Rugby World Cup 2007

I think Tonga should be up 5 or 6 places, depending what happens saturday morning, Japan a few places closer to Fiji or by Canada due to their draw last night. And the rest seems ok. The NH teams should all drop down a few spots, but theres no teams that fill the void. Mind you, there is a gap in points between 4th and 5th spot.

I hope the rankings are a true reflection on what happens in this RWC.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see either of the two games last night.

Samoa v USA tonight - The battle to avoid last spot i the group. Samoa will be bitterly disappointed with their world cup but I suspect they will have too much firepower for the US. The Americans will however compete hard. Samoa by 8.

its not often you hear that Samoa has too much firepower for the US of A :o

Current Wold Rankings

1(1) NEW ZEALAND93.38

2(2) AUSTRALIA87.73

3(3) SOUTH AFRICA86.44

4(4) ARGENTINA84.82

5(5) FRANCE84.63

6(6) IRELAND79.62

7(7) ENGLAND79.058

(8) WALES76.83

9(9) ITALY75.65

10(10) SCOTLAND74.95

11(11) FIJI73.07

12(12) TONGA72.56

13(13) SAMOA70.66

14(14) CANADA67.50

15(15) ROMANIA66.51

16(16) GEORGIA66.38

17(17) USA65.26

18(18) JAPAN64.79

19(19) RUSSIA64.37

20(20) URUGUAY62.66

21(21) SPAIN62.32

22(22) PORTUGAL62.03

23(23) KOREA58.02

24(24) NAMIBIA57.15

I scoped down so all the teams at the World Cup are included. Thailand incidentally are at 74. The full list is here

My question is this who do you think has either underperformed or excelled themselves in the World Cup so far?

My opinions only based on world rankings and realistic WC ambitions coming into the tournament:

Excelled: Argentina, Tonga, Georgia, Portugal

Underperformed: Ireland, Italy, Samoa

Jury's still out: New Zealand :o , South Africa, France, England, Wales

My opinions only based on world rankings and realistic WC ambitions coming into the tournament:

Jury's still out: New Zealand tongue.gif , South Africa, France, England, Wales

Agree with the excelled

Think England are currently in the underperformed but could change that if we win the QF

For NZ nothing less than the title will be sufficient. South Africa will need to get to the finals, France need a minimum of a semi berth in their home WC.

So much more to come in this tournament :o

Jury's still out: New Zealand tongue.gif , South Africa, France, England, Wales

Agree with the excelled

Think England are currently in the underperformed but could change that if we win the QF

For NZ nothing less than the title will be sufficient. South Africa will need to get to the finals, France need a minimum of a semi berth in their home WC.

So much more to come in this tournament :D

no pressure then MB? :o

Zinny has some critical words about the ABs, and for most part I tend to agree :o:D

Zinzan Brooke column _42055580_z_brooke3_55x55.jpg

o.gif By Zinzan Brooke

All Blacks legend 999999.gif

Everyone is saying the All Blacks are the team to beat at this World Cup, but you have got to ask why on the evidence of what we have seen so far.

They haven't done anything special, and I think there are three or four other teams well in the mix.

I could easily see New Zealand not getting to the final if they perform like they did against Scotland. It was a very poor performance.

The ball handling was awful at times and it wasn't just one individual, it was all the players.

It was a calamity of errors and if they end up facing France in the quarter-finals and playing like that, they are going to get absolutely pasted. The All Blacks knew before this World Cup started that if they were going to be right for a quarter-final against Ireland, Argentina or France, they had to get two pool games spot-on.

They disposed of Italy easily enough and there were glimpses of what they could do in a good performance.

They would have wanted to build on that against what was pretty much a second-string Scotland side, but all I saw was an All Blacks team fumbling around.

You could say look at the scoreline but the quality of play just wasn't there and the poor handling is all about the players' attitude and how they respond to whatever is chucked at them.

The few errors we saw even against Portugal were magnified once they were actually challenged by the Scots, and if I was an All Blacks supporter, I'd be asking 'how are we going to win the World Cup if we perform like that?'

If you wind the clock back six months, all the main players were on conditioning programmes and had an eight-week break to prepare for the World Cup, but I don't see any benefits coming through from that.

New Zealand have set the benchmark for the last two or three years, but individually and collectively those standards are not there at the moment.

If they played with the passion they showed during the Haka they should have destroyed Scotland. But they used too much energy on that and didn't save any for the game. People waking up early on Monday morning in New Zealand who have spent their life's fortunes on packages to come over for the semi-final and final might now be thinking 'where can I sell those tickets?'

New Zealand are in the quarter-finals but from there it is just a lottery.

Even England still have an outside chance if they deliver against Tonga on Friday, but this Tonga team has something about it.

It is more organised than usual and they probably played the best rugby of anyone against South Africa.

Their execution of most things was well drilled and yet they still had the essence of free-flowing rugby - when the opportunity to score was there they took it and made South Africa scramble hard to salvage the win.

The Tongans now have an opportunity to get to the quarter-finals for the first time in their history, which would be a dream for them.

It is right there in their hands, and for rugby reasons I would love to see Tonga beat England on Friday.

But from a selfish point of view I would like England to get through because they would be more of a threat against Australia in the quarter-finals.

I think that game would be a formality if Tonga get through, whereas I'd like to see the Wallabies given a harder work-out before a possible semi-final against New Zealand. Australia only played in bits and pieces against Fiji, but the Fijians were absolutely appalling.

I thought they would come to the party but I was very disappointed with their performance - they just didn't look interested and chucked up the white flag early on.

They can be a handful if their minds are right but I think Wales will have too much for them in their decisive Pool B game on Saturday.

In Pool C I tipped Italy to cause an upset before the tournament and reach the quarter-finals after their performances in the Six Nations.

But after watching them so far, I've changed my mind. I don't think it is their time. It will be a hard struggle but I think Scotland will put them away in St Etienne.

As for Ireland, they haven't even been at this World Cup.

They have been out-played, out-muscled and out-gunned, and haven't fired a shot yet.

We know they are capable of playing well but it is a case of how they are allowed to play, and they have not shown any signs they are a quarter-finalist-in-waiting.

I'll be cheering on Ireland to beat Argentina so the All Blacks don't have to play France in the quarters, but I don't see it happening. The opportunity is there for the Pumas to get through in the easier half of the draw now.

It wouldn't worry me who New Zealand played if they had performed to the standards they can in the games so far, but I think they need to take any help they can get.

The only comforting factor is that their quarter-final will be in the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and not in France. But I have seen nothing yet in any of the All Blacks' games to make me think I am looking at the world champions

BBC Sport

Edited by Donnyboy

Georgia 30 Namibia 0 - apparentyl the first time in 30 years that Namibia have played in the rain. No there's an original excuse for a drubbing :o Georgia's ever first win at the World Cup s congratulations to them

Samoa 25 USA 21 - Samoa 22 -3 up at half time just held out for their only win of this World Cup, The USA with only the Boks to play look to stay winless and finish bottom of the group.

Georgia 30 Namibia 0 - apparentyl the first time in 30 years that Namibia have played in the rain. No there's an original excuse for a drubbing :o Georgia's ever first win at the World Cup s congratulations to them

Samoa 25 USA 21 - Samoa 22 -3 up at half time just held out for their only win of this World Cup, The USA with only the Boks to play look to stay winless and finish bottom of the group.

morning MB, ready for tomorrows big game? :D

lets hope he makes a full recovery

Ireland's Best rushed to hospital

Ireland prop Simon Best has been admitted to hospital after falling ill and complaining of a loss of feeling down his right side.

Best, 29, was immediately transferred to hospital in Bordeaux where tests are being carried out.

The Ulster front row has been named on the bench for Sunday's World Cup crucial clash with Argentina in Paris.

"He was walking around town in Bordeaux when he felt the loss of feeling down his right side," said a statement.

"Team doctor Gary O'Driscoll is with him in hospital but we probably won't have any update on his condition until tomorrow (Thursday) morning."

Best, whose brother Rory was the first-choice hooker at the start of the World Cup before fracturing and dislocating his thumb against Georgia, has made 23 appearances for Ireland. He has come on as a substitute in all three games so far during the World Cup. Ireland must beat Argentina by more than seven points and score four or more tries to reach the quarter-finals, probably as runners-up to France in Pool D.

_44140839_best.jpg

BBC Sport

looks like the Wallabies have some injury worries. If Larkham is coming back in the semis he will be tested against the All Blacks, should they get thru :o

Wallabies rest Barnes for Canada

Australia v Canada

Chaban Delmas Stadium, Bordeaux

Saturday, 29 September

Kick-off: 1400 BST

Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Australia have rested fly-half Berrick Barnes for their final World Cup pool match against Canada in order to keep him fresh for the quarter-finals.

With first choice number 10 Stephen Larkham unavailable until a possible semi-final, coach John Connolly is not taking any chances with his stand-in.

Julian Huxley and Sam Cordingley will form an untried half-back pairing.

In all, Connolly has made 11 changes to the team that beat Fiji 55-12 to clinch top place in Pool B on Sunday.

Barnes, 21, was rushed into action when Larkham aggravated his knee on the eve of last week's match against Wales in Cardiff.

Larkham was set to return for the Canada match but has now had a second operation after his knee became infected.

And Connolly said: "Obviously Larkham's injury throws a spanner in the works. It made the decision easy on whether or not to play Berrick against Canada - we decided not to."

Huxley, who played at full-back in most of Australia's domestic Tests, will get his first starting role at the World Cup in Bordeaux.

o.gif

The pack has been rotated, with captain George Smith and Nathan Sharpe recalled after being rested against Fiji.

"Having won the pool we have a great opportunity to rest a few players and give some of the other squad members some exposure to the tournament," Connolly said.

"We've already experienced injuries on this tour and providing some more game time for players outside of the regular 22 will stand us in good stead if we need to call on them later in the tournament."

Scott Staniforth was named at inside centre, subject to a fitness test on his injured left shoulder, and will partner Adam Ashley-Cooper in midfield.

Wingers Lote Tuqiri and Drew Mitchell, along with Cooper, are the only survivors from last week's starting line-up, with Cameron Shepherd coming in at full-back. George Gregan, the 136-Test veteran and scrum-half, and seasoned fullback Chris Latham are the only two backs on the seven-man bench. Hugh McMeniman starts as blind-side flanker and David Lyons, who has not played since July, will make his comeback at number eight following treatment for deep vein thrombosis

_44139376_barnes203.jpg

Yep, congrats to Georgia for last nights result...but...namibia & rain ?? Don't really go together do they ? Also I suppose it's a good job they were in the same group as just couldn't see where their first win would come from.

Yep, congrats to Georgia for last nights result...but...namibia & rain ?? Don't really go together do they ? Also I suppose it's a good job they were in the same group as just couldn't see where their first win would come from.

perhaps in pool c, where all the hard teams are lurking :o

This weekends predictions part 1;

England vs Tonga, a minnow against the mighty.The battle for the 2nd spot in pool A as both have 9 points. Can the Tongans do it? Im sure they have a real chance as they nearly knocked the Boks off last weekend, but to front up again will be a hard ask. England will have to play smart rugby, and kick into the corners and for touch, avoid the middle of the park where the Tongans love to confront, and basically do everything better. England by 7.

NZ vs Romania, Im expecting a better performance from the men in Black (Grey last week) this week. Too many handling errors against a weaken Scotland team last week so Im looking for some simple rugby played correctly. Interestingly, I wonder how Carter will kick this week. NZ by 100.

Australia vs Canada, no Larkham, no Barnes. Australia should still have quality ball to control things but without the first and second choice fly halves, who knows? Canada will have a tough time against The Wallabies backline. They are starting to gel. Australia by 60.

Wales vs Fiji. Another battle for the 2nd spot in their pool, Wales has a tough game against a team that may have the speed out wide to put them away. Fiji will struggle in the line outs and possibly in the scrum. Wales by 20.

Halftime, England lead Tonga 19-10. A close and exciting game.

Tonga has let themselves down by dropping a few balls and players running in front of their ball carrier.

Good try thou. Sackey replied from a penalty cross kick from Wilko. Sackey scored again from a dropped Tonga pass to go 80 meters and score. Tonga will not give up thou, even when England has the goods in the lineouts and scrum.

looks like the 2nd half will be wet, expect England to tie it up in the forwards.

Fulltime England wins 36-20

England has played a solid game with Taite and Farrell bagging tries in the 2nd half. By far the best game England has played in this RWC. They may have to step up a couple more gears to beat the Wallabies thou. Wilkos kicking was patchy I thought.

Tonga unfortunately ran out of gas towards the end but scored a consulation try on fulltime, they can hold their heads up. Well done.

Fulltime England wins 36-20

England has played a solid game with Taite and Farrell bagging tries in the 2nd half. By far the best game England has played in this RWC. They may have to step up a couple more gears to beat the Wallabies thou. Wilkos kicking was patchy I thought.

Tonga unfortunately ran out of gas towards the end but scored a consulation try on fulltime, they can hold their heads up. Well done.

Thanks for that Donnyboy, I was totally convinced that we were playing tonight ?? :o

At least we avoided a potential banana skin that could of been a major embaressment :D

its gonna be another late night tonight :o

My Predictions this weekend part 2;

Scotland vs Italy; the battle for #2 in this pool and a place in the quaters to play most likely Argentina.Hard one to pick this one, but based on what Ive seen; Scotland by 9

France vs Georgia; Georgia need to front up again since beating Namibia 4 days ago to face France, who have had 8 days off since their last outing. My head says France will win well but my heart is with the Georgians here as they have tons of passion. France by 30.

Ireland vs Argentina; A must win for the luck-less Irish and also to score a bonus point to hope to secure a place for the next round. However, if France win and score a bonus point this weekend its all over for the Irish as the French will be on 15 points, and the Irish wont be able match that even if they win with a bonus. (most likely senario) The Irish have been at sixers and sevens this RWC. Cant see any difference this game. Argentina by 20.

South Africa vs USA; USA are in for a torrid time in this game, similiar to Georgia, the Eagles will have had 4 days to prepare for this slaughter. The Boks however have had 8 days to recover and will be itching to rack up a huge score. Boks by 50.

Speed kills! An often heard statement in North American sports. Can't coach speed. The All Blacks seem to have plenty. As a new rugby convert from the states, I like the way they play. Always trying to keep possession, lots of good ball handling and long runs, always supported by by a bunch of players. Fun to watch.

Quick summary of results from tonights games;

NZ vs Romania, NZ win 85-8

ABs still not as sharp as the first 2 games, but slightly better than last weeks game vs Scotland. Improvement needed. But 1st try in 37 secs!

Australia vs Canada, Australia win 37-6

Boring game I thought. Result never in doubt but it took an awful long time before the Wallabies scored their first try.

Wales vs Fiji. Fiji win 38-34. What a game! The best game so far in the tournament! Fiji played out of their skins in what I believe their RWC final. They threw everything in to it including kicks. Wales had them on the ropes a few times but Fiji came back. Well done- I dont think they can repeat that game against the Boks next weekend, but hope they do.

BTW, hope Nicky Little is ok, as he fell backwards in a tackle with his legs tucked up under him- it didnt look good on the replays.

Edited by Donnyboy

morning Donny, morning all

Absolutely agree with Donny. Fiji Wales was a storming match, a rugby game to savour. It had passion, great play both in the forwards and the backs, controversy, skill, big hits - the lot.

Congratulations to Fij who played out of their skins and great commiseration to the Welsh who will be bitterly disappointed to going home early.

Can Fiji do it again next week - inlikely but you never know. I will certainly be cheering them on.

Yesterday's other games were not in the same league. New Zealand won asily but made too amny errors for their perfectonist fans, Australia Canada was a turgid affair played at half bace that give an Englishman a glimmer of hope and the Scots squeezed past a poor Italy in an edgy encounter to quality in group C.

Tonights highlight is Ireland v Argentina - hopefully another cracker

Begsaresponse - With a likely QF against Argentina there is now a very real chance Scotland could make the semis. That would be quite an achievement.

Long way to go before that though

From what I have seen from both sides, the Argies would be dominant but I guess that might not count for anything in a one off game.

So, this is how the quarters are shaping up as;

6 Oct 20.00 Australia vs England

7 Oct 2.00 NZ vs TBC most likely France

7 Oct 20.00 South Africa vs Fiji

8 Oct 20.00 TRC most likely Argentina vs Scotland

but tonights games will be confirmation of the above

some stats so far

PLAYER POINTS RWC 2007

Percy MontgomeryRSA.gif (RSA) 52

Nick EvansNZL.gif (NZL) 50

Pierre HolaTGA.gif (TGA) 44

Jean-Baptiste ElissaldeFRA.gif (FRA) 42

Nicky LittleFJI.gif (FJI) 42http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/statistics/se...tics/index.html

PLAYER TRIES RWC 2007

Drew MitchellAUS.gif (AUS) 7

Shane WilliamsWAL.gif (WAL) 6

Doug HowlettNZL.gif (NZL) 6

Chris LathamAUS.gif (AUS) 5

Vincent ClercFRA.gif (FRA) 5

TEAM TRIES RWC 2007

NZL.gifNZL46

AUS.gifAUS30

WAL.gifWAL23

FRA.gifFRA15

RSA.gifRSA15

TEAM YELLOW CARD RWC 2007

ITA.gifITA3

TGA.gifTGA3

USA.gifUSA3

AUS.gifAUS2

FJI.gifFJI2

France 64 Georgia 7

Argentina 30 Ireland 15 - first of all commiserations to all Irish fans who i; be very disappointed having come into the tournament with such high hopes. This was Ireland's best game of the lot but they were well beaten by a very impressive Puma side. I wish England played like Argentina - strong forward play, clever control of possession and territory, quick recycled ball and aggressive defence. Argentina are going to be a handful for anyone and should beat Scotland to reach the semi finals. One thing I didn't like to see was the time wasting and rolling around on the ground in the style so beloved of the world's footballers. Not in rugby please.

South Africa 24 USA 15

Quarter finals then is confirmed as

6 Oct 20.00 Australia vs England

7 Oct 2.00 NZ vs France

7 Oct 20.00 South Africa vs Fiji

8 Oct 20.00 Argentina vs Scotland

Some crackers in there