Man Attacks Monitor Lizard In Lumpini

Richb2004v2

We spent an afternoon in Lumpini Park in Bangkok the other day. As the Taxi pulled up outside the park we spotted a large monitor lizard on the bank of the lake. From the Taxi I could see a Thai man crouched about two feet from the lizard seemingly examining the animal. When we finally got out of the taxi and reached the lizard the man had gone and we realized that the lizard was in the middle of eating something. The lizard was about 4 or 5 feet long and it was fascinating to watch. Within two minutes the Thai man reappeared with a very heavy and long stick. As I tied to figure out what he was going to do he marched over to the lizard and whacked it as hard as he could. I ran across shouting and tried to stop him from making any further interference. He got another hit in before the lizard escaped. I was quite worked up and very confused about why he was hitting the lizard. He informed my wife that he and some friends have taken it upon themselves to ‘look after’ the park. They patrol the grounds and when the opportunity arises they attack the monitors because they eat the other smaller animals. When we arrived he had been trying to stop the lizard from eating a small terrapin. I had my wife try to explain that this is the way if nature and if the Park do not see fit to exterminate the lizards then neither should he. He then claimed that one of the lizards bit off a gardener’s finger. He also claimed that when running around the park one day a lizard chased his friend and attacked him. I think this is ridiculous as I saw an old guy sleeping a few feet from a large lizard and another lizard walk past a different sleeping old guy, within a few inches.

I spent the afternoon in the park and saw the guy skulking around here and there, but without the stick.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this character doing his Steve Irwin impression around the park.

Incredibly I also saw another much older guy take a kick at one of the lizards, but I was very far away and can’t be sure what exactly happened.

I wonder... If it were an American park.... And a Non-citizen Thai decided to hassle an American on their actions as related to the general upkeep and or handling of the park.... What would happen?

Anyway... Good for you. You should wear a cape and a mask you superhero you. :o

Thais hate monitor lizards with a vengeance and consider them bad luck. Why I am not sure, and I have never gotten a good answer when I have asked why that is. Their very name is a curseword (Hia) and they are usually referred to, if they must be referred to at all, by euphemisms such as 'Tua Ngern Tua Tong'" (Silver and Gold animal). We had several young lizards turn up dead in our yard, killed by our dogs. My wife was so shocked that she was reluctant at first to believe they were monitor lizards. Even though it was clear what they were she tried to convince herself that they were something else--such was her fear. The disgust and fear doesn't prevent them from being eaten in some areas however.

I wonder... If it were an American park.... And a Non-citizen Thai decided to hassle an American on their actions as related to the general upkeep and or handling of the park.... What would happen?

Attacking wild animals is hardly "general upkeep of a park" is it? Go look at yourself in the mirror again, Mr Wonderful.

Thais hate these animals with an unjustified passion; "hia" is a strong swearword here. "Tua ngoern, tua tawg" is the polite word for the monitor here, as qualtrough points out above^^; local mafia types put them in each other's gardens as a warning of bad luck to come...

Despite the misguided dysfunctional animosity towards these lizards, they seem to be quite plentiful. :D

Edited by kmart

Parks the world over are a magnet for nutcases. I think you met one. I have seen Thai and western people alike pointing at and watching these creatures with interest.

The man with the stick would proberbly be too dim to grasp that the reason Lumpini is a rat free zone is beacuse the lizards are there.

Good for you for stopping this idiot, in the same way most of us would try and stop a guy beating a dog.

Odd that I discover now that the Thais hate these creatures so much. One of the few times I saw a monitor lizard was when one was crossing route 36 not far from the Regents school, back in the days when #36 was single carriageway and known as the highway of death. Anyway far from being mangled under the wheels of the first truck it actually crossed the busy road unhindered, in fact the traffic took great care to pass around the beast.

It is said we sould take pains to learn something new every day and in Thailand sometimes it is difficult to keep this daily learning rate down to single figures.

What would have happened if he had been bitten? I understand they have a ferocious bite and a mouthful of germs

yeah, they can be pretty dangerous. i would'nt want to be bit by one. especially in Lumpini park of all places. that would certainly ruin my day.

i use to kill rattle snakes in northern califonia, not because i'm some sick sadistic bastard, but because i'd rather not cross it's path at some point in the future and accindentally step on one. they aren't endangered by any means.

monitor lizards don't belong in the concrete jungle of bangkok. there should be some wildlife relocation program of sort to put these animals in a proper place (hopfully it isn't the bottom of a dumpster).

I've seen these lizards for sale at butcher stalls in kanchanaburi market stalls! Poor blighters. Generally, this animal is considered dirty, and I think thats why they are hated so much. Be careful how you name these animals, "hia" is a very offensive word, and even saying it could be misconstrued by those around you.

We have some pretty large ones around here but thankfully the security guards chase them off with whistles and bamboo canes.

I think the guy you met in the park was probably an unemployable loonie exacting his sorrows on the defenceless animal.

Thais hate monitor lizards with a vengeance and consider them bad luck. Why I am not sure, and I have never gotten a good answer when I have asked why that is. Their very name is a curseword (Hia) and they are usually referred to, if they must be referred to at all, by euphemisms such as 'Tua Ngern Tua Tong'" (Silver and Gold animal). We had several young lizards turn up dead in our yard, killed by our dogs. My wife was so shocked that she was reluctant at first to believe they were monitor lizards. Even though it was clear what they were she tried to convince herself that they were something else--such was her fear. The disgust and fear doesn't prevent them from being eaten in some areas however.
My wife is thai and her opinion is the monitor lizard is a lowlife of the reptile kingdom !.( i personally think that its because they eat everything and are in competion with the thai culinary taste :o ). seems they are bad luck and it has been in the past that thais will take them in a pickup to a government office and throw them in as an insult !,.. ( funny old lot arent they ) Edited by mikethevigoman

What would have happened if he had been bitten? I understand they have a ferocious bite and a mouthful of germs
The one that had his finger bit off was probably trying to retrieve something the the lizard was eating that the thai fancied for his lunch! Remember, money number one, food number 2 !

I've seen these lizards for sale at butcher stalls in kanchanaburi market stalls! Poor blighters. Generally, this animal is considered dirty, and I think thats why they are hated so much. Be careful how you name these animals, "hia" is a very offensive word, and even saying it could be misconstrued by those around you.

We have some pretty large ones around here but thankfully the security guards chase them off with whistles and bamboo canes.

I think the guy you met in the park was probably an unemployable loonie exacting his sorrows on the defenceless animal.

[/quot Another thai word to use caution with is thai for snow !

i personally think that its because they eat everything and are in competion with the thai culinary taste :o ). seems they are bad luck and it has been in the past that thais will take them in a pickup to a government office and throw them in as an insult !,.. ( funny old lot arent they )

:D lol. Imagine if God sent some Old Testament-type plague to beset Thailand. "Locusts?" No problem. "Frogs?" Yummy. "Boils?" Erm,.... Just add some chilis and fish sauce, and we'll have a big f#cking party! :D

God gives up...

I've seen these lizards for sale at butcher stalls in kanchanaburi market stalls! Poor blighters. Generally, this animal is considered dirty...

monitor lizards are considered a delicacy in West Africa. by and large they are less "dirty" than a pig which does not mind to eat shit.

Odd that I discover now that the Thais hate these creatures so much. One of the few times I saw a monitor lizard was when one was crossing route 36 not far from the Regents school, back in the days when #36 was single carriageway and known as the highway of death. Anyway far from being mangled under the wheels of the first truck it actually crossed the busy road unhindered, in fact the traffic took great care to pass around the beast.

It is said we sould take pains to learn something new every day and in Thailand sometimes it is difficult to keep this daily learning rate down to single figures.

I have seen this too, out in Kanchanaburi. Big lizard crossing the road, all vehicles stopped as if they were in Europe or the USA waiting for some schoolchildren to pass. If it had been a dog or cat it wouldn't have had a chance. Funny that isn't it? Their hatred and fear of this animal in at least this way serves to protect it.

i personally think that its because they eat everything and are in competion with the thai culinary taste :o ). seems they are bad luck and it has been in the past that thais will take them in a pickup to a government office and throw them in as an insult !,.. ( funny old lot arent they )

:D lol. Imagine if God sent some Old Testament-type plague to beset Thailand. "Locusts?" No problem. "Frogs?" Yummy. "Boils?" Erm,.... Just add some chilis and fish sauce, and we'll have a big f#cking party! :D

God gives up...

DO you remember that classic Rising damp on british tv, rigsby had a coloured african lodging with him that was always whinging, rigsby says to him " you lot are never happy. you didnt even like the missionairies we sent over to help you " ,. coloured guy repies " on the contrary rigsby, they were delicious ! ,Classic

I have seen this too, out in Kanchanaburi. Big lizard crossing the road, all vehicles stopped as if they were in Europe or the USA waiting for some schoolchildren to pass. If it had been a dog or cat it wouldn't have had a chance. Funny that isn't it? Their hatred and fear of this animal in at least this way serves to protect it.

It is not to avoid hitting it they stop, it is to keep the remains off the car as bad luck will travel with you if you run the sucker over!

:bah: lol. Imagine if God sent some Old Testament-type plague to beset Thailand. "Locusts?" No problem. "Frogs?" Yummy. "Boils?" Erm,.... Just add some chilis and fish sauce, and we'll have a big f#cking party! :D

God gives up...

DO you remember that classic Rising damp on british tv, rigsby had a coloured african lodging with him that was always whinging, rigsby says to him " you lot are never happy. you didnt even like the missionairies we sent over to help you " ,. coloured guy repies " on the contrary rigsby, they were delicious ! ,Classic

Classic. :D "Alan" was the coloured guy. I bought a lot of those old editions on dvd recently.

Back on topic;

My g/f recently told me of some story where some motorist stopped for a roadside pee, and a monitor came out of the long grass and bit his dick off!!! :D Can anyone corroborate this, or is she trying to tell me something? :D

I think these monitor lizards are great, Ive seen quite a few here over the years, Bang saray has a few but the biggest I ever saw was in Bang na Bangkok ! theres quite a few around, I looked them up once on the internet and they cover much of Asia,

My Thai wife hates them so much she wont even talk about them ? another freinds wife told me once that they are dead people that have been reincarnated ! that woman was so scared of one living near her that she never went out at night ? I must admit when you get close to a big one, a six footer and your in their enviroment its very scary, they look like Gaters also they can run very fast !

We spent an afternoon in Lumpini Park in Bangkok the other day. As the Taxi pulled up outside the park we spotted a large monitor lizard on the bank of the lake. From the Taxi I could see a Thai man crouched about two feet from the lizard seemingly examining the animal. When we finally got out of the taxi and reached the lizard the man had gone and we realized that the lizard was in the middle of eating something. The lizard was about 4 or 5 feet long and it was fascinating to watch. Within two minutes the Thai man reappeared with a very heavy and long stick. As I tied to figure out what he was going to do he marched over to the lizard and whacked it as hard as he could. I ran across shouting and tried to stop him from making any further interference. He got another hit in before the lizard escaped. I was quite worked up and very confused about why he was hitting the lizard. He informed my wife that he and some friends have taken it upon themselves to ‘look after’ the park. They patrol the grounds and when the opportunity arises they attack the monitors because they eat the other smaller animals. When we arrived he had been trying to stop the lizard from eating a small terrapin. I had my wife try to explain that this is the way if nature and if the Park do not see fit to exterminate the lizards then neither should he. He then claimed that one of the lizards bit off a gardener’s finger. He also claimed that when running around the park one day a lizard chased his friend and attacked him. I think this is ridiculous as I saw an old guy sleeping a few feet from a large lizard and another lizard walk past a different sleeping old guy, within a few inches.

I spent the afternoon in the park and saw the guy skulking around here and there, but without the stick.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this character doing his Steve Irwin impression around the park.

Incredibly I also saw another much older guy take a kick at one of the lizards, but I was very far away and can’t be sure what exactly happened.

Assuming you are farang, I think it is better to mind your own business.

Back on topic;

My g/f recently told me of some story where some motorist stopped for a roadside pee, and a monitor came out of the long grass and bit his dick off!!! :D Can anyone corroborate this, or is she trying to tell me something? :o

If you every try to take a decent photo of one, you will realise they are very timid and not in the least aggresive when confronted by something bigger, e.g. a person. They will very quickly scamper away and hide.

:bah: lol. Imagine if God sent some Old Testament-type plague to beset Thailand. "Locusts?" No problem. "Frogs?" Yummy. "Boils?" Erm,.... Just add some chilis and fish sauce, and we'll have a big f#cking party! :D

God gives up...

Classic. :D "Alan" was the coloured guy. I bought a lot of those old editions on dvd recently.

Back on topic;

My g/f recently told me of some story where some motorist stopped for a roadside pee, and a monitor came out of the long grass and bit his dick off!!! :D Can anyone corroborate this, or is she trying to tell me something? :D

she is telling you that she thought it must have happened to you which explains the small dick

There are a lot of monitors in all regions of Thailand. I remember seeing a lot in the Khanom district in the South too. The Thai versions are "babies" compared to the monitor lizards or "Komodo Dragons" of Indonesia. :o Apparently, the animal's bite is not venemous as such, but possess some severe bacteria in their mouths that can kill humans. (As if the sheer size of them isn't enough already?).

Cheers, markuk. :D devastating wit & repartee, m8.

post-32068-1177654880_thumb.jpg

Edited by kmart

They are pretty timid and from what I have gathered and observed they are more afraid of you than the other way around. I saw one on our wall the other day, and tried to take a picture through a window. As soon as it noticed me it was outta there.

I would not provoke them though. Their claws are razor sharp, and that is not an exaggeration. When I found two dead ones (killed by our dogs) on our lawn I used a smooth bamboo stick to remove them. I placed the stick under the body of the baby lizard and thought I would balance it and then toss it over the wall. As I lifted it the body slipped, but the claws of its front paws were so sharp that they clung to the smooth bamboo pole! If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it.

You mean, like shooting a bluejay with a BB gun??

I wasn't trying to be a hero. I think it is normal to react this way in a similar situation. I had gone to the park partly to see the lizards, as I find them very interesting. The last thing I expected was to see one being attacked! Even though I am of course the foreigner and should maybe mind my own business it is a very hard thing to do.

I agree that it is very hard to get close to the lizards. They are very skittish and make a quick exit when approached. It only seems possible to get close to them when they are eating.

We came across one lizard which was without doubt the largest I have seen anywhere. I have seen a few Komodo Dragons in a Zoo before, although of course not large specimens, but the monitor we saw in one of the drains in Lumpini was bigger. I'd say it was probably 6 foot or more, and it was very large with it. It had a huge head and powerful looking limbs and a massive torso. I would have liked to see it swimming or walking around, but it never came out of the drain. It would be a Thais worst nightmare to come across such a monster.

This is the first time that I have spent any real time in the park and I was very impressed. There were plenty of rubbish bins and the place was very clean. The toilets seemed to be well kept and generally everything was in order. We had a great afternoon relaxing on the grass and monitoring the monitors.

God gives up...

Back on topic;

INSTANT KATOEY !