14 arrested in gambling raid, charged with illegal gathering under Emergency Decree

webfact

14 arrested in gambling raid, charged with illegal gathering under Emergency Decree

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1599713850_1-org.jpg

The raid netted 14 gamblers. Photo: Territorial Defense Volunteers

PHUKET: A raid by police and other law-enforcement officers last night arrested 14 gamblers at a venue north of Phuket Town last night (Sept 9).

The arrests were made by 15 Territorial Defense Volunteers, led by Thongchai Rattanadet, together with Phuket City Police, at 9:35pm, reported Phuket City Police.

Officers arrested 14 people, both men and women, while gambling on card games at a shop named “Tidlom” near Boat Lagoon, in Koh Kaew, said the report.

Full story:https://www.thephuketnews.com/14-arrested-in-gambling-raid-charged-with-illegal-gathering-under-emergency-decree-77264.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-09-10

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why are they not just charged with Gambling ? - which is actually illegal.

‘Illegal Gathering’ of 14 ppl...  Where has there been a limit on the numbers gathering been announced? The Emergency Decree does not state any such number, neither does the Communicable Disease Control Act (2015)

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor/c74d97b01eae257e44aa9d5bade97baf/files/001_2gcd.pdf

Does that mean under the Emergency Degree I can be charged along with all others in my football team for playing football (which is also a gathering). 

What about ‘gatherings’ in restaurants? Temples? etc

Is there a limit on the ‘numbers per gathering’ or are authorities just making up numbers now when they want to arrest someone and make up a charge? (

Gambling charge - ok, but a charge of illegal gathering seems trumped up.

Good question about the number of people involved.

I have noticed that one or two houses near us are now having lots of all night parties. Only last Sunday did one of them have a big pool party with crazy Koreans (about 15 at least) running around half naked on the street half of the night.  Girls were obviously hired to keep them entertained. Before anyone asks if I spent half the night watching them- no I didn't , but I heard the shouting and screaming. It was my neighbour who told me that she had to go down and complain about the noise and she saw what was happening.

They also have "events" where luxury cars are parked outside for 2 or 3 days and again young girls are brought in. No idea what happens. It could be gambling, could be anything.

I would love to complain to the police, but it seems that the owners are close to the local police.

• Haha 2