Thai Driver's License In Phuket

natalie8

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Hope that helps you a bit.

Gerd

You can get the Intl. DL in Phuket. They have a big sign in English and Thai with the requirements.

There is a firm that advertises in the Phuket Gazette for intl driving licences. They have subtly changed the wording though, It now says, Translation of International Driving licence.

I wonder if you could convert that to a full Thai driving licence without having to spend a full day doing the written and "practical" test.

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

1. Passport with a non-immigrant visa

2. Photos for each licence you intend to apply for

3. Medical certificate, from any small clinic - costs about 100 baht

4. Letter from Immigration confirming your address in the area. Just bring your rental agreement alt. house book (if you own your own home) with you.

5. 105 baht for car licence / 55 baht for motorbike - valid 1 year.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

I just went through the ordeal on Friday, the 27th. :D I had an international DL but only for car, not for motorbikes. Bless my wife for sitting through this with me. You will need a Thai to navigate you. Very little English spoken in the Phuket office. Let me update a couple of points.

The letter from immigration can only be obtained in Phuket town. I was told this at the Patong immigration office. You will need a rental contract or house book.

My " medical" certificate cost 300 baht. It involved nothing medical.

You need 2 photos for each license you are applying for. You also need a packet of paperwork for each license. You will need copies of your visa stamp, most recent entry card and front page of the passport. Again, one set of copies for each license. You may copy the immigration form and medical certificate. You will need a 2X2 photo for immigration BTW. The license photos are 1X1.

It's one line after another. The reaction test and the colorblindness tests are a hoot. I had to take the test for the motorbike license. It was on computer and in English. Common sense multiple choice. The driving test is funny. Small course with nobody actually watching you. The staff is busy doing the paperwork for the next group. There is a lady who rents motorbikes there, 50 baht, which was fine as I had driven the car. And don't dress in shorts or swimwear. I know a guy who was sent away for "offence to a government office."

All total, 6 hours. In a non-aircondition facility!!!. Fortunately we had time to go out for lunch. Quite an experience. Oh, and 10 extra baht to have the license laminated. :o

I think you have all the info you need from these excellent replies. I would add, however, that you will want to use the "practice test" machines outside the testing room (they look like coin-operated video games) and make sure they give you the book to study from in advance.

The test is not that easy, especially given some weird English and the fuzzy displays on the monitor. But if you go through it beforehand on the practice machine that asks the exact same questions, you can simply memorize the correct answers. I didn't realize this going into it and was lucky to pass with the minimum score of 23/30. :o

In retrospect I was lucky I was in the last group called (so were all then other farangs if I remember correctly) so I ended up using the practice machine just to pass the time.

By the way, my Thai wife passed her driving test a few months back, even though she can't drive. however, she took lessons at a driving school that said they had "never had a single 'graduate' fail"...I don't know of any foreingers who have gone this route or if it is even an option to us...

Whateve the case, getting your licence is part of the experience of living here as an expat and one you will not soon forget

I just went through the ordeal on Friday, the 27th. :D I had an international DL but only for car, not for motorbikes. Bless my wife for sitting through this with me. You will need a Thai to navigate you. Very little English spoken in the Phuket office. Let me update a couple of points.

The letter from immigration can only be obtained in Phuket town. I was told this at the Patong immigration office. You will need a rental contract or house book.

My " medical" certificate cost 300 baht. It involved nothing medical.

You need 2 photos for each license you are applying for. You also need a packet of paperwork for each license. You will need copies of your visa stamp, most recent entry card and front page of the passport. Again, one set of copies for each license. You may copy the immigration form and medical certificate. You will need a 2X2 photo for immigration BTW. The license photos are 1X1.

Sounds pretty painful. Is there any negative to just sticking with my international license?

It's one line after another. The reaction test and the colorblindness tests are a hoot.

I heard about this from afriend of mine.

I had to take the test for the motorbike license. It was on computer and in English. Common sense multiple choice. The driving test is funny. Small course with nobody actually watching you. The staff is busy doing the paperwork for the next group. There is a lady who rents motorbikes there, 50 baht, which was fine as I had driven the car. And don't dress in shorts or swimwear. I know a guy who was sent away for "offence to a government office."

All total, 6 hours. In a non-aircondition facility!!!.

Yikes!!!!!

Fortunately we had time to go out for lunch. Quite an experience. Oh, and 10 extra baht to have the license laminated. :o

You can get the Intl. DL in Phuket. They have a big sign in English and Thai with the requirements.

There is a firm that advertises in the Phuket Gazette for intl driving licences. They have subtly changed the wording though, It now says, Translation of International Driving licence.

I wonder if you could convert that to a full Thai driving licence without having to spend a full day doing the written and "practical" test.

Just to note.. those are not legal to ddrive on.. You want an IDP not an IDL..

But yes they can be persuaded to turn an IDL into a Thai DL.. Shouldnt but they do.