Pattaya: Desperate dad comes to find his daughter on Koh Larn

webfact

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

I've lost touch with a few great bar girls.  Do you think it's appropriate Thai Police give me their addresses and phone numbers, or Immigration let me know me know if they are still in Thailand? 

I see your point.  How simple is it for the police to enter into the computer the daughter's name and date of birth and up come up with ID Card details and / or drivers license details, which includes address, and they pass it onto the father who can make his way to her for some care.

However, what if the father gets these details, goes to see the daughter, demands money, daughter refuses to give money, a fight ensues and the father assaults the daughter, or worse, stabs and kills the daughter. 

Would you say the police / immigration done the right thing?   

Looks more to me that you lost touch with reality, when you compare a father/daughter relationship with you losing contact with bar girls. Realley, Leaver???

No, you do definitely not see my point. Do not even try to go there! As a father he could go to the people registration office and find this out himself, if she have changed the data when moving. Therefore no big deal with those data to be revealed to family members.

So, now we are going to the crazy world, just to try and prove your point. That mean the phone books where abolished because mentally ill people could kill when they find people. What you are saying is that you are building a safe society on mentally ill people and all others have to fall in to the same line.

Yes, I would say that they made the right decision, due to that I do not count on the family members kill each other when they reconnect.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Looks more to me that you lost touch with reality, when you compare a father/daughter relationship with you losing contact with bar girls. Realley, Leaver???

No, you do definitely not see my point. Do not even try to go there! As a father he could go to the people registration office and find this out himself, if she have changed the data when moving. Therefore no big deal with those data to be revealed to family members.

So, now we are going to the crazy world, just to try and prove your point. That mean the phone books where abolished because mentally ill people could kill when they find people. What you are saying is that you are building a safe society on mentally ill people and all others have to fall in to the same line.

Yes, I would say that they made the right decision, due to that I do not count on the family members kill each other when they reconnect.

Are you really suggesting Thai police and Immigration should effectively assist with debt collection, not to mention breach of privacy?

Police and Immigration data bases are not public databases, like a phone book, or Google.   

It's not Facebook.  These databases are used for criminal investigations and control of migration and tourists.    

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Are you really suggesting Thai police and Immigration should effectively assist with debt collection, not to mention breach of privacy?

Police and Immigration data bases are not public databases, like a phone book, or Google.   

It's not Facebook.  These databases are used for criminal investigations and control of migration and tourists.    

Are you stupid? When did I say that they should assist in debt collection? Is this piece of news about that? I thought it was a father in need to connect with his daughter. The rest you and other posters just made up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Are you stupid? When did I say that they should assist in debt collection? Is this piece of news about that? I thought it was a father in need to connect with his daughter. The rest you and other posters just made up.

From the OP.

"He said that his daughter got quite a lot of money selling his land years ago - now he needed her help and it was payback time."

He wants / needs money.  Money he believes is owed to him.

Is he not trying to collect on a debt?   

Wake up.  He's not trying to reconnect with her after 10 years.  He's broke and wants money from her.  

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

From the OP.

"He said that his daughter got quite a lot of money selling his land years ago - now he needed her help and it was payback time."

Wake up.  He's not trying to reconnect with her after 10 years.  He's broke and wants money from her.  

Yes, and how is that strange?

On 9/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, worgeordie said:

I am sure he will be given a huge welcome when/if  he gets

over to Koh Larn,poor b&gger life has not been kind to him.

regards Worgeordie

Should have had more daughters.

Relying on just one to look after you in your old age is a bad bet.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, hotchilli said:

If that's the truth then she should help him out at his time of life.

40? Two sides to every story. You've only heard his side of the story regarding the land. More likely he disappeared from the family at 30 and they had to sell the land to get by. The daughter then went on the game as she had no alternative to support the family.

If I was the farang husband and this drunken waster turned up at my door, demanding money, he'd need even more money for his dental work.

Edited by polpott
  • Sad 1

On 9/24/2020 at 6:00 PM, Matzzon said:

As it´s very sad story about a daughter that left her dad alone to cope after selling his land. However, that is not the most sad thing with this story. Where is the police and immigration helping this man locate his daughter? If she is living with a foreigner on Koh Larn, then I am pretty sure immigration have information about her location as well as the foreigner she is living with. Think if they only could do their job, but I guess there is no money in it for them.

There is no indication of the father /daughter relationship before or after selling land. The relationship may have been dysfunctional and the daughter has a legitimate reasons to have no contact with her father. There are two sides to a story.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, polpott said:

40? Two sides to every story. You've only heard his side of the story regarding the land. More likely he disappeared from the family at 30 and they had to sell the land to get by. The daughter then went on the game as she had no alternative to support the family.

If I was the farang husband and this drunken waster turned up at my door, demanding money, he'd need even more money for his dental work.

That may well be true, it may be false.

The family may well have been dysfunctional and she got out by heading south, found her farang and is living well. 

He's desperate with his own situation, possibly of his own making, but she is his only family connection.

If she still doesn't want him around then fine, buy the old guy some clean clothes, a good meal & a bus ticket back home.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, polpott said:

Well they would struggle to sell the land if it was in his name. Quite common though for older parents to give parcels to their children.

Hard to know the truth, but the fact the daughter deliberately avoided contact suggests some bad feeling.

11 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

That may well be true, it may be false.

The family may well have been dysfunctional and she got out by heading south, found her farang and is living well. 

He's desperate with his own situation, possibly of his own making, but she is his only family connection.

If she still doesn't want him around then fine, buy the old guy some clean clothes, a good meal & a bus ticket back home.

Its the most likely truth. I speak from personal experience and the experience of the majority of bar girls. Fathers/husbands who use and abuse them then move on to a younger model, leaving their family to fend for themselves. My in laws get not one penny of my money, no meals, no clothes, no bus tickets. I don't even give them the steam off my s**t. Its called karma.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its the most likely truth. I speak from personal experience and the experience of the majority of bar girls. Fathers/husbands who use and abuse them then move on to a younger model, leaving their family to fend for themselves. My in laws get not one penny of my money, no meals, no clothes, no bus tickets. I don't even give them the steam off my s**t. Its called karma.

Then I hope Karma doesn't bite back & you find yourself needed help later in life... your kindness will be returned.

What's wrong with a father who lives in a society where the oldest daughter usually takes care of the parents?

I was at the hospital yesterday when a man was asking me for money to buy food. These are challenging times for way too many people. 

Even for foreigners who are supposed to have "too much money." Many are stranded in a country that isn't theirs.

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I couldn't agree more. The police can easily find out where she lives, but also lawyers have the ability. My neighbor, a lawyer, could find the former owner of a big bike I've bought. 

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

From the OP.

"He said that his daughter got quite a lot of money selling his land years ago 

The answer lies in this one sentence. 

3 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

"He said that his daughter got quite a lot of money selling his land years ago 

The answer lies in this one sentence. 

I can understand why he wants to find her, I just disagree that this family issue is a matter for police and / or immigration.  

On 9/25/2020 at 6:47 PM, Leaver said:

Has the foreigner breached any immigration laws?

Has the daughter committed a criminal offence?  

If the police and / or immigration provide the father with their whereabouts it would be a breach of their privacy and improper use of resources.  Eg. computer database. 

After 10 years, they may not be on Koh Larn, and could be in farangland somewhere, but perhaps there is a mutual family member still in contact that could reach out.   

If this is what the women did to her father, imagine what she is doing to her farang.   ????

Its not rocket science. Police find her, tell her that her father is looking for her, will she meet him.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:21 PM, Matzzon said:

It´s not an insult. According to me they should help the guy, and if the daughter not want to be found, she can at least pay back the money she in reality owe her father. However, I am sure you will bring the law into it and try make it irrelevant. Just do that. Have fun.

Of course it was an insult.

"According to you..."? Who should care about that? That's just your opinion. No one has to agree with it and it seems that no one does.

You were sure that I would bring the law into it? Where have I done that? Seems that you are wrong a lot these days.

They can help to find the daughter and give her the details.

You know absolutely zero concerning the truth of her familial situation, but here you are trying to tell the Police and us that she owes her father money. Ridiculous.

40 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Of course it was an insult.

"According to you..."? Who should care about that? That's just your opinion. No one has to agree with it and it seems that no one does.

You were sure that I would bring the law into it? Where have I done that? Seems that you are wrong a lot these days.

They can help to find the daughter and give her the details.

You know absolutely zero concerning the truth of her familial situation, but here you are trying to tell the Police and us that she owes her father money. Ridiculous.

What is most ridiculous is that you can not keep your cool, as well as you apparently do not know that a forum online is a place where people post their opinions. However, have a nice day now and try to not blow a fuse. ???? 

40 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, you think that the police is only for catching criminals. The police are also for help people.

Police also have to abide by the law.  (yes, I know the BiB are a law unto themselves) 

The way around it would be for the father to report the daughter as a missing person, then I agree the police should investigate, legally, but you can't have people go to a police station to find out where their friends and family are now living because they lost touch with them.  Such information could also be used for nefarious purposes.  

Edited by Leaver

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Police also have to abide by the law.  (yes, I know the BiB are a law unto themselves) 

The way around it would be for the father to report the daughter as a missing person, then I agree the police should investigate, but you can't have people go to a police station to find out where their friends and family are now living because they lost touch with them.  Such information could also be used for nefarious purposes.  

You can still easily go in to People Registration Office in Bangkok and get addresses for family members. It´s not illegal at all.

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The way around it would be for the father to report the daughter as a missing person, then I agree the police should investigate, legally, but you can't have people go to a police station to find out where their friends and family are now living because they lost touch with them.  Such information could also be used for nefarious purposes.  

All at a price. Not available to a drunk laid in a shop doorway in Pattaya.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, Matzzon said:

As it´s very sad story about a daughter that left her dad alone to cope after selling his land. However, that is not the most sad thing with this story. Where is the police and immigration helping this man locate his daughter? If she is living with a foreigner on Koh Larn, then I am pretty sure immigration have information about her location as well as the foreigner she is living with. Think if they only could do their job, but I guess there is no money in it for them.

nothing to do with police or, bizarrely, immigration. the daughter is an adult and has the right to make her own decisions about where she goes, what she does and whom she sees. if she was a vulnerable adult it would be different, but there is nothing to suggest she is. unfortunately there is little in the way of a social security safety net in thailand for people who hit hard times.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

You can still easily go in to People Registration Office in Bangkok and get addresses for family members. It´s not illegal at all.

I did not know that.  

Do they vet the people making the inquiry? 

What's stopping someone from finding someone in order to do them harm?