what is this trunk thing on the right side of the window ?

scammed

1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

"what is this trunk thing on the right side of the window ?"

The round things at each corner are wheels, they're there to enable the vehicle to move.

that does not further the answer to the protruding black trunk on the left side on the window,

it sort of stick out and break the symmetry of the vehicle

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

Is that a Skoda ?

Yes, a concept.

Interesting that it's a truck based on an existing SUV platform, rather than the opposite approach from many mainstream manufacturers that don't primarily design for third world markets.

On 9/4/2020 at 2:43 AM, johnray said:

It's so the engine can work when there is a flood.  Actually a really smart idea.

The exhaust isn't above flood level, so good luck starting the car if it's under water.

I see loads of shiny cars around with them that have never been near a flood or a bit of dirt even. I can't describe the drivers or post would be deleted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The exhaust isn't above flood level, so good luck starting the car if it's under water.

I see loads of shiny cars around with them that have never been near a flood or a bit of dirt even. I can't describe the drivers or post would be deleted.

Although it's better to extend the exhaust so it's above water level, the more important is the air intake. When the engine is running before going underwater the exhaust can still function even if covered with water. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I never understand why so many people who have absolutely NOTHING to contribute to a conversation feel that their voice must be heard...

To answer your question: combustion engines need air in order to work. For a car to be able to operate when the engine is under water (when crossing a deep steam) the engine must have the airway uninterrupted. The snorkel being above water ensures air can enter the engine and not water. 

Another reason for snorkel is when driving on dirt roads where cars in front produce a lot of dust which might block the air filter and choke the engine. Having the air intake higher allows for cleaner air and reduce filter clogging. 

yeah, i suspected it was, but i think its a marketing toy more then anything else, if water is so deep that you get submerged, then a car will lose traction, and float altogether until the inside has been flooded

Edited by scammed
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, scammed said:

yeah, i suspected it was, but i think its a marketing toy more then anything else, if water is so deep that you get submerged, then a car will lose traction, and i suspect float altogether until the inside has been flooded

Not so much about deep, it is about splash. On my Vigo the air inlet is hidden high up between the inner wheel arch and wing to reduce the risk of thrown water induction...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Not so much about deep, it is about splash. On my Vigo the air inlet is hidden high up between the inner wheel arch and wing to reduce the risk of thrown water induction...

That make more sense than this ugly contraption.