Passport Renewal, proof of address.

Hi guys just a quick one.

So I need to renew my passport soon, but I am worried about the proof of address.

The proof of address that is needed does it have to be a Thai address and if so will it effect my address status in the UK. As I have a home in the UK which I would want to keep linked to all my UK Documents.

Thanks guys.

I successfully renewed my UK passport last November 2019 at the passport office at the Trendy Building, central Bangkok

You are required to submit proof of Thai residential address, in my case was my electricity bill and internet providers bill

The UK Gov website gives full instructions and list all documents required for submission

Proof of residence many options are accepted, of which you can choose two

FYI: My neighbour used his rental agreement

You will be required to make an appointment for submission of document via their website [You will need your debit card], lead time was about a week. 

From the appointment, to getting email notice to pick up new passport was around two weeks

Remember to get ANY Thai document translated to english

All documents triple copied

Passport copy should be colour copied end-to-end, pages used or not

Thanks Jim for the information that is very handy.

But will the UK government then have my Thai temporary address linked to my passport? Does this even matter?

Im just worried that it may effect my residential status in the UK and if I provide them with the place I am staying here as this will only be temporary.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, WhaleBomb said:

Thanks Jim for the information that is very handy.

But will the UK government then have my Thai temporary address linked to my passport? Does this even matter?

Im just worried that it may effect my residential status in the UK and if I provide them with the place I am staying here as this will only be temporary.

Cheers

Even stranded tourists are allowed to renew a passport in Thailand, and they don't have a permanent address, just a temporary. If you have to come up with an address where you're staying at the moment, that can't be a problem. 

13 hours ago, JIMHILL said:

You will be required to make an appointment for submission of document via their website [You will need your debit card], lead time was about a week. 

From the appointment, to getting email notice to pick up new passport was around two weeks

Kind of bizarre, particularly in these covid times of minimized face time. Are these still the rules in place?

Anyway, some advantages to being a Yank, as passport renewals here in Thailand can be accomplished all by mail (not sure if proof of address is needed.....).  Thank you, Great Grandpappy, for burning your Brit passport 240 years ago.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Kind of bizarre, particularly in these covid times of minimized face time. Are these still the rules in place?

Anyway, some advantages to being a Yank, as passport renewals here in Thailand can be accomplished all by mail (not sure if proof of address is needed.....).  Thank you, Great Grandpappy, for burning your Brit passport 240 years ago.

When I last renewed my British passport in 2013, I was not, to the best of my recollection, required to provide any proof of my Thai address, even though my replacement passport was subsequently couriered directly to this address.

However, under the current procedures which were introduced in 2014, we Brits are now required to both provide proof of address AND collect our replacement passports in person from offices in Bangkok or Chiang Mai (i.e. these are no longer sent directly to us). Go figure the logic for requiring proof of address in these circumstances because I certainly can't figure it out! Petty bureaucracy for petty bureaucracy's sake, I think!!

Edited by OJAS

From your posts my guess is your long term intention is to remain in the UK.

If I am right in that assumption what I suggest is that you submit a letter with your passport application and copy it to HM Revenue and Customs making clear that your address here is temporary because of (reason) and that you remain a UK resident.

There are a whole bunch of reasons for doing this.  To give one example if you are not a UK resident you cannot hold a UK driving licence.  There can be tax implications also.  

23 hours ago, WhaleBomb said:

Are you a tourist currently on an extended stay in Thailand under the terms of the amnesty? If you are, then the obvious course of action as I see it would be for you to return to the UK before your passport expires and renew it there. You can even do this online in the UK, which, for some ridiculous reason, is not possible from Thailand. Not to mention that having to prove your address would then become a total non-issue, of course!

Edited by OJAS