Visa for parent of a Thai Child

I have a friend who is currently in the UK - he is the father of 4 thai kids and is divorced

None of the children currently live in Thailand

Will he be able to apply for a Visa on the basis of being the parent of a Thai child considering the fact that the kids are not presently in Thailand?

Edited by darrendsd

The visa would not be a problem since there is no requirement to prove they are are living in Thailand. It based solely on their birth certificates.

For a certificate of entry that might be a different story but I don't recall that proof of it is required.

See: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@ubonjoe > Just curious about whether there is an age-limit for the Thai children after which you are not eligible anymore to use it as reason for applying for the Visa or extension.

There is no written rule limiting the age to apply for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of Thai.

IMO there should not be a age limit since you will always be their parent not matter old you are.

• Thanks 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

There is no written rule limiting the age to apply for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of Thai.

IMO there should not be a age limit since you will always be their parent not matter old you are.

Thanks!

When applying for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai child, the 'child' has to be with you when applying.  Would the Thai immigration officer not object to providing you with the extension when the 'child' was already an adult in his 30s or 40s? 

From what you write, it shouldn't matter (and I agree that age shouldn't be a consideration as it is a 'family' visit).

I thought the child had to be under 20 from what I've read on the embassy website but maybe I'm wrong.

Also could someone please clear up what the financial requirements are to apply for the initial 90 day of being a parent of a Thai child, applying from UK. I've searched on Thai visa, Google, the embassy website and still it only says proof of income or bank statements but not how much! I'm aware that you need baht 400k for the extension but this is the initial 90 day. Why wouldn't they tell you how much. I read somewhere and I can't for the life of me remember where it was that you needed to show £1500 (up from £1400 previously) for the past three months in your account but maybe that was for another visa type. I'm applying from UK and hoping to get back to my son before Christmas. 

Thanks for all replies. 

Edited by dontpanic

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your Thai child, the 'child' has to be with you when applying.  Would the Thai immigration officer not object to providing you with the extension when the 'child' was already an adult in his 30s or 40s? 

There is no age limit for the 60 day extension to visit a child. If a office refused to allow one due to a child's age they would be way out bounds doing it.

In the one year extension rules under being the parent of a Thai it has this line in it.

"In case the father of mother requests to be under maintenance of children, the age of father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

I can assure that the child mentioned above would be older that 20 years old.

There is confusion all the time between extensions related to being the parent of a Thai verses a non Thai child applying for a extension to live with his family that has the limit of 20 years old for them to get the extension.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have been granted a one year extension based upon being the father (bringing up a child). I was told that I can continue to apply until my daughter is 20.

As ubonjoe points out there is no written rule, so I rather suspect that it is either local policy or the opinion of the Officer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dontpanic said:

I thought the child had to be under 20 from what I've read on the embassy website but maybe I'm wrong.

You and/or the embassy website are wrong.

7 hours ago, dontpanic said:

Also could someone please clear up what the financial requirements are to apply for the initial 90 day of being a parent of a Thai child, applying from UK.

There is not fixed amount other than 20k baht that is the standard amount needed to apply for any visa.

Under this heading around half way down on this page of the embassy website.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

"Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)"

"Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party"

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

As ubonjoe points out there is no written rule, so I rather suspect that it is either local policy or the opinion of the Officer.

See this in my previous post.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is confusion all the time between extensions related to being the parent of a Thai verses a non Thai child applying for a extension to live with his family that has the limit of 20 years old for them to get the extension.

I am certain this is where it comes from. Officers have confused this in clause 2.18 of the police order with the paragraph for being the parent of a Thai that is for a non Thai child of a person applying for the with the extension based upon being married to or the parent of Thai.

"(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You and/or the embassy website are wrong.

There is not fixed amount other than 20k baht that is the standard amount needed to apply for any visa.

Under this heading around half way down on this page of the embassy website.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

"Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)"

"Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party"

Thank you for your time in responding. I must have been looking at the non Thai child getting an extension. That clears up the financial requirements also.

Out of interest which visa or extension was the £1500 for 3 months needed for financial proof for? Or does it not apply to any and I was reading an incorrect post again, thanks. 

14 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

Out of interest which visa or extension was the £1500 for 3 months needed for financial proof for? Or does it not apply to any and I was reading an incorrect post again, thanks. 

No sure what that might of been for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1