Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Cabinet to consider special tourist visa next week: TAT

webfact

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The visa will be valid for an initial 90-day stay but can be renewed twice – 90 days each time – for a maximum stay of 270 days. The visa, which costs Bt2,000 per person, is suitable for foreign tourists who want to stay in Thailand for a long time, Yuthasak said.

istockphoto-533837393-612x612.jpg

19 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

And yours that they've created a "monster" visa is one of the most ridiculous ones yet.

But it is my opinion which I am allowed to voice as you are yours... however I don't feel the need to call yours ridiculous, it's your freedom of expression.

If you don't like my comment just skip-it.

• Like 2

Again why do we have to put 400/800k in the banks here to get our visas? There are better ways to help Thailand,like the stock market, after all so many companies are up against the wall.Will the government bail them out?Tourist are not going to come here with so many conditions, so lets work together.

• Like 1

This reminds me of a "price haggle" dynamic.

Thai government keeps "testing" the waters with tourists - "Best price for you , my friend"

Tourists don't come, thai government says "Ok ok, sir, I give you discount, come back"

Tourists still don't show up ...

Thai government shouts "MISTEERRRR, Last price!"

Tourists are no where in sight

3 Years later, Thai government decides:

"Ok sir, soapy massage on arrival and 3 months visa exemption"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ray666 said:

Is the British embassy issuing letters for citizens to apply to extend their visas, anyone know ? As there are many people unable to get a return flight home before 26 sept.

It looks like they are. Have a look at this one for details;

6 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Endless new visa policies. They are such disorganised, short-term thinking people. It really is like watching kindergarteners problem solve.

Correct they already have a tourist visa that allows 9 months it’s called multi entry tourist visa,,,,, I suppose they just need stuff to talk about to pass the day....lol

It's a step in the right direction, but why in Buddha's name do the Thais have to make everything so complicated?

Look at India: One has the options of taking a 30 day single-entry visa, or multiple-entry visas for 1 year or 5 years. Hello, Thailand, a 5 year visa!! Shocking, isn't it?? And the visas are cheap as well.

Maximum stay per entry varies depending on nationality, most people can stay 90 days at a time, some nationalities 180 days. In between stays, just do a little trip to Nepal or wherever. 

Edited by Ganesh108
  • Like 1

เที่ยวบิน - ฿ 28,000
 3 สัปดาห์ในโรงแรม - ฿ 36,000
 ประกันสุขภาพ - ฿ 15,000
 ค่าตรวจโควิด 3 ครั้ง - ฿ 5,000
 วีซ่า - ฿ 5,000
 ===========
 รวม฿ 84,000

This is about people's desire to visit Thailand, but also convenience and cost.

A reliable survey reveals that Thailand is fourth out of the top ten places that people would like to visit.

People these days don't just sit in one place - visitors criss cross the country visiting nature, beach, city and history, spending two or three days in each.

Those wanting annual visas live in villages, towns and cities all across Thailand.

So attempts to peg visitors to within 1 kilometer of their hotel would be a strong negative for most.

Quarantine is not just expensive, it is wasteful of one's time, it is an unpleasant and mind-bending experience. This is but one of several possible lifestyle restrictions to avoid.

Then there is the cost. Possibly the biggest factor for many. Thailand has many many attractions and low-cost is amongst the top consideration. So careful thought needs to be given to health insurance requirements or permissible residences, particularly if Thai ownership of said company is a requirement.

Here is a typical cost breakdown for a Phuket-model getaway - getaway/return only, please note.

Flights - ฿ 28,000
 3 weeks in a govt hotel - ฿ 36,000
 Health Insurance - ฿ 15,000
 3 COVID check fees - ฿ 5,000
 Visa - ฿ 5,000
 ===========
 Total ฿ 84,000

Conclusion. The demand is definitely there. But the country cannot afford a covid outbreak. Preparations for which would take three months.

Tourists and long stay would generally not accept the restrictions and costs of a Phuket model, however.

Maybe best to carry on as now, count on a WHO vaccination program next Spring. But review at year-end 2020 and if no vaccine in sight, take the bull by the horns. The alternative to a rise in covid cases would be mass starvation and a people's revolt.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I very much doubt anyone left because of fear of COVID in Thailand. Hardly makes sense.

People left for various reasons: family illness/death, medical care for themselves, financial matters needing to be dealt with etc. And some were simply overseras on a routine visit home when the lockdown hit and got caught.

I agree that some failed to exercise due diligence or made overly optimistic assumptions (we see regular posts by people proposing to leave  right now on the assumption that "surely I'll be able to come back when I'm ready"). But not all. And I have nto heard of a single person who left because of COVID fears. Why would they, when numbers of cases in Thailand never got that high?

I know of a number who did, but don't know if they were official residents on lognstay visas

5 hours ago, taninthai said:

There is flights going all the time to Uk ,,,there is no reason a person cannot get a flight before 26 sept

Correct . 

Under the present circumstances .

However  that said , returning too Thailand , is not going too be easy .

Edited by elliss

11 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Again why do we have to put 400/800k in the banks here to get our visas? There are better ways to help Thailand,like the stock market, after all so many companies are up against the wall.Will the government bail them out?Tourist are not going to come here with so many conditions, so lets work together.

If I may quote Shakespeare , 

They have got us aliens , by the balls .

Want tourists and the 14 day arrival quarantine?
Here's the answer.
Have the government pay the costs of the 14 day confinement.  The only requirement is for the person to stay for 3 more weeks at the hotel of their choice.
No tricks. Period.
Start it immediately and run it as long as the quarantine is required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Is this real said:

Want tourists and the 14 day arrival quarantine?
Here's the answer.
Have the government pay the costs of the 14 day confinement.  The only requirement is for the person to stay for 3 more weeks at the hotel of their choice.
No tricks. Period.
Start it immediately and run it as long as the quarantine is required.

Don't think you've thought that through.

• Confused 1