September 2020 Arrivals - The Trickle Exodus

47 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The trickle of people leaving Thailand have continued, but at a slower pace.

Slower coz soon don't have any left to leave , rest is here for stay and have hole life here!

Thailand don't understand what they going to loose! These people never get back, if move your life forward , almost never you go backwards. You maybe leave bad memories in past and nobody want those anymore!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Slower coz soon don't have any left to leave , rest is here for stay and have hole life here!

Thailand don't understand what they going to loose! These people never get back, if move your life forward , almost never you go backwards. You maybe leave bad memories in past and nobody want those anymore!

The leaving stranded people were not big spenders and many still here must be running out of money, that's all. 

• Confused 1

Nearly 1.2 million consumers! That's the size of a large city, half of those that left are the big spending (compared to Thai's) Westerners who support those areas outside BKK and CM where the rural population live! Who is going to reinvest in those areas to keep the villages ticking along? In my village my wife and I contribute 2 million baht into the area's economy, given that the common multiplier is x 4, why does the government "hate" us? Why do they insist on making our collective lives a slow burn of misery? Collectively we only want what is best for the country and use what resources we have to make our lives and the lives of our extended family better?

I'm starting to understand why people are leaving....

End of rant! 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TPI said:

Nearly 1.2 million consumers! That's the size of a large city, half of those that left are the big spending (compared to Thai's) Westerners who support those areas outside BKK and CM where the rural population live! Who is going to reinvest in those areas to keep the villages ticking along? In my village my wife and I contribute 2 million baht into the area's economy, given that the common multiplier is x 4, why does the government "hate" us? Why do they insist on making our collective lives a slow burn of misery? Collectively we only want what is best for the country and use what resources we have to make our lives and the lives of our extended family better?

End of rant! 

quote ''why does the government "hate" us? Why do they insist on making our collective lives a slow burn of misery? ''

who are you referring to?

any none Thai visitors?

just westerners?

short stay tourists?

long stay tourists?

non immigrant visa holders retired?

non immigrant visa holders married?

A bit of a stretch of the imagination on your part, i for one stick to the rules, have never had an overstay and have never had a major problem with immigration or the rules,

its people that over the years that have 'bent' the rules that are the problem, repeat borders runners, ed visa holders and the 'volunteer' visa holders will be the next group, just get the correct visa, and have the financials sorted for the long term extensions.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Your conclusion is probably right, but we are not running out of people leaving yet. Some nationalities are still leaving in droves. Chinese (-1,553), Russian (-866), British (-652) Myanmar (-5,372), Lao (-5,283), Indian (-448) in September alone.

Others are starting to return: Japanese (+954)

9 hours ago, TPI said:

Why do they insist on making our collective lives a slow burn of misery?

9 hours ago, TPI said:

The reason they are leaving, is the same reason they will not return, and will advise their friends, family, and social media, of the same.  

• 2 weeks later...

No, in my experience the people who are leaving are doing so out of necessity not choice. They would be back tomorrow if it were possible and practical. 

The steady trickle of unreplaced leavers has hit the resorts hard. Probably not as hard as the regular tourists but it is having an effect. 

2 hours ago, rott said:

No, in my experience the people who are leaving are doing so out of necessity not choice. They would be back tomorrow if it were possible and practical. 

The steady trickle of unreplaced leavers has hit the resorts hard. Probably not as hard as the regular tourists but it is having an effect. 

Last high season was the quietest high season I have ever seen here.

If they are not returning as tourists, they will not return as future expat retirees.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:47 PM, TPI said:

End of rant! 

I don't know what sort of village you live in to spend that sort of money, unless it's rent for a mansion and servants for every purpose.

In my wife's village the only thing to spend money on was food and petrol for the scooter. Apart from an occasional bus trip to the big city to buy things not available at the village, life was very, very cheap. I lived in the family home so no rent to pay.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:44 AM, Leaver said:

The reason they are leaving, is the same reason they will not return, and will advise their friends, family, and social media, of the same.  

Whenever I returned to NZ on my regular yearly trip, it was noticeable how little interest in Thailand everyone had. I doubt any I know will be lining up to visit LOS in the future.

• Like 1

People leave for a myriad of reasons, some good, some bad.

We left because I was tired of the place, for somewhere to live full time at least, and my wife wanted to get her career back on track.

But I remember the look on the immigration guy at BKK, when he told me to go get a re-entry permit, and I told him, 'no need, I wasn't coming back'

Incredulous hardly cuts it. A lot of them don't really get that Thailand as a destination isn't the paradise on earth they think it to be, and long stay residents are just all so thankful to be there.

Again there is no one size fits all answer, but I suspect this chaos may find many reassessing what and where they want to be in the world

• Like 2