Tourists to get unlimited 30-day extensions to stay after ‘visa amnesty’ ends

Thanks Cheryl , according to the Aus Embassy flights back to Aus are very hard to get a seat on with some people applying 4,5 and 6 times and not getting seat so even if i have to leave it could take some time to actually catch a flight .

Unfortunately i am from the west coast and flights are only going to the east coast so even more problems when i do get back .

Edited by keith101

It's never perfect and a lot of people are again complaining...but they keep you informed...many country's leave you to wonder...ok it's the farang that want to be in there country and yes many thai's see it a total different way then we do... take your stuff and leave,if you don't like it,and if you do like Thailand...you already did your papers ,because you get informed at all the immigration offices... ohhh learn there language ,it helps you 200% ????

Be happy with them wanted to keep it healthy (and i know many are suffering) but this price-tag is less then many country's who are suffering there 2-3 wave... and for Thai's you have to compliment them...farangs telling always that they hunt your money...by keeping there borders closed...they are not willing your money above there health,what many country's are doing for sure. And yes you need to pay your border-run and your extention visa and your other legal paperwork... so be it. I wonder if you all get it for free in your country's...ohhh dont forget...you pay taxes in your country, not in Thailand...and if you have a business ok u pay 7% try it in your country... i hate people who are always complaning about how other are working... let us try to help people that are there for the first time...people who are trying to stay legal and not life there but are stuck...people that really like the way of the thai but just dont have experience yet how and what to do...

Start to complane about my answer...i don't care ! but i do love the country,i do love the easy way of live if you just totaly legal, greets and stay healthy ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

because extending another 6 months was asked too mutt

immigration needs those 1900 baht monthly fees

why don't they come up with another ripp-off ?  1900 x 12 months, paid at once for a 1 year visa

would prefer that to give to crooked AGENTS , which are charging now up to 70.000 baht I read in some posts

Because the crooked agents are sharing half of the 70K with the immigration, much more lucrative than charging 1,900 each time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Money, Money, Money for each extension.  Would not a 90 day extension been better.

The 1900 Baht/mo is not a problem - just have to make up the lost work-time at Immigration on the weekend.  The 35K+ Baht "agent fee" felony-activity for an extension I qualify to receive was a problem. 

I'll be happy to do the 1900 Baht route, so I can stay with my Thai family and continue working (have WP).  I already have my first letter from the USA Embassy, so should be good at least until late November, now.

5 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I am okay my retirement visa is good until June 2021 but surely it would make sense if they just extended the current visa amnesty for a further 3 months instead of having to provide letters to get a 30 day extension it’s just a wasted paper exercise and a burden on all the immigration offices in the kingdom the only winners that I can see will be visa agents who will be ripping off those desperate for some form of visa .

The embassy-letter policy has reduced the number of foreigners forced into the agent-laundered-payoff pipeline.

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The amnesty was given because the Gov didnt want people congregating at immigration and spreading the virus , since Thailand had been virus free , theres no need to stop people congregating at immigration and so they can once again get visa extensions  

True - and Richard Barrows tweet-pics of the crowds definitely ramped-up the pressure to end the hypocrisy.

But, Immigration were later denying extensions to those who did NOT go to immigration during the height of the 'outbreak', as told by the govt they should not.  They are STILL potentially blocked from their extensions at some offices, though at least these embassy-letters seem to lift the roadblock.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

An inmate has just tested positive for the virus.  And that ends the 100 days of no new cases.  And Myanmar is having a little outbreak and many are sneaking across the border.   Now isn't the best time to have people going to immigration offices in big crowds and fighting with immigration over embassy letters.  It's getting worse, not better.  

Let's hope, this time, they only ask the < 1% who are vulnerable to this virus to self-quarantine - not destroy the livlihoods of those who managed to survive the last shutdown.

15 hours ago, genericptr said:

On what grounds? I have a ticket and I'm able bodied. Many of us simply don't want to go back now, especially in the US where the virus is causing so much damage.

Latest USA-CDC revised numbers - 94% of covid-deaths had 2+ co-morbidities, and the vast majority very old (vast majority of the remaining 6%, also).  If one fits those categories, then an appeal on compassionate grounds would be appropriate.  For me and the other 99%+ - I am more likely to die in a taxi in Bangkok this month - far higher if I take a moto-taxi somewhere.

That said, I think they should extend the stays of anyone here who has incoming funds to spend - because that is what is best for the Thai people/economy.  There is no 'welfare for foreigners' here, so anyone broke would be at their embassy asking for a flight-loan.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

If you are married and have family here is Thailand why not apply for a Family visa? What visa re you on now?  I recently renewed my  visa No problems. If you are on a Non Imm visa then you would be expected to renew that visa in the normal way before Sept 26.

I tried - living with my Thai wife - based on proven Thai income, but they had "added new requirements" since the last report here, and I was denied at CW.  

Even with all the "new requirements" met, because my company didn't pay taxes on my income temporarily, due to the Tax-Dept offering a Covid deferrment, Immigration said THAT disqualified my application. 

Also hard to get "in office" pics with staff, when the city was shut-down, and everyone working from home - they told me THAT also disqualified an application. 

My Bank-Letter with waaay more than the min-income, valid WP, prior tax-payments going back 6 mo, etc - completely useless.  They don't care if you "really" qualify - they wanted the 35K+ Baht via a felony-bribe extortion via an agent.

This is a succesful report from someone else:

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Are we going back to the letter of embassy days where you can swore on false affidavits?

When could one do that?  For the USA, it is a felony to lie on a Stat-Dec - would lose your passport AND get a felony-record plus time in a USA-Prison if lying on one of those.  I don't know how many years the statue of limitations is - but would not be happy biting-nails for years.  Only idiots would try it.

Far more risky than using an agent to fake-financials here - where if caught, jailed, and booted (unlikely, given the corruption-levels here), you'd still have the rest of the world open to you.

But in this case - at least for Americans - you don't need to lie to get the embassy-letter - so a clear legal path forward is available.

19 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

A very sensible  and logical decision by Thai Immigration .

(I would also like to go on record and state this is exactly what I predicted that they would do )

Please PM me your predicted winning numbers for the next lottery draw. I love to rub shoulders with a winner????

3 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

Ok i am on a Non O multiple entry visa runs out in March next year I cannot cross the border so i take it i will get amnesty till the borders open

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

I have that visa which expires on the 4th January 2021 and is a ME O Visa .

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Ok so would it be possible to change to a tourist visa and take advantage of the 30 day extensions ?

We (Non-O VISA Thai-Family folks) need to apply for extensions from Sept 26 onward.  I doubt they will refuse these to non-tourists - but I suppose anything is possible.

More options may be available later (after Sept 15?) - maybe 60-days vs 30-days and/or relaxed criteria for Thai family (rumored). 

For now, I am planning on a 30-day extension through Nov 26 using an embassy-letter (USA).  If they deny it, I guess I fly to Turkey, after all.  Not going to overstay or participate in agent-crime to stay here.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Please PM me your predicted winning numbers for the next lottery draw. I love to rub shoulders with a winner????

969 lol not for me to reply but put it out there anyway  

Edited by JeffGroves

14 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Just because. Took 3 minutes online to get one from the US Embassy. No reason required. Don't think too much and go get yourself one. I got one the day they started being issued and no explanation was required. If you don't feel comfortable with it, that's up to you. Go fly back.

Can you help me with this? I’m from the USA and I need that letter to. How to get it? Got a link?

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

Somebody who entered with a non-immigrant visa can apply for the same extensions, this is not limited to tourists.

The headline is of course very misleading

Not true I have a non immigrant visa and was told unless I have had 400k sitting in the bank for  months I must leave. But I can come straight back and stay in the overpriced ASQ for 14 days. 

So I am being forced to leave after 25 years of being here. Seeing as all the nearby countries are closed, paying 35k for a return flight and then an extra 40-60k for ASQ to get the priviledge of staying for 10 weeks I am leaving. Bye bye and no money will be coming here from me while I am not here.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, audaciousnomad said:

Correct. This announcement effectively makes it so that by 26-Sept everyone will be in one of these groups: left the country, ended up with a new stamp bringing their permitted stay current, or officially on overstay. It's clear their goal is to reset everything and be done with the amnesty stuff. Doesn't mean they will get what they want...but it does show that this is their goal.

Disagree. The current verbal posturing surrounding the Sept. 26th date is code for I.O.s to collect as much money as possible from agents. As was the case in July, things will soften as the deadline approaches.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Not much good if embassies are not giving out letters, something visa agents will probably be able to sort out tho.

For those whose embassies are issuing letters.

With regards to the letter I received from the U.S. embassy at the end of last month that allows me to get the special stamp, which expires on September 26, it would be very easy to just use Photoshop to change the date of issuance of that letter (the date is on a white background with no watermark, etc.) and just use the same letter each month for as long as needed. If, of course, you still have the original or a copy of said letter.

Other than the date it was issued, there is no way for immigration to know if it is the same letter being presented repeatedly.

I don't know if it is the same for other embassy letters, and I'm not advocating that people should present falsified documents to immigration. Just putting this out there for anyone who has already used an embassy letter and is desperate.

7 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

With regards to the letter I received from the U.S. embassy at the end of last month that allows me to get the special stamp, which expires on September 26, it would be very easy to just use Photoshop to change the date of issuance of that letter (the date is on a white background with no watermark, etc.) and just use the same letter each month for as long as needed. If, of course, you still have the original or a copy of said letter.

Other than the date it was issued, there is no way for immigration to know if it is the same letter being presented repeatedly.

I don't know if it is the same for other embassy letters, and I'm not advocating that people should present falsified documents to immigration. Just putting this out there for anyone who has already used an embassy letter and is desperate.

And if they suspect the letter has been altered and simply call the telephone number on top of the letter to check?   I am guessing it is a serious crime to present a forged document to immigration.  You would be much better off just overstaying than doing this.

3 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

And if they suspect the letter has been altered and simply call the telephone number on top of the letter to check?   I am guessing it is a serious crime to present a forged document to immigration.  You would be much better off just overstaying than doing this.

As I mentioned in my post; 

"I'm not advocating that people should present falsified documents to immigration. Just putting this out there for anyone who has already used an embassy letter and is desperate."

From the letter I received, there would be no reason to suspect it would be a forged document. And, do you really think an I.O. is going to take the time to call the embassy to inquire whether the letter was actually issued on the date specified. They aren't going to care. Remember immigration will be receiving 1,900 baht each time they issue one of these 30 day extensions. That is what they will be focusing on.

As for overstaying, I would feel much safer taking my chances presenting a document with a simple, undetectable date change any day than overstaying a visa.

People with embassy letters that have gone recently were given a stamp of consideration?  Well, it was a stamp and they were told to come back on the 16th of September.  I wonder if this is done with.  I still think there is a chance of visa amnesty extension or the option to purchase a visa in country.  They're talking about a 270 day tourist visa now. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

As I mentioned in my post; 

"I'm not advocating that people should present falsified documents to immigration. Just putting this out there for anyone who has already used an embassy letter and is desperate."

From the letter I received, there would be no reason to suspect it would be a forged document. And, do you really think an I.O. is going to take the time to call the embassy to inquire whether the letter was actually issued on the date specified. They aren't going to care. Remember immigration will be receiving 1,900 baht each time they issue one of these 30 day extensions. That is what they will be focusing on.

As for overstaying, I would feel much safer taking my chances presenting a document with a simple, undetectable date change any day than overstaying a visa.

They might check.  At least at the main offices they must already know which embassies are giving letters and which aren't, so if you show up with a letter from a country that is not issuing letters, it will be obvious.  They are also not typically giving the extension stamp the same day you apply, so the reason might be to give them time to call and check.

I am sure they would also report you to your home country and you could face serious consequences for falsifying a document in your governments name.  

The 1900 baht is nothing compared to the large fine you would be getting after getting caught.

Edited by Phillip9

22 hours ago, DrTuner said:

So .. every 30d from September 26th the immigration offices will be packed and deserted in the meanwhile? Can't they just do the "amnesty" until further notice, with the 30 days at the end when travel normalizes, instead of creating bureaucratic mess.

Won't these extensions cost 1900 baht?  

20 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

People with embassy letters that have gone recently were given a stamp of consideration?  Well, it was a stamp and they were told to come back on the 16th of September.  I wonder if this is done with.  I still think there is a chance of visa amnesty extension or the option to purchase a visa in country.  They're talking about a 270 day tourist visa now. 

I'm not sure about this time around, but the first round of covid embassy letters that were issued before the amnesty also resulted in a consideration stamp. Supposedly (according to the IO in KhonKaen), the paperwork was sent to the main office for approval, although as far as I know everyone got approved.

Looking back, jumping through the hoops to get that letter (as well as all the ridiculous paperwork) was pointless, because I actually went on amnesty along with everyone else about a week after I submitted it. 

Edited by Benitostacos

46 minutes ago, TonBrow said:

You don't need to do that. U.S. Embassy is willingly generating new letters since last week. See Ubonjoe's post #169 for the letter request form. ????

23 minutes ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

The 270-day is a proposal, and it is for incoming tourists. It is not being proposed(yet) for those who are already in-country.