American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

That's a typical answer from someone like yourself.

Seeing as you know me so well and call me an 'apologist' - - I wasn't apologizing for anyone... the guy states how he does not like it here and I tell him he has choices... I always had choices and exercised them to do what I wanted...

seemingly unlike you who is forced to return... sorry for your predicament but don't blame it on others.. 

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

There is much better places around the world and not so much hassle.

There "are" - - but, maybe English isn't your first language... so, off you go - haunt those forums w/your negativity

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Personally I think they're just a load of old miserly grumpy faced farts,

and don't assume that I have a miserly miserable existence... you are not even close - - and I am here by choice and because I like it... you are the one who seems rather unhappy.. 

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Well obviously none that you linked !!

Really, these are the ones I linked, and I see one at 6400 and another at 7600 Baht

Even the deluxe sea view you booked can be had with more options at 5300 Baht, that is if you're not a cheap skint troll of course

image.png.90bdb636b8ebaad25090249951170736.png

861072271_granddelxe.jpg.40807ed39ce4136fd23c162499f31de4.jpg

Edited by Susco

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Little bit advice to any business in any sector: don’t have your customers imprisoned. It isn’t a good look. 

People leave bad reviews. This is life. Explain why the review is wrong or at least try to settle it with the guest. This has now just made it much worse for the hotel. 

And before people say it’s the law or the police did it, etc, once you go to the police to file charges for someone writing bad reviews, you can safely assume they’ll be arrested if the case is accepted. That’s how filing complaints with the police works. 

A honest review is OK, but if true, that it was fabficated, then he deserves it. I think they did try to settle it with customer! My view just another over opinionated yank!

Would be good to hear the customers side. 

Just now, Badboldie said:

A honest review is OK, but if true, that it was fabficated, then he deserves it. I think they did try to settle it with customer! My view just another over opinionated yank!

Would be good to hear the customers side. 

That’s why it needs to be proved he was lying. You take him to court and sue him. This is a civil matter. Not a criminal one. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

The whole case is about much more than a "tourist wanting to avoid corkage". It's about an expat facing jail and deportation on base of a fascist law made to curb freedom and freedom of speech, just for posting a hotel review on Trip Advisor.

The guy obviously has alcohol issue and (I doubt for the first time) has landed himself in a big pile of steaming excrement.

4 minutes ago, Susco said:

Really, these are the ones I linked, and I see one at 6400 and another at 7600 Baht

Even the deluxe sea view you booked can be ahd with more options at 5300 Baht, that is if you're not a cheap skint troll of course

image.png.90bdb636b8ebaad25090249951170736.png

861072271_granddelxe.jpg.40807ed39ce4136fd23c162499f31de4.jpg

hahahaha, your delusional.

The room rate is the lowest number, how do you know he booked at the higher price with the extra options...... you don't so run away troll you messed up and are now clutching at straws to avoid looking the fool you are.

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

For hotels or restaurants that do sell alcohol a corkage charge is absolutely the norm.

This isn't always the case, Thai owned and/or managed places offer flexibility. I remember at KC Grande (White Sands, Koh Chang) when pointing out they hadn't charge their corkage fee, being relied "not for you sir we are a good customer". It effectively converted the fee into a tip, but that's the essence of "win win" situation.

I think it is mostly the Farang owned places that are stubborn when it comes to corkage, the epitome of dumbness being  a place in Kai Bea where they want to charge corkage for the wine they sell in the shop that is part of the restaurant; I cancelled my order and left. At Wine Connection they know better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

That’s why it needs to be proved he was lying. You take him to court and sue him. This is a civil matter. Not a criminal one. 

He doesn't need to be lying, read the Thai law on Defamation. 

Anyway he has yet to be prosecuted and it would be wrong to automatically assume he will get locked up if convicted. Just because the law allows for a prison sentence does not mean it will happen. 

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

The room rate is the lowest number, how do you know he booked at the higher price with the extra options

I don't know, that is why I asked you 3 times already if you knew which room the American booked.

But as a professional troll, you avoid answering that question, and deflect by making some troll posts.

1 minute ago, rott said:

He doesn't need to be lying, read the Thai law on Defamation. 

Anyway he has yet to be prosecuted and it would be wrong to automatically assume he will get locked up if convicted. Just because the law allows for a prison sentence does not mean it will happen. 

I hope it doesn't happen totally OTT but he was a real jerk posting multiple reviews and not answering emails etc.  Winding up Thais in Thailand is not very sensible.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, happyaussie said:

I know this resort and the family who own it are not the humble small business people they say. They are extremely well connected. 

No where else would the hotel be able to lay charges on someone for a negative review. instead, the hotel has the right to reply and give their version of events. There are also channels to have reviews removed.

However the guys review does seem over the top and vindictive. Certainly not what Thai tourism needs at the moment.  

A post that brings light to the situation rather than an opinion.

• Like 1

This guy gives a bad name to Americans and probably deserves this.  I doubt this is his first time acting like a donkey's behind to the service industry employees
and towards business owners afterward.  Acting more like a little girl than a man, making up gossip and spreading it.

This business is getting what it deserves. Thhey are apparently no Saint either from previous reviews.  However, there is no need to jail people.  If this was false, the online companies will remove the reviews.  file civil suit if need be.

The law itself?   Reveiws are for the protection of consumers and the good of the good businesses.  The worldwide press coming from this may also do some good to get some changes made.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Little bit advice to any business in any sector: don’t have your customers imprisoned. It isn’t a good look. 

People leave bad reviews. This is life. Explain why the review is wrong or at least try to settle it with the guest. This has now just made it much worse for the hotel. 

And before people say it’s the law or the police did it, etc, once you go to the police to file charges for someone writing bad reviews, you can safely assume they’ll be arrested if the case is accepted. That’s how filing complaints with the police works. 

No ,it does not in thailand.Its because the hotel is owned by ?.if a farang makes a complaint about ? to the police.Nothing happens.welcome to thailand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Expat should know better and why bother? He has not proved anything to anyone else!???

3 sides to the story; his siide, their side and the truth.

Unfortunately there is only one side to the story in a defamation case. What he published online is the ONLY story. Even if his complaints could be validated, it's irrelevant. Even the truth is not a defence here... this is Thai law. When you live here, you're under Thai law whether you like it or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfair and libelous comments should be against the law. I have witnessed a man, who on being refused a takeaway , ( it was a restaurant and had no take away materials needed) screamed he would * let the world know what a bad restaurant this was and ruin them*.  He had been turned down very politely and there was no need at all for the scene he made in front of all the guests. There are people who are vindictive and are using the internet to vent their anger !!! By the way, he did what he menaced. 
Also, you don’t take a bottle of gin , or other drinks into a restaurant anywhere , corkage is quite usual. 

• Thanks 1