Australian pension to Thai wife after death Information Please

I know a guy that has arranged things so that his 'super pension' goes to his wife after he passes away. It is definitely a thing that can be done, but it really should be done before the 'event.  My advice is when contacting the organisation to state that he had advised you and his wife (and others) that this what what he wanted done - he might have even sent an email or made a call you are not sure.  But if it is the Govt old age pension, then that does not go to the wife.

23 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I know a guy that has arranged things so that his 'super pension' goes to his wife after he passes away. It is definitely a thing that can be done, but it really should be done before the 'event.  My advice is when contacting the organisation to state that he had advised you and his wife (and others) that this what what he wanted done - he might have even sent an email or made a call you are not sure.  But if it is the Govt old age pension, then that does not go to the wife.

Thanks

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

If he has kept his 'nominated beneficiaries' up to date on his private pension then once you have contacted the provider should fall into place

In my understanding this statement is not entirely correct. When you nominate beneficiaries to your Superannuation fund they are only a guide which may or may not be adhered to by the Fund when deciding where any money should go.

The only way to ensure it goes where you want it to go is to make a "binding death nomination" and this is simple to do and all funds have a form for doing it. The nomination only stays valid for 3 years so you need to keep it up to date. 

1 hour ago, OOTAI said:

In my understanding this statement is not entirely correct. When you nominate beneficiaries to your Superannuation fund they are only a guide which may or may not be adhered to by the Fund when deciding where any money should go.

The only way to ensure it goes where you want it to go is to make a "binding death nomination" and this is simple to do and all funds have a form for doing it. The nomination only stays valid for 3 years so you need to keep it up to date. 

Yes you are correct in that the trustees have discretion. I would suggest if there is no challenge to the 'nominated beneficiaries' there is no reason at all for Trustees not to follow instruction. It is best to keep updating your instruction even if there is no change just to show your instruction reflects your current situation