No Covid-19 cases reported in past 24 hours

webfact

No Covid-19 cases reported in past 24 hours

By The Nation

800_dd56ca47359367f.jpg?v=1600317613

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported zero cases over a 24-hour period today (September 17).

Nine patients have meanwhile recovered and been discharged from hospital.

The number of confirmed cases in Thailand remains at 3,490 (552 in state quarantine). Of these, 107 are in hospital and 3,325 have recovered and been discharged. The death toll remains unchanged at 58.

The CCSA reported that 101,673 have so far entered state quarantine (1,017 in the past 24 hours), with 92,842 of these returning home. Some 552 people were found in quarantine to be infected, and 445 have been successfully treated and sent home.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am the number of confirmed cases globally has passed 30 million (increasing by 307,465 in 24 hours). Of these, 21.8 million have recovered, 61,245 are in severe condition and 945,072 have died.

Thailand ranks a safe 128th for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number, with 6.82 million, followed by India (5.1 million), Brazil (4.42 million), Russia (1.07 million) and Peru (744,400).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394698

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-17

7 hours ago, robertson468 said:

What about the Thai Nationals who travelled to Japan and were found to be positive on arrival?  Yet again, only half a story to bury the real truth.

Maybe false positives as with a previous case back in August. Japan appear to use a saliva based test for the initial check on arrival before using the more thorough RT-PCR test as a follow up. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/japanese-man-found-with-covid-19-after-departing-thailand-tested-negative-311417

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

Maybe false positives as with a previous case back in August. Japan appear to use a saliva based test for the initial check on arrival before using the more thorough RT-PCR test as a follow up. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/japanese-man-found-with-covid-19-after-departing-thailand-tested-negative-311417

And if they were doing as many tests as claimed here, there should be a notable number of false positives reported, but none for many months, which is not credible.

All I know is that I would trust Japan for testing and retesting far more than Thailand. And doubtless they have retested them in the last 6 days, as they did with the earlier case you refer to with a PCR test for sure. Although it is reported that the initial test is a PCR test as well.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200501/

For customers arriving in Japan

To comply with Japan’s strengthened quarantine system, our passengers may experience longer wait times after arriving in Japan – both to deplane and at the airport.

Passengers who have traveled to any entry-restricted country within the last 14 days will need to take a PCR test after arriving in Japan. Passengers are required to wait for their results at a location designated by the quarantine station. Those able to travel without needing to use public transport will be able wait at home, while those unable to do so will be required to stay in a designated space within the airport or at accommodation facilities set up by the government within the vicinity of the airport.

As you are planning your trip to Japan, please keep this wait time in mind.

11 hours ago, robertson468 said:

What about the Thai Nationals who travelled to Japan and were found to be positive on arrival?  Yet again, only half a story to bury the real truth.

Within the last 24 hours? You talk nonsense because you want bad news for Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, w94005m said:

And the Myanmar family too from Ayutthaya and Nakhon Ratchasima

These are local infections, but just because they weren't from the almost non-existent Thai claims of performed tests, they don't count.

Farcical. Clearly there are many cases out there.

Do you know that pneumonia is the third leading cause of death in Thailand? Officially at over 44,000 pa with an estimated number of cases pa in the order of 400,000.

Enough with the facade, which even Thai Visa conveniently enters into with no topics on either of these positives from Japan and Myanmar tests.

Within the last 24 hours? Why do you hate Thailand?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

Don't try to be rational with racist Thai haters and Thai bashers. They are in denial

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Poet said:

This just shows how quickly Thais can become infected upon setting foot in barbaric foreign countries such as Japan.

They would have been so much safer if they had simply stayed in Thailand, where there is so little chance of Covid-19 that they don't even have to conduct tests.

I feel safer here and better protected than the USA, UK or Australia.  If you don't then go home.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Poet said:

They would have been so much safer if they had simply stayed in Thailand, where there is so little chance of Covid-19 that they don't even have to conduct tests.

From what I've found, they actually do testing.  A mix of testing people found through contact tracing, and random sampling of people in particular areas.

What is your source for the claim that they "don't even have to conduct tests"?

32 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

What is your source for the claim that they "don't even have to conduct tests"?

You know, a handy way to tell when someone is joking in a forum is to quickly glance at the reactions of other members and see if anyone laughed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poet said:

You know, a handy way to tell when someone is joking in a forum is to quickly glance at the reactions of other members and see if anyone laughed.

Alas, I can neither read your mind, nor those of others who may have emoted a response.  That said, I'll give it a try.  Two people liked your reply.  I suppose that means they agreed with your sentiment?  Or maybe they read what you wrote as sarcastic and liked the sarcasm?  Could go either way.  And one person did a Haha.  So... they found it funny.  Does funny mean they liked it?  Does liking it mean they agreed?  Did they agree with the sentiment?  Or did they agree because they read it as sarcasm?

As for reading your mind.... At this moment I sense that you're slightly annoyed by my current response.

How did I do?  :unsure:

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, asiacurious said:

At this moment I sense that you're slightly annoyed by my current response.

How did I do?  :unsure:

No, I was not annoyed, just a bit frustrated. Not so much with you personally but with the fact that subtlety is difficult when you have a forum with such a wide mix of people from different backgrounds, cultures, and languages. That in itself can be a good thing, you get a mix of views, but it does mean you sometimes get people who give miss the subtleties of the language.

Among native English speakers, there is a tradition of saying the exact opposite of what you think in order to underline how ridiculous a situation is. So, if I start a comment by referring to modern day Japan as barbaric, which it clearly is not, that "bizzarro world" statement sets the context for the closing statement - that Thailand has "so little chance of Covid-19 that they don't even have to conduct tests" - as being sarcastic.

I do understand that, for those not so familiar with English, that can seem needlessly complicated and hard to spot. Native speakers, however, already know these conventions and quite enjoy the playfulness of our language.

Now, in your case, you were already in a confrontational mode. You demanded, from two posts in a row - mine and the one before - sources for our information. You wanted us to provide you with additional material despite not putting much effort into your own, mostly single-sentence posts.

In the case of my joke, there are no sources; you either get a joke or you don't. In the case of the interesting post by @w94005m, he was sharing information but, what you have to understand about this forum, providing sources is not as straightforward as you might think. You can get into trouble for linking to certain websites and there is also a strict rule about content only being in English. So, most people make their point in their own words and it is up to the reader to research further if what has been said grabs their interest.

In any case, it is largely inappropriate in a general discussion forum. Imagine if we were all sitting in a pub together. Between sips of beer, I might tell a joke. A few people would chuckle but then we would all be perplexed as you demand a source. Then @w94005m might lean forward to share an interesting tidbit he heard about pneumonia but, once again, you cut in to demand a source. You don't say "Ah, come on, I heard a far lower figure" or lay out your own thoughts about why you disagree, you simply keep shouting "Source!".

Obviously, it a question of taste and, to be fair, you may have picked up the wrong idea from some of the political skirmishers in this forum who treat all discussion as a knifefight. They actually have zero interest in actually reading anything, demanding sources is merely a debating tactic to undermine the other member. Again, in real life, for instance in a pub, people would be polite when you do this but would tactfully arrange to give you the slip and have their discussion elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, asiacurious said:

What is the source of this information?

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/thailand-influenza-pneumonia#:~:text=Thailand%3A Influenza and Pneumonia&text=According to the latest WHO,Thailand %2370 in the world.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6804544_The_incidence_of_pneumonia_in_rural_Thailand

The estimated annual incidence of 580/100,000 with a population of about 70 million, suggests something in the order of 400,000 per year.

Edited by w94005m

11 hours ago, Nout said:

I feel safer here and better protected than the USA, UK or Australia.  If you don't then go home.

Yeah, I feel a lot safer here too. And I would feel even safer if everyone remained cautious, rather than blindly assuming the govt line based on limited and an unrevealed testing virus strategy with zero antibody testing.

When testing of the tiny number of people who leave the country reveals positive, unexplained cases, as a former epidemiologist, it's enough to make me seriously question the govt stats.

Additionally, when a country with the thoroughness of the islands of New Zealand gets a notable subsequent outbreak, it's also hard to believe that Thailand with so many bordered countries, especially Myanmar and maybe not so thorough a quarantine for official visitors, has not had any cases. And that's bearing in mind the unlikely situation that it was at one point covid-19 free.

Edited by w94005m
  • Like 1