Visa Expiry Date, Kl

Hello, I'm leaving to get a new visa at KL, taking air asia rountdtrip from Chiang Mai.

This is my first application for a visa outside of my own country, and

I have some questions I hope somebody will be able to answer. ;-)

As I understand it, I still can get a visa excempt sampt in my current situation,

but after that I will have to get a visa, so I'm figuring I'll go for the visa sooner

than later, given the uncertain times ahead. ;-)

So, rather than doing a visarun to maesai/burma to get an excempt stamp,

I will apply for a visa in KL on Monday, before my 3m imm-o expires.

I however wonder if I could save the visa entry I (presumably) will get in KL.

If, when I enter back into Thailand, by plane, I do not fill out any visa number

on the arrival card, can I ask the immegration guy/girl, to give me a

visa excempt stamp instead?

Before my 30 days are up I would then take a shorter trip out/in the

Burma boder (maesai) from Chiang Mai, and use the visa then,

rather than now.

Possible? I assume the expiry date on the visa issued by KL will be atleast

a month or two, but dunno.

Another question: I want to apply for a one year non-imm educational visa. I don't expect to get it (I study at a real

school every day, but it's muay thai, and except the big farang gyms, none of these small gyms have any of

the official papers required), but if nothing to loose, I want to try anyway.

My question is then, what happens if my non-imm application is denied? Will they automatically

convert my application to a TV application? Or will I have to submit a new application the next

day, after finding out my non-imm application was denied? Will I have time to talk

with the people at KL when submitting my application, and ask?

Any suggestions here?

Regards,

1. You can ask immigration to stamp you rather than use the visa but it will be there call. Normally they have been willing to help out but times are very hard on them at present with the 90 day rule so anything out of the ordinary is probably not something they welcome. The tourist visa will have a 3 month validity to be used.

2. If you have no paperwork to back up an education visa there is slim chance it is going to be issued. And no - if it is not issued you are out the money and would have to apply for another visa with a new payment - but I suspect they will tell you that upfront and not even accept your application.

If you are here long term perhaps it would be worthwhile returning to Europe/Oz/USA when you could probably obtain a multi entry non immigrant visa from one of the smaller Consulates.

1. You can ask immigration to stamp you rather than use the visa but it will be there call. Normally they have been willing to help out but times are very hard on them at present with the 90 day rule so anything out of the ordinary is probably not something they welcome. The tourist visa will have a 3 month validity to be used.

2. If you have no paperwork to back up an education visa there is slim chance it is going to be issued. And no - if it is not issued you are out the money and would have to apply for another visa with a new payment - but I suspect they will tell you that upfront and not even accept your application.

If you are here long term perhaps it would be worthwhile returning to Europe/Oz/USA when you could probably obtain a multi entry non immigrant visa from one of the smaller Consulates.

Today I returned from KL, entering Thailand via Chiang Mai, and what you describe did indeed occur.

1) I asked to be stamped in, that was ok. I had to sign something the officer added to the entry-card,

which afaik said "I declined to use the tv". The officer also wrote something similar in thai under the stamp

in the passport.

2) I did have some paperwork, but not enough. The people in KL were indeed much more reasonable than the

lady at CM immegration (is there only one handling the > 30 day extensions? Both times I tried, I had the

misfortune of having to deal with her). What they asked for was reasonable, but unfortunatly nothing the regular

thai gym will have. The lady took my papers (including newsclippings and fight-cards with my name on) with her

to review (consult with somebody else?) for a few minutes, but ended up rejecting it due to lack of some official

papers from the gym. I then were allowed to apply for a tv instead.

Will have to try and get a multi-entry next time I'm back to Norway. Sadly the embassy there is not friendly, and I did not

have any luck in contacting the consulate last time. Will have to try harder for the consulate next time.

At least now I'm, presumably, set for four months (stamp, getting tv stamped at maesai, 30d extension) unless

work calls me home before.

Thanks,