Monitor Running Of Laptop.

NoshowJones

For the past six months, I have had a much larger monitor screen running of a brand new Acer Laptop, without warning, I could not scroll up and down properly, when I clicked on "My Computer", the pages start building up, I could not get my movies to work. I went back to the start, then after clicking on to my browser and on to YouTube, or anything else, I could not go backwards to previous pages.

I disconnected the laptop from the monitor, and it did the same things by itself, which meant that the fault was with the laptop. I then connected the laptop and monitor back together, and the problems continued.

Later, I tried it again and everything started working fine, this is the second time all this has happened, with everything now working fine, I await the same things happening again. Anyone know what is causing this?

My laptop has been connected to a 42" Samsung TV for over 2-1/2 years and is used daily to read my email, Yahoo news, Web search and streaming. Occasionally, I have a similar  issue. Are you using a wireless mouse? I use a wireless mouse and have found that unplugging and reinstalling the wireless USB adapter, immediately corrects scrolling  problems. I have also had video/sound issues that disappear after a laptop restart. 

6 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My laptop has been connected to a 42" Samsung TV for over 2-1/2 years and is used daily to read my email, Yahoo news, Web search and streaming. Occasionally, I have a similar  issue. Are you using a wireless mouse? I use a wireless mouse and have found that unplugging and reinstalling the wireless USB adapter, immediately corrects scrolling  problems. I have also had video/sound issues that disappear after a laptop restart. 

No, I'm not using a wireless mouse, and never had a problem with sound in any way, when I watch movies, I always use Bluetooth.

15 hours ago, THEN said:

Are you using your laptop in A/C or outside temperatures?

Could be a cooling issue for the laptop?

I did have the laptop switched on for days at a time when downloading from Pirate Bay, but I have the App that tells you the temperature, and it was steady all the time.

The room the laptop is in has the AC on most of the time through the day.

TJ Max  85 C         Min 36C

CPU#0:  36 C        Max 45C

This was the Temp this morning after being left off overnight.

Edited by possum1931

14 hours ago, connda said:

A Windows Update probably hosed it.  If you could go back to a older restore point to test that theory. 

I don't remember any Windows update in that time, but it is something to keep in mind. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, the symptoms you describe sounds like a faulty mouse/.touchpad. A button/key stuck down etc.

Maybe unplug mouse or switch to touchpad net time it happens

I have now changed my mouse, trying the touchpad made no difference, my laptop has been fine for the last three days now, if it happens again I will check for button/key stuck down, thanks.

10 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have now changed my mouse, trying the touchpad made no difference, my laptop has been fine for the last three days now, if it happens again I will check for button/key stuck down, thanks.

Please try if you can do a System Restore. That might do the trick if it's a software problem. If the restore worked well and it's still like that, you might need a new graphic card. 

Only type system restore in the search field....

For the future, create a System Image by using Macrium ( free) and have an image on an external drive. 

Edited by teacherclaire

Just now, teacherclaire said:

Please try if you can do a System Restore. That might do the trick if it's a software problem. If the restore worked well and it's still like that, you might need a new graphic card. 

It's OK, if it happens again and touch pad and keys are OK, I will get a System Restore. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, THEN said:

If you download many torrents, then try "Defragment and optimize drives" and "Disk cleanup"

Most likely only the cause if your disk is 90-100% full.

Then it would be wise to store all downloads on drive D. You're using the Drive C for all you're doing and the OS is installed there. Easy to change the setting on your Torrent downloader where the files go to. 

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

It's OK, if it happens again and touch pad and keys are OK, I will get a System Restore. Thanks. 

Ants are often causing weird problems. Your machine was properly too hot, or the tiny buggers are dead now and blown away. 

• Like 1