence
August 28, 20206 yr good positive story. I will have to renew in October and as before again try to get the 5 yrs version ( I succeeded once , long time back, but lately they only give me the 2 yrs) I will have to use the office in Phrae.
August 28, 20206 yr Krabi again, walk in with medical certificate, old license, Passport, do reaction and visual tests, sign forms. Pay fee, have photo taken, get five year license, say thank you and leave. All done in fifteen minutes, I like Krabi...
August 28, 20206 yr Author 1 hour ago, mrmicbkktxl said: You didn't have to watch a 1 hour video? Not this time. When I went for my first license in October 2018 I needed to watch the video.
August 28, 20206 yr Author 29 minutes ago, ardsong said: good positive story. I will have to renew in October and as before again try to get the 5 yrs version ( I succeeded once , long time back, but lately they only give me the 2 yrs) I will have to use the office in Phrae. Good luck! I hope you get the 5 year.
August 28, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, ellathai said: Was it mandatory for the health test for the 5 year? Kalasin only require it for the 2 year licence The health test is required for both the 2 Year and 2 year to 5 year licence. If your LTO office doesn’t require it you are lucky, as I have been with the video which is supposed to be for every time. 1 hour ago, ardsong said: good positive story. I will have to renew in October and as before again try to get the 5 yrs version ( I succeeded once , long time back, but lately they only give me the 2 yrs) I will have to use the office in Phrae. If you get the 5 year licence depends on the visa or extension you have. Tourist or visa exempt get 2 years, the Elite visa is a tourist visa. 18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said: Good they allowed you to go early for the 2-5 years, Last year when i did the 2-2 i had to wait for it to expire, Thai logic You are allowed to renew up to 3 months early, but wait until 1 day after it expires and you get an extra 364 days. if your local office will not renew it/issue it just go to any other LTO
August 28, 20206 yr Author 4 hours ago, ellathai said: Was it mandatory for the health test for the 5 year? Kalasin only require it for the 2 year licence Here in Chiang Rai it was mandatory for the 5 year
August 28, 20206 yr 3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said: You are allowed to renew up to 3 months early, but wait until 1 day after it expires and you get an extra 364 days. Is that 2 to 5?
August 28, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said: Is that 2 to 5? All renewals 1 day after, 2 to 2 = 2 years 364 days 2 to 5 = 5 years 364 5 to 5 = 5 years 364
August 28, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, statman78 said: 7 hours ago, ellathai said: Was it mandatory for the health test for the 5 year? Kalasin only require it for the 2 year licence Here in Chiang Rai it was mandatory for the 5 year DLT.GO.TH 2 to 5 years health certificate required 5 to 5 years no health certificate required but TIT so YMMV
August 28, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said: All renewals 1 day after, 2 to 2 = 2 years 364 days 2 to 5 = 5 years 364 5 to 5 = 5 years 364 hopefully you are right on two of them but definitely wrong on the 2 to 2, it doesn't go to birthday, i did one last year, one day after expiry and got 2 years
August 28, 20206 yr 48 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said: hopefully you are right on two of them but definitely wrong on the 2 to 2, it doesn't go to birthday, i did one last year, one day after expiry and got 2 years As I said. TIT YMMV
August 28, 20206 yr 4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said: All renewals 1 day after, 2 to 2 = 2 years 364 days 2 to 5 = 5 years 364 5 to 5 = 5 years 364 From a 2yr to 2 yr licence will get you.... 2 years. From a 2 yr to 5 yr licence will get you.... 5 yrs + up to your birthday. From a 5 yr to 5 yr licence will get you .... 5 yrs + up to your birthday only if you go after it has expired, going before will get you 5 yrs.
August 28, 20206 yr 9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said: From a 2yr to 2 yr licence will get you.... 2 years. From a 2 yr to 5 yr licence will get you.... 5 yrs + up to your birthday. From a 5 yr to 5 yr licence will get you .... 5 yrs + up to your birthday only if you go after it has expired, going before will get you 5 yrs. for the 2 to 5 to get that do you need to go after it's expired?
August 29, 20206 yr 3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said: for the 2 to 5 to get that do you need to go after it's expired? Not sure, I don’t think it matters.
August 29, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said: Not sure, I don’t think it matters. Have to add that when I went 2 to 5 mine hadn’t expired and I got 5 years + up to my birthday ( 6 months ).
August 29, 20206 yr Author 4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said: Have to add that when I went 2 to 5 mine hadn’t expired and I got 5 years + up to my birthday ( 6 months ). I agree. I went before my 2 year expired (October 2020) and I got 5 years plus up to my birthday (February 2026)
Create an account or sign in to comment