Mobile Internet

toret

Hi Toret,

does the Huawei user interface indicates if you have Edge or GPRS reception (normally you'll see either a G or an E somewhere)?

Your quoted speeds look more like an (admittedly pretty good) gprs connection!

If it's only GPRS, you might try to borrow a one2call sim from somebody and check if you can get Edge reception! AIS has equally affordable options!

I don't use the Huawei interface to dial up, as experience tells me that the connection is more stable if i make a new regular modem dial-up connection in Windows and set the Huawei as modem with *99# as the number to dial.

If I open the interface, it just says GPRS/EDGE, but when the cursor hovers over the connection icon (the two little screens at the bottom right), it says connected at 236,8 kbps which I suspect is EDGE protocol max speed.

But as I said earlier, the test was done on a server in Norway. And I should add that it was at a night where the net seemed slow in general.

Testing right now at the Thaivisa speedometer (based in Thailand?), i get 130/12

The norwegian server gives me 57/34

sorry, this might be a bit off-topic, but could you explain to a DUMMIE what kind of hardware is needed to connect a notebook with EDGE ?

long time ago, I bought a Motorola-mobile-phone with built-in Modem from a shop in Pattaya's TUKCOM to use GPRS, but that was 100% crap (i think the mobile phone was crap as well as the AIS-connection that time, it could easily interrupt 10 times per hour, and slow as a snail.... sometimes less than 1 KB / sec.

so I was annoyed after a while and stopped using it.....

can anybody tell me what would I need to give EDGE a try ?

and any DTAC or AIS-shop in Bangkok where they have skilled english-speaking-staff who would be able and patient enough to explain everything or even initiate the whole thing ?

thank you

Edited by THAILIBAN

All DTAC service centers, or at least the ones I have been to, have helpful and well educated english-speaking staff.

If you have a registered address in Thailand, you could try to get post-paid which is less of a hassle and probably cheaper.

If your phone and PC has bluetooth, you can easily use the phone as a modem. If not, you can buy a PCMCIA card, usually discounted if you sign up for a year service. But this of course apply only to post-paid.