Honda Wave rear brake drum wear indicator?

ricklev

42 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If there has lots of adjustment done you see by that, at the end of the day it's a cheap shoe replacement. 

Thanks!  I still wonder what the wear indicator means.  It's not about saving 100 baht.  I have no idea of the maintenance history.

Edited by ricklev

15 minutes ago, scammed said:

the breaking power of a rear drum isnt gonna be good in the best of conditions, you just have to make up your mind if its good enough or order replacement in hope of slightly netter

The rear brake doesn't contribute a lot to the overall braking, but it is still important that it works well to ensure balanced braking.

So it's well worth the O/Ps time to check it over. Carry on @ricklev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricklev said:

Thanks!  I still wonder what the wear indicator means.  It's not about saving 100 baht.  I have no idea of the maintenance history.

No worries is it crushed up into a block ???? Waves are bullet proof if the bike looks good as if its be taken care of, you can't go wrong with fixing them whatever's wrong with it, they are not expensive to fix anything.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

The angle at which you took the picture makes it a bit hard to judge, but looks like the pointy thing is still before the wear marker, but relatively close already.

Judging by this it's probably OK for another 2k kilometers, but considering that brakes are the most important part of a vehicle, i would just change it now and be safe.

If you don't know the service history of a bike i would always recommend to just get new brake pads, brake fluid and engine oil (and gear oil and coolant if the bike would have it, a Wave obviously doesn't have it), these are the most important bits, anything else can be fixed when it breaks without any serious consequences.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.  Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Question for OP:  Is that picture with the brake pedal fully depressed?

Honda 110i manual:  https://mototh.com/files/honda/wave110i/Honda-Wave-110i-Owners-Manual-Eng.pdf

image.png.22361ff5ff388c283deb8469ac06bf99.png

Thanks!  Very helpful.  I didn't realize the brake needed to be applied while checking the indicator.  "When the brake is applied, an arrow attached to the brake arm moves toward a reference mark on the brake panel. If the arrow aligns with the reference mark on full application of the brake, the brake shoes must be replaced."

Great to see the maintenance schedule in English also.  I've owned several Honda Waves and have never come across a manual in English before.

After checking the indicator with the pedal down it definitely was on top of the indicator mark.  I took it to the corner shop and they replaced them with some genuine Honda pads I already had and charged me a massive 50 baht for the service.  I've had enough experience with these guys to know that it's unrealistic to expect them not to screw something else up.  In this case they left the chain with too much slack.  I'm not sure if he thought that is the way it is supposed to be or not.

Seems like anytime I get someone to fix something they screw something else up. Not always, but I put it at 50%.  Hard to get too upset about it when everything seems so cheap as to be almost free.  Still....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

After checking the indicator with the pedal down it definitely was on top of the indicator mark.  I took it to the corner shop and they replaced them with some genuine Honda pads I already had and charged me a massive 50 baht for the service.  I've had enough experience with these guys to know that it's unrealistic to expect them not to screw something else up.  In this case they left the chain with too much slack.  I'm not sure if he thought that is the way it is supposed to be or not.

Seems like anytime I get someone to fix something they screw something else up. Not always, but I put it at 50%.  Hard to get too upset about it when everything seems so cheap as to be almost free.  Still....

Maybe you are a poor tipper.

To

Insure

Proper

Service

9 hours ago, ricklev said:

Exact same experience here, I'm almost afraid of going to mechanics, the level of carelessness and incompetence or pure not-care-about-it attitude is unbelievable...

I sometime wonder how they get anything technical or engineering work done, a quick stir fry is about the limit...????

Just last time they had a novice that unfortunately jumped up to help the more experience guy to change my tires, he could not get the front wheel nut off, no matter how hard he tried, I feared for the worst until the other guy came and showed him there is a locking nut behind that needs to be loosened up first...!!! ????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

Exact same experience here, I'm almost afraid of going to mechanics, the level of carelessness and incompetence or pure not-care-about-it attitude is unbelievable...

I sometime wonder how they get anything technical or engineering work done, a quick stir fry is about the limit...????

Just last time they had a novice that unfortunately jumped up to help the more experience guy to change my tires, he could not get the front wheel nut off, no matter how hard he tried, I feared for the worst until the other guy came and showed him there is a locking nut behind that needs to be loosened up first...!!! ????????

There seems to be a workplace culture, in shops with a few people working, to do every job as quickly as possible.  Every nut, bolt and screw removal and replacement and every measurement must be conducted at a frantic pace even if there is no reason to hurry.  That works OK when an experienced mechanic is doing the job, usually, but if it is someone still learning, well he has learned that speed is the primary quality of a good mechanic.  

Edited by ricklev

OP, buy some new shoes with new springs, get some brake, or carb cleaner and some fat. 

Take the bolt out, you can leave the tire inside and take the drum out. But checking the rubbers on the other side where the sprocket sits in makes a lot of sense.

They also wear out and are dirt cheap to replace. 

Then take both shoes out, clean all well with brake, or carb cleaner, put some fat on the bolt that goes through the brake and out the new shoes with springs back in.

A 10 to 20 minute job. Then make sure that the tire's straight. Many mechanics do not care if the tire sits straight. You can see marks on each side of the swingarm. 

Use some sandpaper on the inner side of the wheel's drum and also do that on the new shoes.

They will wear in once  used and the brake quality might get better after a while. 

The chain is tightener once the bike is not on its middle stand, when you do the chain tighteners. Check the chain again when on the road. 

Also check both sprockets and bearings of the wheel. And put some fat on the bolt that holds the tire too. 

Edited by teacherclaire
Ride To Live- Live To Ride
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

OP, buy some new shoes with new springs, get some brake, or carb cleaner and some fat. 

Take the bolt out, you can leave the tire inside and take the drum out. But checking the rubbers on the other side where the sprocket sits in makes a lot of sense.

They also wear out and are dirt cheap to replace. 

Then take both shoes out, clean all well with brake, or carb cleaner, put some fat on the bolt that goes through the brake and out the new shoes with springs back in.

A 10 to 20 minute job. Then make sure that the tire's straight. Many mechanics do not care if the tire sits straight. You can see marks on each side of the swingarm. 

The chain is tightener once the bike is not on its middle stand, when you do the chain tighteners. Check the chain again when on the road. 

Also check both sprockets. 

Not  Bad ! But perhaps also worth a mention is that  if after a previous brake shoe replacement that in the process of  taking the slack out of the  drive chain that there is still some free brake pedal movement.

More than once have seen problem with  binding rear  brakes because of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

When the rear brake pedal drags on the ground and throws sparks, it's time for new shoes. 

My bro in law had a bike repair shop in Loei and later Khon Kaen for years and is a pretty good mechanic.  Since coming to the U.S, he's been stir frying for a living, 555.  Still turns wrenches on the side for extra cash.  People give him cars, lawn mowers, string trimmers and the like for free.  He fixes them and uses them or flips them.  Next project is a 1962 Cadillac that's been sitting idle for years but seems to be in good shape.  He'll get 1/2 the selling price.

image.jpeg.7b8dba497e8214c3548550bcde78f4b5.jpeg

Some scooter brake shoes have wear indicators.

image.png.224c0758c6bf2679b664ceab2f9d2e13.png

I do the sandal technique, but i have a old couple that re-soles them at kad luang market in cm!

Ive stretched out an old pair of Keens by fixing the soles a few times in cm---100 baht for good ones

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, ChakaKhan said:

I do the sandal technique, but i have a old couple that re-soles them at kad luang market in cm!

Ive stretched out an old pair of Keens by fixing the soles a few times in cm---100 baht for good ones

Go down chang moi rd into Chinatown under big red entrance--take a right down soi, past packed beauty shop, old thai couple sitting on the ground fixing shoes (left side)..were super happy to fix my shoes and did a great job in 2 hrs.....these types always get my money and support..wearing the shoes now....dee mak mak

• Like 1