How far in advance can I apply for COE?

Register for Certificate of Entry

• fill in application form and upload passport information page (in the menu on the next page)
    • Embassy/Consulate-General takes 3 working days to process the application
    • Applicant can check the result of application on website (in menu on the next page)

Once approved

• Applicant finds and books a flight and Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) within 15 days

Above are the first two steps for applying for COE. Where it says applicant must find and book flight within 15days, does that mean the flight must depart within 15 days or just that I must book a flight within 15 days?

I am planning to fly mid November, can I apply for COE now or do I have to wait until 15days before I wish to fly?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting - where is that guidance from?

Don’t know if this helps but I booked my flight and ASQ 3 wks in advance and after emailing details to the embassy received my COE next day.

the COE included details of my flights and ASQ. 

I applied at the end of September for a flight on 25th October. I booked my flight first before, applying for the pre COE. The pre COE came through within 2 days. I then obtained my ASQ confirmation. A lot of hotels I emailed, did not respond and some where already booked. Anyway, managed to book one and uploaded my details on day 13 of the 15 and received the COE within 1 day. Whole process very quick. So, to answer your question, it seems you can book quite a way in advance. The risk is it seems difficult to get any money back for hotel booking the closer to the date of travel and depending on flight day of departure and time, make the 72 hour prior departure Covid 19 test difficult to obtain.

I checked a embassy website and it states this for COE application.

"1. At least 15 working days before the intended date of travel, the applicant must fill in the information and upload all required documents online"

In my case, applying from the Philippines, I had to present confirmation of both flight and ASQ (among other documents) as part of the application for CoE, which was then only released to me after further presentation of a negative result for a COVID-19 swab test taken within 72 hours of the flight's departure. That involved queueing up at the Embassy on the afternoon before the flight, with COVID test result in hand.

Not consistent across embassies then.  The Philippines approach seems unnecessary - maybe they are suspicious of authenticity of test results and perhaps do some spot checks?

the bottom line I suppose is to be wary that procedures vary dependent upon origin and airline.