what is this trunk thing on the right side of the window ?

scammed

18 hours ago, alacrity said:

Yes, a concept.

Interesting that it's a truck based on an existing SUV platform, rather than the opposite approach from many mainstream manufacturers that don't primarily design for third world markets.

If you understood the definition of a third world country and therefore third world markets, you might then realize that your comment makes no sense.

To give you a clue Thailand unlike Switzerland has never been classified as a third world country.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:43 PM, johnray said:

It's so the engine can work when there is a flood.  Actually a really smart idea.

They are not water tight they are to get the cleaner less dusty air to your engine when off roading to keep your air cleaner from plugging up and leaning out the engine. However you will not be the first to hydraulically lock up your engine thinking you are driving a submarine.

• Like 2

Just now, 5633572526 said:

They are not water tight they are to get the cleaner less dusty air to your engine when off roading to keep your air cleaner from plugging up and leaning out the engine. However you will not be the first to hydraulically lock up your engine thinking you are driving a submarine.

Very correct. Unless you verify the water-tightness before.

Some Landcruiser models are NOT watertight. I know by first hand experience.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, ChouDoufu said:

Correct, for those week-end warriors who want to drive through creeks and rivers with their pick-up half submerged. Also, can lessen amount of dust entering the air filter. Usually, fitted as an added accessory.

1 minute ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Correct, for those week-end warriors who want to drive through creeks and rivers with their pick-up half submerged. Also, can lessen amount of dust entering the air filter. Usually, fitted as an added accessory.

Yes its on the Option List as a "Penis Substituent for Dick Heads". they pay you to have it fitted. ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2020 at 1:29 PM, LukKrueng said:

I never understand why so many people who have absolutely NOTHING to contribute to a conversation feel that their voice must be heard...

To answer your question: combustion engines need air in order to work. For a car to be able to operate when the engine is under water (when crossing a deep steam) the engine must have the airway uninterrupted. The snorkel being above water ensures air can enter the engine and not water. 

Another reason for snorkel is when driving on dirt roads where cars in front produce a lot of dust which might block the air filter and choke the engine. Having the air intake higher allows for cleaner air and reduce filter clogging. 

C'mon. Most of those vehicles fitted with the things have never seen water except through a hose when getting washed, or when it rains.

They are toys for a certain type of person to pretend that they are tough guys and impress the easily impressed. The roads are full of big cars being driven by small guys on an ego trip. Loads of farangs like that in LOS driving huge SUVs down narrow Thai streets. There is a psychological term for it that I can't use on TVF, but the first word starts with p, and the second word is substitute. ????

Ever driven on a dirt road? The dust cloud reaches considerably higher than any snorkel. ????

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, scammed said:

yeah, i suspected it was, but i think its a marketing toy more then anything else, if water is so deep that you get submerged, then a car will lose traction, and float altogether until the inside has been flooded

Indeed. I was fording a river in NZ in a Mk 1 Landrover, and when it got deep enough the vehicle floated down river till it got shallow enough to drive out. That was in an old Landy, so any new car is going to be way more watertight.

PS, the Landy was NOT fitted with a snorkel or an exhaust extension, but kept running.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:25 PM, Chassa said:

jBZkIFD.jpg

Aussie 4 wheel drive Holden ute (Pick-up). Maybe Chevrolet or Isuzu.

No Aussie Holdens any more. If there still exists a new car with a Holden badge it's not a real Holden.

That thing looks as if it would last about 5 minutes in the outback.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

48 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You shouldn't. It's a Landy being driven by a green wellied, Barbour clad Green Laner chappie, somewhere in rural England probably..

Yes, definitely England. What makes you think the driver is a Green Laner? Looks more like someone just going about their day to day business to me traversing a flooded tarmac road. Green laners are usually 4x4 or Land Rover enthusiasts from Land Rover clubs or GLASS (Green Lane Association) who drive rights of way for pleasure and to witness their often stunning beautiful views.

The soundtrack is The Highway to Hell. Route 431 through Alabama is nicknamed The Highway to Hell due to the number of fatal accidents that have occured on it.

Edited by Lancashirelad

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

C'mon. Most of those vehicles fitted with the things have never seen water except through a hose when getting washed, or when it rains.

They are toys for a certain type of person to pretend that they are tough guys and impress the easily impressed. The roads are full of big cars being driven by small guys on an ego trip. Loads of farangs like that in LOS driving huge SUVs down narrow Thai streets. There is a psychological term for it that I can't use on TVF, but the first word starts with p, and the second word is substitute. ????

Ever driven on a dirt road? The dust cloud reaches considerably higher than any snorkel. ????

The op asked what is that thing fitted on the car. I think my answer was correct. The fact that some people fit it as a showoff doesn't change the fact of what it is and what it is used for. 

As for driving on dirt roads - yes I have. Have you? Simple fact is that as the dust go higher it mixes more with air and becomes less intense and therefore easier for the car's air filter to handle 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Route 431 through Alabama is nicknamed The Highway to Hell due to the number of fatal accidents that have occured on it.

the reference to alabama was the hillbilly driving in the creek with her car flooding

Edited by scammed