90 Day Report Penalities

There appears to be a sharp increase in penalities applying to non complience to the 90 day report rules. 5000 Baht and 200 Baht per day.

This is the form I had placed in my passport yesterday.

post-18212-1177636337_thumb.jpg

I was surprised upon reading the 28 year-old Act that it was, indeed, those figures they quote.

Was always under the impression, from various TV threads, that it was less... perhaps in actual practice, it was before, but now with the citation of the verbatim law, it won't be and the quoted figures will be used.

Good of you to post as a separate thread and let everyone know.

I didn't do this forever (90-day reporting) when I had a work permit and non-immigrant visa and it never seemed to be a problem. The lady at my workplace who handled the work permits said nevermind. How do you get caught? If I ever come back in the future I will need to learn how to do that unless I get a multiple re-entry visa. Are there many who don't do this? I don't remember any of the many foreigners I worked with at one school ever talking about having to do the reporting.

ahhh.. the times they are a changing... seems like more than a few past discretions are now being fully expected to follow the regulations.

The 2 international schools I'm familiar with both utilize a spreadsheet to ensure all their teachers make their reporting dates and are quite a bit of a stickler about it. For them, anyway, it would seem like their efforts have been worthwhile as other places rush to now comply.

Edited by sriracha john

ahhh.. the times they are a changing... seems like more than a few past discretions are now being fully expected to follow the regulations.

The 2 international schools I'm familiar with both utilize a spreadsheet to ensure all their teachers make their reporting dates and are quite a bit of a stickler about it. For them, anyway, it would seem like their efforts have been worthwhile as other places rush to now comply.

So you're saying it wasn't such a big deal before, yes? Probably not.

How would one get caught, though? Do they catch you if you're leaving the country and notice? Or do they come to your residence, send you a notice in the mail, etc.?

By the way, I notice when I send mine in the regular post/mail, I never get a returned receipt from Immigration, proving I did it.

When I send it via EMS, I not only have the EMS receipt, but for some strange reason immigration then always sends me back the Immigration receipt as well. Don't forget your self-addressed, stamped envelope to enclose in your mailing.

I remember reading a thread on Thaivisa a few months ago that Immigration were going to scrap the 90 day report rule.

Clearly the powers that be have realized that there is a lot money to be made from unsuspecting foreigners that aren't familiar with this ruling.

By the way, I notice when I send mine in the regular post/mail, I never get a returned receipt from Immigration, proving I did it.

When I send it via EMS, I not only have the EMS receipt, but for some strange reason immigration then always sends me back the Immigration receipt as well. Don't forget your self-addressed, stamped envelope to enclose in your mailing.

I'm not too sure what your on about here but most of my reports are submitted via EMS and I have my receipt within 5 days (reply paid envelope enclosed) no worries.

There appears to be a sharp increase in penalities applying to non complience to the 90 day report rules. 5000 Baht and 200 Baht per day.

Note the notice says "... a fine not exceeding 5.000. Baht..." so there is some flexibility in the system.  

Anyone want 

to test the system to see if it's still baht 2,000?

Mac

So you're saying it wasn't such a big deal before, yes? Probably not.

How would one get caught, though? Do they catch you if you're leaving the country and notice? Or do they come to your residence, send you a notice in the mail, etc.?

Some day Immigration's computer system for logging in the 90-day reports will be tied into Departure Control at the airports and land points, and surprise, sir, please step over to the cashier and pay the tab, then have a pleasant journey....

Mac

The law was changed several years ago to the new 5,000 and daily fine but it has not been used yet (that I have seen any reports of) - the 2,000 baht has been the standard fine for late reporting. There were several recent reports that indicated if you report yourself late 2k is still normal but if they find you out for some reason they may start using the new provisions to provide a harsher penalty. In any event it being attached to passports should be a wake up call to get into the system or risk higher fines in the future.

Clearly the powers that be have realized that there is a lot money to be made from unsuspecting foreigners that aren't familiar with this ruling.

Hardly "unsuspecting" they staple the notice right next to your visa stamp.

...but I meet recently an retired man which has moved from Phuket to Rayong who deeply believe he don't have to make reports every 90 days.

I have seen his passport and he has an extension stamp "retirement" from Phuket immigration. - valid till July 2007. So he never made reports or has visitted an immigraton since 9 months, he said.

The reason is or was:

He went one time to the immigration in Phuket after 90 days of his extension and asked the immigration officer for the 90 day "stamp". The officer told him: Why you come here now, you have to come back middle July 2007 for renew your extension. So he was or is till now in the impression, he don't have to go to the immigration till July 2007.

I told him you've to clear that quickly by the immigration. :o

:o Pardon my ignorance, as I am trying to find my way around all the intricacies of visa life in Thailand, but could somebody explain what the 90 day reporting actually is and also in what circumstance is it applicable ie for what type of visa?

Many thanks.

If he asked for a 90 day stamp the officer probably thought he was asking for a new visa entry stamp as he may have done in the past when using a multi entry visa. It has nothing to do with 90 day reporting of address which is a form TM.47 (not a stamp).

If he asked for a 90 day stamp the officer probably thought he was asking for a new visa entry stamp as he may have done in the past when using a multi entry visa. It has nothing to do with 90 day reporting of address which is a form TM.47 (not a stamp).

Yes exactly the word "stamp" was clearly misunderstood... and maybe was on the wrong counter also.

He will go to the immigration in the next days and I can report maybe after more what happened.

And sorry, I wrote it wrong, his extension is valid till middle of august 2007.

Edited by eugengeri

got the same already in January

My school claims it has reported our presence every 90 days by mail. Now I am leaving Thailand (thankfully) and wish to have proofs available at the border that this was done. I will attempt to get copies of these letters, but the idiot/non-english speaking girl who supposedly takes care of such things says they don't have copies - just sent the letters. Of course as usual they have no idea what i'm talking about, and couldn't care less about any fines a 'high earning' farang might owe (we deserve it for making 30K/month).

So, I wonder if the next step is to stop by Nong Kai immigration on the way to the border and try to get some stamp, letter, or other proof that they were notified?

Edited by opebo

Yes exactly the word "stamp" was clearly misunderstood... and maybe was on the wrong counter also.

He will go to the immigration in the next days and I can report maybe after more what happened.

If he hasn't reported for 9 months, I hope for his sake they don't decide to utilize the 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day penalty..... Without doing the complicated math, I'm guessing that would add up to a hefty amount.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 1 yr visa starting from 23 Jan 2007 to 25 Oct 2007 non immigrant ( student visa).And they said i have to do 90 days notice on April 23 .But i went back to my country on 13 march and came back on 26.So i think i dont need to do 90 days report on april 23.I thought i have to do 90 days report on June 26.Is it correct?If i have to do report on April 26...200 baht per day :o

Regards

v3ss

:o Pardon my ignorance, as I am trying to find my way around all the intricacies of visa life in Thailand, but could somebody explain what the 90 day reporting actually is and also in what circumstance is it applicable ie for what type of visa?

Many thanks.

If you stay in Thailand longer than 90 days you need to report your adress to immigration.

The clock starts/re-starts the date you cross the border.

If he hasn't reported for 9 months, I hope for his sake they don't decide to utilize the 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day penalty..... Without doing the complicated math, I'm guessing that would add up to a hefty amount.

Here the promised report.

He paid now 2k Baht penalty and nothing more. The Immigration officer in Rayong believed him probably after have seen the TM.47 (the Receipt of Notification) from Immigration Phuket that was stamped for the next report/renewal for middle Aug. 2007.

Many thanks.

If you stay in Thailand longer than 90 days you need to report your adress to immigration.

The clock starts/re-starts the date you cross the border.

I am getting a a dual entry business visa (I assume this means 2 x 90 day stays = 180 days in total)

Do I have to report at the end of the first 90 days to validate the second 90 or do I have to go accross a border?

A new "smart ass" in our immigration office tried this on with me, saying I had not reported.......

I pointed out that my exits and re-entry had reset the clock.

We had to escalate the matter to the senior officer, before she accepted what I said.

However she still got some money, by fining my wife for not reporting my arrival back home. :o