Working Without Work Permit

Are you doing something illegal if you "help your wife" in her profession. Let's say your Thai wife has a farm, you are legally in the country with your marriage visa but without work permit.

Are you allowed to "help" your wife on the farm? Theoretically, I personally don't see any problem in that. Because if you can't help her on the farm, then a farang wife of a Thai farmer would not be allowed to do the housekeeping either without a work permit. Are there rules regarding to "helping" one's wife.

A work permit wouldn't be of much use, since animal breeding or other farming activity is prohibited for foreigners in thailand. So my guess is that is the only option left... :o:D

I understand this is some kind of a backdoor solution, but are authorities capable on busting you over this?? :D

As you can read in the following link:

http://www.boi.go.th/thai/business/legal_issues.html

Aliens engaged in work prohibited to them by Royal Decree (see below) shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine ranging from 2,000 to 100,000 baht, or both.

F. Restricted Occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations and professions that were then prohibited to aliens. This list has been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979.

Labor

Work in agriculture, animal breeding, forestry, fishery or general farm supervision

Masonry, carpentry, or other construction work

Wood carving

Driving motor vehicles or non-motorized carriers, except for piloting international aircraft

Shop attendant

Auctioneering

Supervising, auditing or giving services in accounting, except occasional international auditing

Gem cutting and polishing

Hair cutting, hair dressing and beautician work

Hand weaving

Mat weaving or making of wares from reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo pulp

Manufacture of manual fibrous paper

Manufacture of lacquerware

Thai musical instrument production

Manufacture of nielloware

Goldsmith, silversmith and other precious metal work

Manufacture of bronzeware

Thai doll making

Manufacture of mattresses and padded blankets

Alms bowl making

Manual silk product making

Buddha image making

Manufacture of knives

Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication

Shoemaking

Hat making

Brokerage or agency work, except in international business

Dressmaking

Pottery or ceramics

Manual cigarette rolling

Legal or litigation service

Clerical or secretarial work

Manual silk reeling and weaving

Thai character type-setting

Hawking business

Tourist guide or tour organizing agency

Architectural work

Civil engineering work

Thanks for all the reassuring replies. But I think you can imagine I was a bit worried about it. Wouldn't like to have to lower my pants for the guys in jail :o:D:D (not exceeding 5 years) :D

When I read this list before, it seemed to me that there was little left to do for a foreigner legally. As I read in the replies, people tell me not to sweat it. But I would still like to know if you can tell them: "Nah dude, I am not working here. Merely helping the wife. That's all".

The answer to the question is no you can't as it will be deemed working without a work permit.

But as stated by others, unless one of the locals takes a dislike to you or wants your wife and/or her farm, the chances of getting caught are very slim.

######, that list really limits my future options! :D

I was about to go into business making alms bowls and rolling cigarettes by hand! :D

:D So at least you must admit they didn't leave many options. e.g. "Labour" doesn't look like a really specified profession to me. :o:D

Aliens engaged in work prohibited to them by Royal Decree (see below) shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine ranging from 2,000 to 100,000 baht, or both.

Driving motor vehicles or non-motorized carriers, except for piloting international aircraft

Wow does that mean I cannot drive my own car??