Tourists to get unlimited 30-day extensions to stay after ‘visa amnesty’ ends

2 hours ago, taxin said:

I can confirm 100% this is the case, it happened to me on my recent visit to immigration. My wife who has processed my visa applications and one year extensions for the past 16 years was told to go to an agent, this was despite the IO recognising my wife and knowing full well she has never used an agent in 16 years.

The immigration officers don’t want you applying directly, they only get 1,900 baht and I would guess the officer will see none of this, they would however get more than this from an agent.

At what immigration office was this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/3/2020 at 6:06 PM, jackdd said:

Somebody who entered with a non-immigrant visa can apply for the same extensions, this is not limited to tourists.

The headline is of course very misleading

Are you sure? I have a none o which ran out in march, I did go sometime ago when it was time to extend for 60 days (1900B) and was told its an amnesty so i should go home. 

Now I am approaching the end of the amnesty, on a none o which is expired sometime ago. 

Question, can I go and extend my none O for a further 60 days now? my none o is not based on marriage (im divorced - single father) nor does it require any funds, i got it in the uk as I have a son at school here. I do not think that matters however just to be clear.

I see no point in extending for the 30 days like I was on a tourist visa, IF im entitled to 60 days extension if that makes sense, also might I add, im not 100% confident I can get the extension? ok just to break this down

1. I entered Thailand on the 19th of March admitted until the 16th of June.
2. Before the 16th of June I went to ask to extend and was told amnesty no need go home

3. Until now I have been on the visa amnesty like I assume 99% of other people here

----
My visa was issues in my home town of Hull, meaning I had to show my sons school licence copy, condo contract, school letter stating he is enrolled, and some other docs, nothing fnancial though as its my home country, I digress and probably you dont need to know this info just thought id add. 

My ultimate question is, can I go now and extend my none o for 60 days? can I just extend for 30 days? normally I can extend 60 days on my none o.
If the answer is yes, I can go to any office right? I heard as offices are busy they are allowing you to go to any?
If the answer is yes, is it 30 or 60 days I will get?
If the answer is no I cannot extend, will I have to leave this month? when the amnesty ends? if thats the case would I need to become a tourist? or fall down with some kind of migraine which stops me from flying *wink wink*

I appreciate I have babbled on here, just wanted to give you the full info, I have my son at school and just starting to get back into the flow after the whole covid took him off his studies for a bit, so I really do not want to have to leave this month, I've been told by alot of people sure I can go when I want and extend 60 days easy, but 2 close friends who do know a bit about visas said no because if i did extend 60 days in June it would be over now anyway so time to go! 

Really appreciate any replies in advance and thanks for even taking the time to read. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, ryanhull said:

Are you sure? I have a none o which ran out in march, I did go sometime ago when it was time to extend for 60 days (1900B) and was told its an amnesty so i should go home. 

Now I am approaching the end of the amnesty, on a none o which is expired sometime ago. 

Question, can I go and extend my none O for a further 60 days now? my none o is not based on marriage (im divorced - single father) nor does it require any funds, i got it in the uk as I have a son at school here. I do not think that matters however just to be clear.

I see no point in extending for the 30 days like I was on a tourist visa, IF im entitled to 60 days extension if that makes sense, also might I add, im not 100% confident I can get the extension? ok just to break this down

2. Before the 16th of June I went to ask to extend and was told amnesty no need go home

3. Until now I have been on the visa amnesty like I assume 99% of other people here

----
My visa was issues in my home town of Hull, meaning I had to show my sons school licence copy, condo contract, school letter stating he is enrolled, and some other docs, nothing fnancial though as its my home country, I digress and probably you dont need to know this info just thought id add. 

My ultimate question is, can I go now and extend my none o for 60 days? can I just extend for 30 days? normally I can extend 60 days on my none o.
If the answer is yes, I can go to any office right? I heard as offices are busy they are allowing you to go to any?
If the answer is no I cannot extend, will I have to leave this month? when the amnesty ends? if thats the case would I need to become a tourist? or fall down with some kind of migraine which stops me from flying *wink wink*

I appreciate I have babbled on here, just wanted to give you the full info, I have my son at school and just starting to get back into the flow after the whole covid took him off his studies for a bit, so I really do not want to have to leave this month, I've been told by alot of people sure I can go when I want and extend 60 days easy, but 2 close friends who do know a bit about visas said no because if i did extend 60 days in June it would be over now anyway so time to go! 

Really appreciate any replies in advance and thanks for even taking the time to read. 

Cheers

Is your son Thai nationality? Were you married to the mother at the time your son was born? It does appear that 60-day extensions, running from September 27 to November 25 are generally being granted. Your son must be with you when you apply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Someone reported success yesterdday in getting an extension permitted to stay until 26-Oct. He first applied on 26-August.
Details:
Malaysian Passport
Visa Exempt Tourist

Office: Muang Thong Thani Counter K (Bangkok)

Documents Submitted: TM7 Application, Embassy Letter, Photo
Price Paid: 1900THB

2029619699_ScreenShot2020-09-10at12_10_24AM.png.125ffefda9d9bb90474eceb905acefb6.png

Interesting. If a Malaysian can get ext. even it should be easy to fly home every day then any nationality should even if embassies reluctant to issue such 'fake' latter ????

9 minutes ago, worldfun said:

Interesting. If a Malaysian can get ext. even it should be easy to fly home every day then any nationality should even if embassies reluctant to issue such 'fake' latter ????

Which flights are currently going from BKK to KUL ?

8 minutes ago, worldfun said:

I would not call it a fake letter after reading the requirements for Malaysia here. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

These 2 might be a good reason not to return.

image.png.d69adeeb6978b7d8bde01693eea79bf5.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Which flights are currently going from BKK to KUL ?

At least MalaYsia Airlines I guess. I would think airasia too & others:

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0&gl=my#f=0&flt=BKK,DMK.KUL.2020-09-10;c:THB;e:1;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

But perhaps I was mistaken to assume it's easier to get back home to MY than to TH...

Maybe only the EU is the 'easy' countries to travel to these days...

30 minutes ago, JTXR said:

What a world. 

Folks outside wanting in scrambling to get fit-to-fly certificates, and folks inside not wanting to be forced out scrambling to get unfit-to-fly certificates. 

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

Yeah, it's all ridiculous.  It's most logical and economical and safest to just continue the amnesty. 

13 hours ago, ryanhull said:

----

Cheers

The 30 days extension is via an embassy letter and only if it's impossible to get a flight back home. The 60 days extension is based on being married to a Thai or having a child, + the correct documents from your amphur. The third option is a one year extension based on marriage or having a child. Plus, of course, you need to meet the financial requirements. Go for the 60 days extension if you're the legal parent of your kid and have the birth certificate. 

9 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Someone reported success yesterdday in getting an extension permitted to stay until 26-Oct. He first applied on 26-August.
Details:
Malaysian Passport
Visa Exempt Tourist

Office: Muang Thong Thani Counter K (Bangkok)

Documents Submitted: TM7 Application, Embassy Letter, Photo
Price Paid: 1900THB

2029619699_ScreenShot2020-09-10at12_10_24AM.png.125ffefda9d9bb90474eceb905acefb6.png

why did i have to dig so hard on the internet to find this. THank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The 30 days extension is via an embassy letter and only if it's impossible to get a flight back home.

There is no requirement that it has to be impossible to get back home, or anything like that.  The only requirement is that your embassy will write you a letter requesting an extension.  

Edited by Phillip9

4 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

There is no requirement that it has to be impossible to get back home, or anything like that.  The only requirement is that your embassy will write you a letter requesting an extension.  

And they will only write you that letter , IF there is no way of getting back home or you are in the process of applying for a long term visa

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

And they will only write you that letter , IF there is no way of getting back home or you are in the process of applying for a long term visa

No definitely not true.  For example, the US embassy will give any American a letter even though there are daily flights to the USA.  

13 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Correct. That is corroborated by the Malaysian person in my post. I asked him, and he said he was not interviewed for his extension. He simply wrote down in the Reason: section of his TM7...."There is a covid outbreak in my country".  That, plus his embassy letter, and 1900baht was enough to get stamped further to 26-Oct.

i am an irish citizen(born in belfast)and will a letter be issued by the irish embassy in bangkok if returning to ireland is particularly hazardous given the rather uncertain  and potentialy dangerous covid situation in the reublic of ireland both now and for the forseeable future

I am sure i could approach the thai immigration office as sept 26th approaches but a letter from your embassy leading to a free of charge 30 visa sounds better

1 minute ago, solomon david said:

i am an irish citizen(born in belfast)and will a letter be issued by the irish embassy in bangkok if returning to ireland is particularly hazardous given the rather uncertain  and potentialy dangerous covid situation in the reublic of ireland both now and for the forseeable future

I am sure i could approach the thai immigration office as sept 26th approaches but a letter from your embassy leading to a free of charge 30 visa sounds better

It won't be free of charge, you'll still have to pay the standard 1900 baht fee.

6 hours ago, solomon david said:

Do you have any other options to extend your stay, rather than applying for the Embassy letter supported 'special' 30-days extension of stay?

If you intend to subsequently apply for the 1-year extension of stay, it is recommended to enquire at your local IO whether they would be willing to do that when applying from a 'special' Embassy letter extension.

late last night (thursday)i sent an email to the irish embassy in bangkok regarding extending a visa for a further 28 days and today received the following reply.....

Thank you for your email. The Immigration Bureau of Thailand have released the below information for persons wishing to remain in The Kingdom of Thailand beyond 26 September 2020 when the visa amnesty expires.

As can be seen in the above information: 

· 

Persons holding a Short-term visa who wish to remain in Thailand can only apply to do so in two situations:

1. Medical illness

§    We have been informed by the Thai Immigration Authorities that persons require a medical certificate from their doctor outlining their illness and ongoing treatment for this illness which prevents them from leaving Thailand at this time – The Thai Immigration Authorities do not require a supporting letter from an Embassy in such cases.

1. Travel restrictions preventing return to home country

§    Current travel restrictions do not prevent return to Ireland at this time. Flight routes to Ireland remain open, see further beneath. Accordingly, as flights to Ireland are available, the Embassy is not in a position under the Immigration Bureau of Thailand guidelines to issue any supporting letter. 

Accordingly, Irish citizens holding short-term visas who do not have a medically certified medical illness as referred to above are strongly encouraged to return home to families and support networks in advance of 26 September 2020.

It should also be noted, that there is no guarantee that the Immigration Bureau of Thailand will grant a 30 day extension in the medical certificate circumstances indicated above. Relevant persons can submit an application for consideration by to the Immigration Bureau of Thailand (LINK). Decisions in this regard are solely a matter for the Thai Authorities at the Immigration Bureau of Thailand and the Embassy of Ireland has no function in this matter.

The restrictions on international travel imposed in the early stages of the Covid-19 outbreak have now been lifted and there is sufficient air capacity to return to Ireland, Europe and a range of other destinations. 

A range of air carriers, as per the table further below, are operating regular services from Bangkok.

List of airlines operating commercial flights out of Thailand

Airline

Status

Destinations

Observations

KLM

Operating

Every day (1-3 Flights/day)

Amsterdam.

Connecting flights to

Dublin

Transit through Amsterdam: EU nationals can transit. Please see IATA for more details.

Air France

Operating

Every day (4-5 flights/day)

Connecting flights to

Dublin Paris

Lufthansa

Operating

Every day (1-6 flights/day)

Frankfurt

Connecting flights to

Dublin

Eva Air

Operating

1 flight per week

London

Connecting flights to

Dublin

Swiss Air

Operating

2 flight per week

Zurich

Connecting flights to

Dublin

Korean Air

Operating

2 flights per week to London and Paris via Seoul

Seoul then connecting with London and Paris

Transit through Seoul: Europeans travelling from Thailand can transit Seoul if they have an onward ticket to Europe. See Korean Air entry restrictions and IATA

Qatar Airways

Operating

Daily flight.

Doha then connecting with Dublin and many European destinations

Transit through DohaQatar Airways website “Passengers with onward connections through HIA [Doha Airport] will be accepted for travel and Qatar Airways’ global network will continue its operation for transit passengers as normal, subject to entry restrictions at their final destination” 

Emirates

Operating

Every day

Dubai

Connecting flights to Dublin.

Etihad

Operating

1 flight per week

Abu Dhabi

Connecting flights to

Dublin

Transit through AUH

https://www.etihad.com/en/travel-updates/covid-19

All persons travelling to Ireland must complete the Passenger Locator Form and complete 14 days of Restricted Movements as per the requirements set by the Government of Ireland and the Health Service Executive.

Please ensure that you are aware of the requirements and see the enclosed links for further information.

HSE – Restricted Movements

HSE – Passenger Locator form

HSE – Community support available

Please note that Ireland does not request a Covid Free Certificate for entry. Some transit destinations may have specific measures in place and you should check with your carrier in advance of travel.

Please continue to follow our social media channels Facebook Twitter for further updates on Thailand and Myanmar. 

• Thanks 1