Thailand’s monster flood visible from space

snoop1130

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Ok, and where does it say that Thailand told them they don't want their advice, they are foreigners, we don't need them?  Oh, it doesn't.  Because that didn't happen.

The article you posted said they came here as they were invited to by the Thai authorities and the delegation was organised by the Department of Water Resources and the BMA.  It also says the same foreign experts were brought in during the 2011 flooding.

So, it IS just a Thai bash because the truth is the exact opposite of that and the article you kindly posted proves that.

So much nonsense spouted on this forum.  So do you want to GOOGLE and try again?

I apologize 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:55 PM, CGW said:

No picture of the largest reservoir in Isaan, UdonRat which is as dry as it has ever been since constructed ~65 years ago?

Ubonrat (with a b even though it's much closer to Udon than Ubon) ran at very low %'s of capacity in recent years as well. Maybe it was over-designed or has been improperly operated (I guess noone is going to investigate original design given who was involved in its gestation?).

I haven't checked the earlier years for it's successful storge capabilities, but anyone can by checking into the page shown below. My screenshot is of 2019. Opened 54 years ago and ran dry for the first time in 2016 according to Wiki!

image.png.59735cdd8d0f8b8d5bf6ceb5b04febb2.png

On 8/28/2020 at 8:43 AM, Amplish said:

Thank you for at least entertaining the possibility that the Dutch are smart. The danger of floods in the Netherlands is generally not related to the local rainfall, most of the flooding is caused by the country essentially being an estuary, that receives water from upstream countries. Afterall, it is only a very small country. Thailand is more or less a single river basin congregating most rainfall into the Chao Praya. Average rainfall in Thailand and the period in which it falls is more of a factor affecting flood in Thailand than it is in the Netherlands. Still the system pictured would work in Thailand from a technnical point of view, just a matter of scaling it up. The lack of compliance with regulations and pervasive corruption in Thailand would work against it.

"Thailand is more or less a single river basin". Wrong (except if one reads the phrase 'more or less' literally). Thailand is "less" of a single river basin. It would be Thai centrist to ignore that large geographical area of Isaan drained by the Mun and its tributaries.

And yes we Isaanites are sensitive about being treated as a side-show????

17 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Ubonrat (with a b even though it's much closer to Udon than Ubon) ran at very low %'s of capacity in recent years as well. Maybe it was over-designed or has been improperly operated (I guess noone is going to investigate original design given who was involved in its gestation?).

Ubonrat (with a B - noted!) is a flooded valley with a dam, I have long followed the levels for personal reasons, your suggestion that it has been improperly operated has some grounding as it is owned by EGAT, have noted in the past that they seem to be more interested in producing electricity than conserving water for agriculture, believe they need +21% to produce power.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, josephbloggs said:

Not saying the Dutch aren't smart, and not saying Thailand couldn't do much better, but the average annual rainfall in the Netherlands is 700mm, Thailand is 1,650mm, so more than twice as much and it falls in a more condensed timeframe, generally over five months and we often have weeks / months without a drop.

If Thailand had the NL's volume of water to deal with and the NL's rainfall pattern I doubt we would see flooding here.  And vice versa - dump Thailand's rain in Holland and see how it copes.

This construction is not to deal with Netherlands rainfall and flooding. It is to protect the country from rainfall in other countries where the rivers flow through theirs.

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, CGW said:

Can you blame them, the esteemed advice on TVF has been to dig out existing reservoirs, make them bigger, deeper, if they had followed this advice they would have wasted billions of Baht and ended up with even emptier holes than they have now ???? 

Not necessarily.  Rain patterns and therefore the benefits of local storage vary in parts of Thailand.  In our part of Chonburi, ( a few k's inland from Phanat Nikhom) our slight rise in ground levels mean only one in every few storms ever reached us.  I have heard and watched thunderstorms many times that never came to our exact locale.  People only a k or so away getting huge rainfall and frequently a line across the highway where the rain stopped.  I have frequently been soaked in our local commercial centre and come home to a line across the highway and no rain at home that day at all.