Good Thai insurance companies with COVID-19 package?

ThLT

I'm currently in Thailand. I have health insurance, but it doesn't cover COVID-19.

Anyone know good Thai insurance companies that offer COVID-only coverage packages?

(What was your experience with the company?)

Edited by ThLT

I want to know the answer to this question also. I purchased a policy from Digital Nomads who clearly said that COVID was not covered for countries that had and FCO travel ban. I checked and Thailand was exempt from a travel ban. Once purchased they said they would not cover COVID-19 period. I then had to get a refund. I noticed another Thai company Luma Health Insurance they claim they cover COVID 19 but they also expect you to pay all the hospital expenses and make a claim from them on returning to your home country.

Like I would be wanting to buy insurance where you are expected to pay everything first. I am trying to find a company that will jump in and cover me if I get sick.

I received a quote from AXA Insurance PCL.  I am 63 years old so it is higher than average.  The coverage is for 5,000,000 THB General Health Insurance including COVID 19 (100,000 USD) coverage and a certificate for Immigration.  100,000 THB per year.  I was shopping around for Health Insurance as well as the COVID coverage. 

FYI - The sales person mentioned it could be cancelled after arrival in Thailand.  

Edited by GolfnBeer

On 9/17/2020 at 2:27 AM, GolfnBeer said:

I received a quote from AXA Insurance PCL.  I am 63 years old so it is higher than average.  The coverage is for 5,000,000 THB General Health Insurance including COVID 19 (100,000 USD) coverage and a certificate for Immigration.  100,000 THB per year.  I was shopping around for Health Insurance as well as the COVID coverage. 

FYI - The sales person mentioned it could be cancelled after arrival in Thailand.  

100,000 is very high for your age, circ 50k is more like it.

Try

April International

Pacific Cross

For Covid only cover maybe best to try a broker such as AA Insurance Brokers

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 6:41 AM, scubascuba3 said:

100,000 is very high for your age, circ 50k is more like it.

Try

April International

Pacific Cross

For Covid only cover maybe best to try a broker such as AA Insurance Brokers

I suspect that the deductibles that you see at 50,000 baht are notably less than GolfnBeer mentioned. His numbers seem in the ballpark for what I'm seeing.

I'd been similarly interested and my quotes at 58 years old were roughly:

1 - AXA 56,000 Baht premium, but only gave me a max coverage limit for the year of 70,000 Baht for Cancer or Kidney problems. And a total annual limit of 500,000 Baht. Not very near the COVID equivalent for visitors of 30,000,000 Baht! Frankly, this seemed laughable. The prices are ridiculous for the coverage.

2 - A COVID only insurance ($100,000 limit) for 40,000 Baht with a 80,000 Baht deductible. That was with April International.

3 - A general April International My Health Essential plan (basic accidents coverage) for SE Asia excluding Singapore - Max policy limit in brackets, all in Baht:

73,815    (16,375,000)
62,081    (3,275,000)

I'm considering the latter, as I'm guessing that even the lower limit of roughly $10,000 will cover most COVID situations unless I'm in a desperate state. In which case, probably screwed anyway! However, my pre-existing conditions will probably send this notably higher and I'll probably end up winging it.

These were from AA Insure.

50 minutes ago, w94005m said:

I suspect that the deductibles that you see at 50,000 baht are notably less than GolfnBeer mentioned. His numbers seem in the ballpark for what I'm seeing.

I'd been similarly interested and my quotes at 58 years old were roughly:

1 - AXA 56,000 Baht premium, but only gave me a max coverage limit for the year of 70,000 Baht for Cancer or Kidney problems. And a total annual limit of 500,000 Baht. Not very near the COVID equivalent for visitors of 30,000,000 Baht! Frankly, this seemed laughable. The prices are ridiculous for the coverage.

2 - A COVID only insurance ($100,000 limit) for 40,000 Baht with a 80,000 Baht deductible. That was with April International.

3 - A general April International My Health Essential plan (basic accidents coverage) for SE Asia excluding Singapore - Max policy limit in brackets, all in Baht:

73,815    (16,375,000)
62,081    (3,275,000)

I'm considering the latter, as I'm guessing that even the lower limit of roughly $10,000 will cover most COVID situations unless I'm in a desperate state. In which case, probably screwed anyway! However, my pre-existing conditions will probably send this notably higher and I'll probably end up winging it.

These were from AA Insure.

Premiums seem to have gone up since covid, that's why deductibles of 50k+ are worthwhile, if you gamble you won't claim. 

A friend tells me that with Pacific Cross if your medical costs exceed your cover you then pay 10% of the costs, Pacific Cross the balance, no one has confirmed that but worth getting a quote from them and checking the 10% thing 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Premiums seem to have gone up since covid, that's why deductibles of 50k+ are worthwhile, if you gamble you won't claim. 

A friend tells me that with Pacific Cross if your medical costs exceed your cover you then pay 10% of the costs, Pacific Cross the balance, no one has confirmed that but worth getting a quote from them and checking the 10% thing 

Agreed on the deductibles and that was the first thing I said to the broker, but it didn't make as big a difference as I was expecting.

That's good to know regarding the blowing your limits deal with Pacific Cross. That's really attractive if that's true.

13 minutes ago, w94005m said:

Agreed on the deductibles and that was the first thing I said to the broker, but it didn't make as big a difference as I was expecting.

That's good to know regarding the blowing your limits deal with Pacific Cross. That's really attractive if that's true.

Usually not having Outpatients should save you 20% and a circ 50k deductible another 20%, should even say that on the AA Insure summary page of all insurers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, declanny said:

This policy from Luma Health actually sounds pretty good.

Has anyone gone with it? Any catches?

That is travel insurance, which typically will cover you for accidents, rather than treatment for conditions which come up. For those I suspect you would be repatriated.

It may also only apply for an upcoming trip and not applicable if you are already in Thailand. 

Typical travel insurances are normally cheaper than this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I have been with Globality for a few years. 57 years old. Paying 65,000 THB per annum for $2.6 million cover. No OPD but does cover for cancer care OPD. (Zero deductible). Luxembourg based so operates under EU jurisdiction. Worldwide cover excluding USA and your home country. I have a pre-existing condition that, under the moratorium (no treatment or advice sought for two years), is now covered. https://www.globality-health.com/yougenio/world/ . No claims made to date. Interestingly, I did enquire about moving to France and the policy will move with you and, in the case of France, the premiums are lower than Thailand.