แค่นี้นะ Khaae Nee Na

stevehaigh

แค่นี้ khaae nee litterally translates to "up to this point", or "that's all". but i've noticed that most thai's wrap up phone conversations and sometime in person conversations with khaae nee na. how would you interpret in that context? something like "that's it, i'm done talking to you!" i guess?

thx steve

Edited by stevehaigh

แค่นี้ khaae nee litterally translates to "up to this point", or "that's all". but i've noticed that most thai's wrap up phone conversations and sometime in person conversations with khaae nee na. how would you interpret in that context? something like i guess?

thx steve

"that's it, I'm done talking to you!" seems to have too negative a feel to it in English. I don't typically get a negative feel from แค่นี้. I interpret as a polite way to end a conversation actually. Something more like "That's all I really had to say, so I guess I'll be going now." Obviously the tone of voice can change it. แค่นี้ said with a harsh voice would give the impression of "that's it, i'm done talking to you!" exactly as you translated it. However, the feel carried by แค่นี้ in my experience has primarily been pleasant. It is broad, though, it could be "that's all I have time for right now, so that's enough, OK?" "I can't handle anymore so lets move on." Or simply, as you first stated, "that's all!" said with a smile, a frown, a grimace, or a snarl. Interestingly I've found that the particle นะ alone can be tagged on to the end of the sentence to add emphasis to whatever general tone of the sentence it follows. In some cases I've felt it to be the most derogatory condescending word possible and at others absolutely adorable.

Thanks for the post. It's an interesting phrase to look at.

Obviously the tone of voice can change it. แค่นี้ said with a harsh voice would give the impression of "that's it, i'm done talking to you!" exactly as you translated it. However, the feel carried by แค่นี้ in my experience has primarily been pleasant.

As with many expressions, non verbal communication will change the meaning completely. It can be a very friendly and polite end of a conversation, and it can be a harsh beginning of a conflict (usually though without the 'na' at the end).

I've found that depending on your tone of voice this can be either a polite or impolite end to a conversation. Although it could be translated to 'That's it for now' I would say that in English you're more likely to say something like 'Ok I'll talk to you later then' which you could say politely or more abruptly.

Interesting to learn the Central phrase, my southern father-in-law uses "tao nee kop" at the end of a phone conversation with me. Either that or he just stops talking and hangs up leaving me chatttering away on the other end.

I much prefer the notice of the business being finished :o