Moving money from Nationwide UK?

Transferred money out of flex-account to another bank two weeks ago no problem, all you have to do is enter sort code and account number. Trying yesterday all day just get error message- payee cannot be found, even though I put money in this bank before and the sort code is the same. Been onto Nationwide and even spent 12 hours messaging them on face book and twitter as well as the website, got nowhere except round in a circle. Some suggestion it's a new level of security but no answers, tried other browsers, devices, the app instead of the website, nothing worked after 17 attempts. Anyone else have this recent problem?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Had to do send to new, check payee did not work as the bank I was sending to has not signed up for it, now I found move money only works (for me) on edge browser and just ignore the warnings about if the transfer goes wrong the funds possibly not being returnable, security gone a bit ott. In the end it worked but took a long time to resolve all the problems and a bit of a pain only being able to do 10k at a time.

The name on the Payee account now has to match the name you put into the Payee field when sending, or there could be problems.

Also, if a Sole trader is being paid you may have to use their actual name rather than the name of their business when transferring money to their business account. However, I'm not sure if that is the same when making payments to all the banks participating in the scheme or not.

Edited by thinktoomuch

On 10/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, Orton Rd said:

Transferred money out of flex-account to another bank two weeks ago no problem, all you have to do is enter sort code and account number. Trying yesterday all day just get error message- payee cannot be found, even though I put money in this bank before and the sort code is the same. Been onto Nationwide and even spent 12 hours messaging them on face book and twitter as well as the website, got nowhere except round in a circle. Some suggestion it's a new level of security but no answers, tried other browsers, devices, the app instead of the website, nothing worked after 17 attempts. Anyone else have this recent problem?

Did you use your card reader ?, I have no problems transferring money, It is even quicker now i put the reason as sustenance

I have cut/pasted from an email I received from NW in May this year, hope it helps

Nationwide white.jpg white.jpg white.jpg top-right-frame.png
new-spacer.gif
new-spacer.gif
Building Society
Confirmation of Payee is coming to make sending money more secure
new-spacer.gif
bottom-left-frame.png new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif bottom-right-frame.png
june16-spacer-v2.gif
top-left-frame.png new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif top-right-frame.png
new-spacer.gif
new-spacer.gif
Confirmation of Payee (CoP) is a new name-checking service that will help to make sure payments are sent to the right personal or business account.

It will do this by:

checking that the name of the person or organisation you give us matches the one on the account you want to pay
explaining the risk of sending money when the name doesn’t match
helping you to avoid certain types of payment scam

The changes are coming soon, so keep an eye out and make sure your Banking app is up to date.

A CoP check will only be needed when you pay a person or organisation for the first time, or change their account details. It also applies to payments like one-off bills, standing orders, or each time you make a CHAPS payment.
new-spacer.gif
bottom-left-frame.png new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif bottom-right-frame.png
june16-spacer.gif
top-left-frame.png new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif new-spacer.gif top-right-frame.png
new-spacer.gif
new-spacer.gif
What you need to know:
When you’re transferring money, whether it’s online, via the Banking app, by phone, or in a branch, it’s important to have the correct details that appear on the account for the person you’re paying.

You’ll need their:

full first name – for example ‘Thomas’ not ‘Tom’
last name
sort code
account number (and account reference if needed)
account type

For payments into a business account, you’ll need the full business or organisation’s name, and to specify that it’s a business account.

If you’re expecting a payment from someone, they’ll need those same details from you – although you only need to give details of one account holder if it’s a joint account.

More information on how it works is available here, including what to do if CoP is unsuccessful.

These changes will help keep you and your money safe online – it’s all part of our Digital Banking Promise.
  • Like 1

Why would you use Nationwide service which when your money comes to the bank hrre in Thailand they rob you blind. Use Forex Tor or similar. Set up the account and you can transfer without cost from Nationwide with a better exchange rate. 

Make your complaint via the messaging service on their website, they are usually efficient.

Edited by Sumarianson

2 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Why would you use Nationwide service which when your money comes to the bank hrre in Thailand they rob you blind. Use Forex Tor or similar. Set up the account and you can transfer without cost from Nationwide with a better exchange rate. 

Make your complaint via the messaging service on their website, they are usually efficient.

Nationwide give Visa ex rate and only charge 20 pounds whatever amount. just saying.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Nationwide give Visa ex rate and only charge 20 pounds whatever amount. just saying.

£20 pounds seems a lot, Halifax bank charges £9.50 whatever the amount, the main reason i never send money to Thailand via Nationwide, just saying!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I used transferwise to Thailand my transfer was bank to bank in UK

41 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

£20 pounds seems a lot, Halifax bank charges £9.50 whatever the amount, the main reason i never send money to Thailand via Nationwide, just saying!

Then if I remember you get hit with another intermediary bank fee, I stopped that years ago when nationwide charged for the transfer and the bank in Thailand did as well, never got a refund so closed account

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Then if I remember you get hit with another intermediary bank fee, I stopped that years ago when nationwide charged for the transfer and the bank in Thailand did as well, never got a refund so closed account

I use World First currency. You get about 0.2 baht below the interbank rate and NO fee. An intermediary bank always charges but works out about 150 - 200 baht depending on amount. As a customer I referred a friend and we each got £50 reward !

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I used transferwise to Thailand my transfer was bank to bank in UK

Transferwise tells you the rate. With Forex you choose the rate at which you wish to exchange or accept the spot rate they give you. 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, brianthainess said:

Nationwide are showing 39.979 baht today. Transferwise are showing 40.842. Transferwise fee is £5.91 for transferring a £1000.