British passport for daughter with autism

i am going to renew my British passport and my daughter has autism which means she cannot sign a passport application.

i am told that i need a doctors signed letter to confirm this.

now do i need to translate this into english for the embassy or as she is only 13 can i just sign this myself.

thanks in advance .

I'm not sure that I can offer an accurate answer, but if you've been advised that you'll need a letter from a doctor, and you're here in Thailand, then as the letter will more than likely be in Thai, in which case you'll need it translated.

Applications are processed in the UK, so they will only work in English, the UK Embassy plays no part in passport applications.

Just a thought, all Thai doctors I have come accross speak, read and write pretty good English, might a doctor be able to supply a letter written in English?

I suspect you've this from the Gov.UK website?

Signing the application

Someone with parental responsibility must sign the form.

If your child is 12 to 15 they need to sign the form too.

Section 6 of the GUIDANCE NOTES says. Children aged 12 to 15.

If your child is not able to sign the form you should:

1. Leave this section blank.

2.Use section 8 or send a covering letter confirming why the child cannot sign. This can be written by the parent or child carer or doctor.

If you want a doctors letter many if not all private hospitals will provide it in English.

Hi thanks everyone for your replies .

I have had someone contact me saying that you just need to leave the signature  box blank and submit a letter as a parent but this was in 2012.

its a long way to go if i need the doctors letter and a huge struggle to even get my daughter to see the doctor.

Hopefully i can avoid this.

Thanks again for your replies.

21 hours ago, pontious said:

Section 6 of the GUIDANCE NOTES says. Children aged 12 to 15.

If your child is not able to sign the form you should:

1. Leave this section blank.

2.Use section 8 or send a covering letter confirming why the child cannot sign. This can be written by the parent or child carer or doctor.

If you want a doctors letter many if not all private hospitals will provide it in English.

Thanks for this information

Archived