Brexit back in crisis as UK threatens to undercut divorce pact

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Covid has been in good thing in regard to the EU/UK break up.  We should stop any further negotiation with those EU  muppets and just leave. Its gone on way way too long and they clearly have no intention of being reasonable. Just leave.

Right,

maybe you can tell me why they don't. See my post 26.

Or at least why you personally think why they don't.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because the UK needs access to EU markets.

You think the EU will block us from their markets if there is no trade deal? Oh dear... ????

Trade will continue. Sure there will be some tariffs (on both sides), just as there is on the bulk of trade around the world that is done on WTO terms.

If the Germans want the UK government to collect thousands of pounds every time they sell a car in the UK, be our guests. See how that affects their sales when British consumers start buying more competitively priced cars from countries that understand the benefits of a fair FTA. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

to be perfectly honest, I can be arsed.  I'm not really that interested in the basket case that is the UK now. It's going down the pan so quickly anyway, that not much can save it from years of austerity.  I'm just sick of reading about it and want it done and dusted so that the world can get on with something more interesting. 

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't help me.

Neither, sadly, does the post here above. 

Edited by luckyluke

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Ergo its no deal. We will crash out. The economy will suffer massive damage and the UK will break apart.

The sky is falling!

Save your project fear nonsense for someone who doesn't understand how much trade around the world is done on WTO terms. The EU doesn't have a comprehensive FTA with USA or China either. Do you know how much trade they do with them?

There will be no crash. No cliff edge. No train wreck or whatever cliches you fear peddler's come up with. We'll trade on WTO terms until the EU grows up and realizes an FTA will benefit both sides. I predict around 2022.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"Our top priority is to preserve the huge gains from the peace process and the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement, 

Your words and actions [if reports are true] do not match up.

Perfidious albion indeed

Edit: Seems the distrust is widespread.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/07/leaked-eu-cables-reveal-mistrust-of-uk-motives-in-brexit-talks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't help me.

I'm  not sure that you will ever get any help, certainly not on TVF and not from the EU and UK proclamations.  It is what it is, it will be what it will be. Cynicism is allowed when dealing with any political process. You and I and millions of others are merely pawns in the political games played by fairly stupid, self centered, egotistical, political muppets, and their civil service mates.  That's democracy for you.  Relax and don't try to understand it, because even they don't understand what they are doing and what the end game is, if they don't, why should you? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

The sky is falling!

Save your project fear nonsense for someone who doesn't understand how much trade around the world is done on WTO terms. The EU doesn't have a comprehensive FTA with USA or China either. Do you know how much trade they do with them?

There will be no crash. No cliff edge. No train wreck or whatever cliches you fear peddler's come up with. We'll trade on WTO terms until the EU grows up and realizes an FTA will benefit both sides. I predict around 2022.

Right OK.

See you in January.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crobe said:

the EU wants to have a level playing field on state aid, jusrisdiction by ECJ in some areas and maintain current agreements on fishing rights

All of which do not respect UK sovereignty, which is a key part of the withdrawal agreement.

You can't get around that. They have not abided by the terms of the WA in demanding such things for an FTA.

It's really not that complicated, no matter how you try to dress it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victornoir said:

The rage of the spoiled child when one says "no", BJ now understands that the EU will not give in, even on the detail and that it will not get anything.

Last rude attempt before the storm... and his probable resignation.

Very funny..........:clap2:...............

Have you got your new EU tax bill yet...?    ????

Hi Bluespunk, you got yours then......????

Edited by transam
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Ignore him.

The UK will of course continue to have access to EU markets (and vice versa) under WTO terms (under which the bulk of world trade is done). The EU has a massive trade surplus with the UK, they're not going to stop trade between the two. 

Thanks for your post,

but this become ridiculous.

I thought my question was an easy one.

And I get 1 plain/simple reason/opinion, the rest is, sorry, red herrings, 

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Thanks for your post,

but this become ridiculous.

I thought my question was an easy one.

And I get 1 plain/simple reason/opinion, the rest is, sorry, red herrings, 

if it was easy, they would have solved it already, not been debating it for many years. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Don't read the thread then...Gawd .....:coffee1:

I like to know what is winding up other people into a frenzy, that they can do nothing about.  It's called entertainment, which is what TVF is all about isn't it? 

• Sad 1