Renewal of Drivers License, 2yr to 5yr, Success

statman78

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good they allowed you to go early for the 2-5 years, Last year when i did the 2-2 i had to wait for it to expire, Thai logic

Here in Chiang Rai I found that Immigration and other government services are fairly flexible.  Last time I did my annual extension, which is always due near the end of January, Immigration said I could come in starting around early to mid December.  My last extension the IO gave me the thumbs up because I do my 90 day reports on-line.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here in Chiang Rai I found that Immigration and other government services are fairly flexible.  Last time I did my annual extension, which is always due near the end of January, Immigration said I could come in starting around early to mid December.  My last extension the IO gave me the thumbs up because I do my 90 day reports on-line.  

15 hours ago, statman78 said:

Was it mandatory for the  health test for the 5 year?

Kalasin only require it for the 2 year licence

Krabi again, walk in with medical certificate, old license, Passport, do reaction and visual tests, sign forms. Pay fee, have photo taken, get five year license, say thank you and leave. All done in fifteen minutes, I like Krabi...

29 minutes ago, ardsong said:

good positive story. I will have to renew in October and as before again try to get the 5 yrs version ( I succeeded once , long time back, but lately they only give me the 2 yrs) I will have to use the office in Phrae.

Good luck!  I hope you get the 5 year.

2 hours ago, ellathai said:

The health test is required for both the 2 Year and 2 year to 5 year licence. If your LTO office doesn’t require it you are lucky, as I have been with the video which is supposed to be for every time.

1 hour ago, ardsong said:

good positive story. I will have to renew in October and as before again try to get the 5 yrs version ( I succeeded once , long time back, but lately they only give me the 2 yrs) I will have to use the office in Phrae.

If you get the 5 year licence depends on the visa or extension you have. Tourist or visa exempt get 2 years, the Elite visa is a tourist visa.

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good they allowed you to go early for the 2-5 years, Last year when i did the 2-2 i had to wait for it to expire, Thai logic

You are allowed to renew up to 3 months early, but wait until 1 day after it expires and you get an extra 364 days.

if your local office will not renew it/issue it just go to any other LTO 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, statman78 said:
7 hours ago, ellathai said:

Here in Chiang Rai it was mandatory for the 5 year

DLT.GO.TH

2 to 5 years health certificate required 

DA2390A1-0311-4F12-8553-228777A247D8.thumb.jpeg.a590463d80746b641aec52689787037d.jpeg

5 to 5 years no health certificate required 

2F1A9B0D-8866-4787-93A8-C1B929172689.thumb.jpeg.f48042c39554b5979e43ff86f4bca920.jpeg

but TIT so YMMV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

All renewals 1 day after,

2 to 2 = 2 years 364 days

2 to 5 = 5 years 364

5 to 5 = 5 years 364

hopefully you are right on two of them but definitely wrong on the 2 to 2, it doesn't go to birthday, i did one last year, one day after expiry and got 2 years

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

All renewals 1 day after,

2 to 2 = 2 years 364 days

2 to 5 = 5 years 364

5 to 5 = 5 years 364

From a 2yr to 2 yr licence will get you.... 2 years.
From a 2 yr to 5 yr licence will get you.... 5 yrs + up to your birthday.

From a 5 yr to 5 yr licence will get you ....

5 yrs + up to your birthday only if you go after it has expired, going before will get you 5 yrs.

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

From a 2yr to 2 yr licence will get you.... 2 years.
From a 2 yr to 5 yr licence will get you.... 5 yrs + up to your birthday.

From a 5 yr to 5 yr licence will get you ....

5 yrs + up to your birthday only if you go after it has expired, going before will get you 5 yrs.

for the 2 to 5 to get that do you need to go after it's expired?

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Have to add that when I went 2 to 5 mine hadn’t expired and I got 5 years + up to my birthday ( 6 months ).

I agree. I went before my 2 year expired (October 2020) and I got 5 years plus up to my birthday (February 2026)