Serviced Apartment Recommendations For Bangkok?

skygazer

I'm headed to Bangkok for 4 months starting in December and have been looking at the various serviced apartment options. My biggest criteria is that I require high-speed internet access to stay in touch with business colleagues and I need air conditioning (of course). Other than that a place with balcony, close to good public transport like BTS Skytrain or subway, a pool, washer (dryer, do they have dryers?) etc.

I've looked at Centrepoint, Emporium Suites, Siri Sathorn, Conrad, Oakwood, Chateau de Bangkok etc. Anyone out there living in any of these or similar? If so your thoughts? What about hidden charges like electricity? Some include this in the price while others don't and I've read the bills can add up?

Thanks

Skygazer,

I'll endorse Penelope's recommendation also - Centrepoint has free in-room broadband and will supply you with a cable for your ethernet socket. and it's VERY fast.

The standard rooms are studio, so are bigger than the normal shoe-box sized chain hotel rooms.

Funnily enough, I had had stayed at a particular Centrepoint several times without realizing they had broadband - one day I was checking in, and hurriedly set about dialing up for mail while the concierge was checking the lights, fridge etc.

He gave me a strange look, took off for a few minutes, came back with an ethernet cable, plugged me in, and smiled. I'll never forget it when he said "don't you just hate using dial up? It's so SLOW" :o

Here's an additional question, has anyone attached a broadband router in their serviced suite as an added level of protection for their computer? Or to setup wireless access?

Thanks

I have a linksys wrt54g 802.11g broadband router attached to my network accesspoint in my suite. My laptop and pda are wifi, so this is convenient for me and guests in the spare room(personal or business). Also the additional firewall in the linksys product is nice peace of mind.