Cricket

I notice you say " the best bowler cricket has ever produced in this century".

Well, 4 and a bit years is a long time :D. Sure helps if u play on doctored sub-continent pitches 70 % of the time and against reserve Zimbabwe teams to boost your test record .

Another Kangaroo..I guess..!

This is always the case when it comes to people who think they are the greatest on this planet simply because they born with white skin. I think people who think like this should pack the bags and go back to their own backyards.

1. We are not responsible for sending a reserve Zimbabwe team to play with us. What makes Zimbabwe to send a reserve team was due to racial discriminations in the team selection and players protesting with each other. But still it was a legal match. After the series, Sri Lankan cricket board officially expressed concerns over playing against B division sides and then ICC took the action not to allow Zimbabwe to play against any other test playing country until they sort out their internal problems.

To remind you, we could not win a single test match mid 1980's..and we were like that B Division Zimbabwe team or now Bangladesh team at that time. We played many many test, one day matches against England, Oz and all other test playing nations during this period. Do you mean now those records your players have at that time against us, also should not consider when evaluating players, country records? Are you drunk or what?

2. You have picked this one series to put down the credit from us and make your teams defeats justifiable. What about beating England and the recent 5-0 whitewash against South Africa? Wonder how you missed that?

Do you mean to say England and South Africa have also sent reserve teams to boost our credits? :o

3. It's a well known excuse to point the finger at cricket pitches in sub continent when ever you guys loose a series. Mind you, when we play in Australia, the pitches we get is totally other way around. It always suit Oz big made fast bowlers to take the maximum advantage of their height against the small made sri lanakan team. But still we manage to draw or loose the match by giving a fight and we never point fingers at your facilities like the way you people.

4. About calling Murali a chuker. ITS BETTER YOU LOOK AT THE SKY AND SPIT.

Reason is, you are implying in the history of Test and one day cricket only 1 Match Referee and 2 Umpires are correct and all other's called great umpires including well respected Dicky Bird, David Shepard and others are all wrong or they were blind..

If this is your point, then all your winning records when these umpires in action also will become questionable and cricket will have only few legal matches where only those 3 officiated. :D

Well the point is this. Murali did not start taking wickets from 450 digit mark upwards. All this started happening after few racial b a s t e r s realize that he is going for the world record and that great Shane Warne is in danger. I truly think it is great to have Shane Warne and Murali playing in the same era of test cricket. Wonderful leggy and an off-spinner.

In our country what ever you people have done against us, no one is telling anything to take any credit from Shane Warne like the way you people are doing.

Just learn to play the game in gentleman's way and let the individuals to perform.

5. Apart from official matches, Murali has also played for Lancashire county in England and has the all time record of taking 14 wickets and also getting awarded as the most valuable player in that year in England.

6. Add to this controversy, in recent ICC award winning ceremony where they presented awards based on last years performance, Murali was nominated in 3 categories and then gave all those awards to Shane Warne despite the fact he played only 6 months and still recorded a lower average than Murali.

Now where that comes to play in your equation? I am not telling Shane Warne not deserve that award. What I am saying is you people are now openly attacking us off the pitch by using your blocking votes.

I believe that I have put down my points above to defend one of the icons in my Country from the few racial bas***s in this forum. So if you are one of them, I am inviting you to reply to my above points saying why you do not agree with what I say, instead don't tell me your records of living in black African , Asian , countries for over 10 years bla bla bla and self-claim that you are not like that or try to change the topic to some other subject to attack me personally with some sweet self imagined stories. :D

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwiz

Do not get me wrong.Skin colour ...I coudn't give two hoots about it. Seems like you are using it as an excuse to defend any critism of your counties' bowler, oh well. Maybe u are Arjuna Ranataunga in retirement...i don't know If skin colour was an issue do u see "people born with whiter skin " critising the likes of Garry Sobers,Clive Lyoyd, Imhran Khan , Kapil Dev ..etc. They were all great players with skin colour not an issue.

The issue with Murahali is that he has a cloud over his head concerning his bowling action.

Yes, you are not responsible for Zimbabwe ( or should we call them Rhodesia since you play the racist card ). Kinda ironic it is a racist ' non- white goverment" to blame for the debaracle with the Zimbabwe team.

Anyways,i am getting off topic. I still believe Warne is a better bowler. Most of his wickets have been taken on fast bowling Aussie pitches , not some sub-continant pitch where cracks appear after lunch on day one .

every time we criticise the darker Asian nations out comes the trump card, RACIST.

Murilie is a chucker, he straightens his arm more than the rules allow.

It's as simple as that.

Call me a RACIST if you like but I thought the rules should be applied to all players EQUALLY

kwiz you can quote all the figures you like but the bloke is a CHEAT

every time we criticise the darker Asian nations out comes the trump card, RACIST.

Murilie is a chucker, he straightens his arm more than the rules allow.

It's as simple as that.

Call me a RACIST if you like but I thought the rules should be applied to all players EQUALLY

kwiz you can quote all the figures you like but the bloke is a CHEAT

This is where you people are playing your cards..

The test Murali did to measure his bowling action entirely carried out with his own request and by Sri Lanka Cricket Board.

ICC never ever requested for such a test nor they have not even paid any of the expenses associated with the tests.

Now what we are asking is, go and do the same test for all bowlers to figure out how much they are bending their arms.

Can you measure degree of bending your arm simply by looking at it?

So what are we talking here about allowable Limits?

For example, before he bowled the Doosra, we did the same kind of testing and he was within the limits. But still you'll called him a chucker coz his bend arm created an optical illusion.

Then came the tests for Doosra delivery and that fell outside the specified limit by 4 degrees. He used this delivery only during recent England series. Now you'll picked that up and slamm his entire record as a chuckker. Is it fair?

Have we measured the degree of bending with Shane Warne, Bret Lee, Mcgrath.. NO.. Then how the ###### anyone determine the degree allowed to bend the arm?

What we think now is, Murali did a mistake by doing those tests going way outside ICC guidelines to prove himself. Instead he should have just played like Shane Warne.

Don't say it's Racist or not. It's Racist. If you talk to Sri Lankan cricket players the dilemma they face while traveling in Australia they will say how Racist the treatments are..

Quite simple to be honest

These are all individual opinions (skin colour one is just ridiculous)

Lets deal in facts.

Murali HAS THE MOST WICKETS.

That makes him the most successfull bowler in the history of the game. And Shane Warne is the second most succesfull.

It dosnt mean either of 'em is the best ever.

Anyway... Ozzies Vs England on Tuesday. Lets see what Grevious Bodily Harmison can do to Ponting and co.....

the good thing about Aussie cricket is that there is always a good player waiting to take over from anyone not performing at the top. There is no way the poms can beat the Aussies.

Hmm....

Care to re-think that statement :D

It wasnt only a win, it was a thrashing :D

England beat Ozzies by 6 wickets, with 5 overs to spare. Cant wait for the Ashes.

McGraph, Gilchrist look to be on there way out

Seriously, you shouldnt underestimate the England side. They BELIEVE they are the best. Today will only strengthen that belief.

You should take a lot of credit. They have copied and tried to emulate you soap dodgers :o

I'd be dissapointed if its 3-1. England (wouldnt be the first time) would have to play beneath there ability.

I think its too early to make informed predictions..

Australia go to India now (where they lost last time) while England to SA. How both fare on those respective tours will determine expectations going into the Ashes

One things for sure, Cricket is at its most competitive state for a good few years, and i, for one, think thats just great!

All credit to the poms for winning. But, one , one day match is just that , think aussies have won the last fifteen against England :o

As for the Ashes, test cricket is a whole different ball game to one dayers . Kinda game where the cream rises to the top and players like Macgrah show thier worth. I always thought he was a classic test stike bowler keeping more suited one day bowlers like Andy Bichel out of the team .

• 1 month later...

CRICKET..

I am reminded of the wonderful speaker John Arlott talking on the radio when the west indies fast bowlers were playing...'They talk of fast bowlers-it is recorded in wisden that a bowler once bowled a ball so fast that it beat the bat, beat the wicketkeeper and in those days there was a long stop too and it beat him.It then went through a gentleman's coat on the boundary and killed a dog.........

And you must bear in mind ;he was only bowling underarm at the time....'

Blonco, sorry, a little slow off the mark . By South Pacific soap dodgers , do u mean the kiwis ? I have no idea about Australias playing schedule.

Oh well, great to see Australia do over the Indians, even though the strokemaker from the Apple Isle had little to do with it. :D Managed to get access to a satelite tv to see some of the last test, what a disgraceful excuse for a pitch . :o A good example of why one certain sub-continent bowler has so many wickets because pitches are prepared this way in that part of the world .

MURALI'S 'DOOSRA' GIVEN GREEN LIGHT

Controversy over 'chucking' could soon become a thing of the past if the International Cricket Council rubber-stamps proposals from the body's cricket committee.

New laws would allow pace bowlers and spinners alike to straighten their arm in delivery by up to 15 degrees, the point at which kinking of the limb is visible to the naked eye.

That would allow Muttiah Muralitharan, the subject of most conjecture on the legality of actions in modern cricket, to reintroduce the controversial doosra into his bowling repertoire.

Spinner Murali has always maintained he cannot straighten his arm fully but came under increasing scrutiny this March when ICC match referee Chris Broad reported his wrong 'un to the world governing body at the end of a Test series with Australia.

The Sri Lankan, who became the most prolific bowler in Test history recently only to be passed by rival Shane Warne, went to some lengths to clear himself, even wearing a cast over his elbow in bowling tests to show he could still spin the ball viciously.

Ironically, he is currently sidelined after shoulder surgery, necessitated by wearing that contraption.

The six-man ICC committee, convened in Dubai, gave their approval to all bowlers kinking their arms by one-sixth of a right angle after technological research revealed even those assumed to have pure actions like South Africa's Shaun Pollock and Australian Glenn McGrath 'throw' to some extent.

More than half of those analysed during the recent ICC Champions Trophy exceeded the current restrictions.

In fact, biomechanics experts showed that plenty of all-time greats broke the limits of five degrees for spinners and 10 for fast bowlers.

However, there are those that claim the new leniency has been designed specifically for Muralitharan with England great Geoff Boycott telling BBC radio: "I think it has been brought in through pressure from Sri Lanka and Muralitharan's supporters to allow him to carry on bowling anything he wants.

"It's a sad day for cricket."

Murali, 32, was found to straighten his elbow to 14 degrees when sending down his doosra, which the ICC banned him from bowling after Broad's report.

The recommendations now need to be approved at the ICC's next board meeting, scheduled for February in Melbourne.

http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/news/s...RICKET_ICC.html

Lillee a chucker says report

07:46 AEST Thu Nov 11 2004

AP - Cricket lovers will be horrified.

Research into bowling deliveries suggests that greats such as Fred Trueman, Dennis Lillee, Richard Hadlee and Curtly Ambrose were "chuckers".

Commissioned by the International Cricket Council to examine the action of Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan, a team of experts and former test stars has recommended a new threshold for bowlers.

The limit involves how far an arm is allowed to straighten immediately before the ball is delivered. If the panel's recommendation is accepted, then Muralitharan - whose action appears illegal because of a birth defect that affects his bowling arm - is in the clear.

Using the current threshold, however, some of the greatest bowlers in the history of the game would have been considered throwers.

To the naked eye, they had almost perfect actions.

But the research panel suggests that, under current criteria, the likes of Trueman, Lillee, Hadlee, Ambrose, Imran Khan and Allan Donald bent their arms too much when bowling.

That means they were throwing, rather than bowling the ball.

Over the decades, cricket has thrown out some obvious "chuckers" such as South Africa's Geoff Griffin and Australia's Ian Meckiff. West Indian fast bowler Charlie Griffith was called by the umpires for his quickest delivery, while England left-arm spinner Tony Lock also was no-balled for his action.

In the 1990s, Muralitharan, Australia's Brett Lee and Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar were no-balled for throwing and ordered to change their actions.

But it would come as a major surprise to learn that the old-time greats could have been called, too, if the same criteria were in force when they played.

"What could possibly be wrong with the actions of these wonderful bowlers," said Angus Fraser, one of the research panel and a bowler who played 46 times for England. "As we soon learned, there was quite a lot wrong."

Spinners are only allowed five degrees of bend, medium pacers seven and a half and fast bowlers 10 degrees. Tests have shown Muralitharan's elbow straightened by 14 degrees when bowling his doosra - a leg-break delivery bowled with an off-break action - and that made it illegal.

But the panel, which also included former test players Aravinda da Silva (Sri Lanka), Tony Lewis (England), Tim May (Australia) and David Richardson (South Africa), is recommending a 15 per cent threshold for all bowlers.

Their proposals were endorsed by a ICC Cricket Committee meeting in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on November 9 and will be debated by the ICC Chief Executives Committee in Melbourne, Australia, in February.

©AAP 2004

I think Lillie did most of his chucking in the changeroom dunny after sinking a few too many brews.

Seriously though, i have no problem with Murali's bowling action and i think it would be silly and do the game harm to go back 10, 20, 30 years to incriminate other bowlers.

Ganguly banned for SA Test series

India captain Sourav Ganguly will miss the Test series against South Africa after being suspended for two matches for allowing a slow over-rate.

Ganguly, just back from injury, was penalised after Saturday's one-off international against Pakistan took an hour longer than scheduled to complete.

International Cricket Council referee Clive Lloyd charged Ganguly with violating the players' code of conduct.

India play two Tests against South Africa, starting in Kanpur on Saturday.

Ganguly has become the first captain to be banned in this way, the International Cricket Council said.

Lloyd conducted a disciplinary hearing on Sunday and found Ganguly guilty of not being able to push his bowlers along to deliver the overs quickly enough in the match, which Pakistan won by six wickets.

Lloyd said in a statement: "The ICC code relating to over-rates needs to be strictly observed and it is important for all the stake holders in the game to have matches finished on time.

"The allotted three and a half hours is ample time to bowl the required 50 overs."

We are talking one-day cricket and he got a ban for Test matches?

From Howard

The Indian cricket board said it would lodge an appeal against the ban.

"We're moving an appeal to the ICC against the ban decision," board president Ranbir Mahendra said.

Captains are usually fined part of their match fees for taking too much time to deliver the overs.

But if the slow over-rate continues than a captain faces suspension.

The ICC said since this was Ganguly's second violation of the code of conduct in the past 12 months which is why the charge was upgraded to a higher level.

He was fined 20% of his match fee, together with Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, for a slow over-rate in a one-day match in Karachi in March.

Ganguly, who missed the last two Tests against Australia with a thigh strain, had only been named in the Test squad on Saturday.

Lloyd also penalised two players for a mid-pitch altercation during the match.

Pakistan batsman Yousuf Youhana was fined 75% of his match fee and Indian pace bowler Irfan Pathan 50%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi...dia/4011111.stm

© BBC MMIV

Zimbabwe tour timeline

The saga surrounding England's cricket tour to Zimbabwe has taken another twist with a number of journalists being refused permission to enter the country to cover the one-day series.

The entire tour could now be in doubt once again. BBC Sport looks back at a controversy which has rumbled on for over a year.

12 Feb 2003: After a two-month controversy, the England and Wales Cricket Board pulls the national team out of a scheduled World Cup fixture in Harare because of fears over player safety.

26 Sept 2003: Lord MacLaurin, chairman of sponsors Vodafone, urges the ECB to scrap the tour, claiming it would damage the image of the England team and his company.

The reputation of the ECB will be tarnished and the fragile unity of the international game will be destabilised

Peter Chingoka (Dec 2003)

10 Dec 2003: Zimbabwe Cricket Union chief Peter Chingoka insists his organisation is "apolitical" and calls on the ECB to honour their commitment to tour.

21 Jan 204: Des Wilson, chairman of the ECB's corporate affairs committee, submits framework document which suggests moral issues should be taken into account when deciding whether tours should take place.

"Can we tour this country knowing what we do about its stance on human rights and the suffering of its people?" he tells The Times.

23 Jan 2004: Foreign Secretary Jack Straw tells the ECB the situation in Zimbabwe is worse than during the 2003 World Cup when England refuased to play there.

25 Jan 2004: ECB chief executive Tim Lamb claims Straw's letter is "tantamount to an instruction" to cancel the trip.

27 Jan 2004: The ZCU e-mails the first-class counties in England to warn them of the financial consequences if the ECB cancels the tour.

"A claim for damages and compensation would run to millions of pounds," says Chingoka.

28 Jan 2004: ICC president Ehsan Mani says: "I think the reality is that England will not tour Zimbabwe in November."

29 Jan 2004: The ECB agrees to defer a decison on the tour until after the ICC's Executive Board meeting in March.

10 Mar 2004: The ECB learns they could face a minimum £1.1m fine and a ban from the ICC if the tour is cancelled. "Touring teams are expected to fulfil their touring obligations," says Mani.

2 Apr 2004: Corporate affairs director John Read says a one-year ban from international cricket could cost England tens of millions of pounds. As far asthe tour is concerned, he adds: "It's a case of damned if we do, and damned if we don't."

20 Apr 2004: Professional Cricketers' Association chief Richard Bevan says the ECB must "take the lead" and not leave a decision on the tour to individual players.

21 Apr 2004: Coach Duncan Fletcher supports Bevan's view, saying: "I think it's very important the ECB deals with the matter and takes it out of the players' hands."

28 Apr 2004: Wilson quits the ECB, having failed to persuade members to take a tough line and adopt his framework document.

He hits out at the ICC, claiming that its "malevolent enforcement of its international tours programme, with draconian and disproportionate penalties, would devastate the English game."

29 Apr 2004: Lamb acknowledges the tour is likely to go ahead, saying the players will go "with heavy hearts".

5 May 2004: Prime Minister Tony Blair reaffirms the government's opposition to the tour, but says they cannot order England not to go.

6 May 2004: ECB officials meet the foreign secretary and Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell for talks. "Sport is not run by politicians and nor should it ever be" they are told.

10 Jun 2004: The ICC decides to suspend Zimbabwe's Test status for the rest of the year, but still expects ther ECB to go ahead with the one-day internationals as scheduled.

1 Jul 2004: Mani reveals the ECB has agreed the tour will take place.

9 Sept 2004: The ECB confirms England will play five one-day matches in Zimbabwe "in the absence of firm instruction from the government not to tour."

I feel that I have a duty to my team-mates to lead the team on this tour

Michael Vaughan (Sept 2004)

19 Sept 2004: Fast bowler Steve Harmison says he will not make the trip. He adds: "I hope nobody questions my commitment. Being part of this team means so much to me."

28 Sept 2004: The England squad for Zimbabwe is named. Andrew Flintoff and Marcus Trescothick are "rested" but Michael Vaughan says he will lead the team and Ashley Giles declines to opt out after being given the option.

29 Sept 2004: Flintoff reveals he would have boycotted the tour if he had not been left out of the squad. "From everything I read and heard, things have got worse in Zimbabwe," he says.

27 Oct 2004: Bevan and ECB official John Carr confirm it is safe for the team to undertake the tour after visiting Harare and Bulawayo to discuss security arrangements.

11 Nov 204: Skipper Vaughan admits: "It's not a tour I'm particularly looking forward to. I'm looking forward to it being over and getting to South Africa for a real tough Test series."

14 Nov 2004: England Test batsman Graham Thorpe accuses the ECB of "bullying" players to make the trip.

15 Nov 2004: The squad sets out for Namibia, where they will play two warm-up matches. Morgan insists: "We go with a clear conscience but with great sympathy for the people of Zimbabwe."

23 Nov: England complete the second of two warm-up matches in Namibia. Shortly afterwards, the BBC and four English newspapers learn their journalists will not be allowed into Zimbabwe to cover the series. The first one-day international starts is due to start in three days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...ket/4013267.stm

Any comments?

Well Paddy you know my thoughts on Zimbabwe, but to restate, we should stay away untill they sort themselves out and I don't just mean cricket.

Ganguly wins appeal against ban

Sourav Ganguly will be able to lead India against South Africa in Calcutta.

The Indian captain has won his appeal against a two-Test ban imposed for time-wasting in a one-day match.

"ICC adjudicator Tim Castle's decision rules in Sourav's favour. The two-Test ban has been quashed," said Indian board secretary Karunakaran Nair.

Castle said: "The circumstances were particularly unusual in this game and a large number of them conspired to cause the delays which occurred."

Ganguly said: "I did not want to miss any more matches. I am thankful to God, to the BCCI officials, my lawyers and Tim Castle. I am looking forward to the next Test match against South Africa."

He becomes the first person successfully to appeal against a ban imposed by the ICC.

Ganguly had taken part in a teleconference with Castle on Thursday, and becomes the first person successfully to appeal against a ban.

He hired top lawyer Siddharth Shankar Ray, a former Indian ambassador to the United States, and said afterwards that he felt the hearing had gone well.

ICC APPEAL HISTORY

1. Andrew Hall LOSES his appeal against a two-Test ban for elbowing Pakistan's Yousuf Youhana (Oct 2003)

2. Shoaib Akhtar LOSES his appeal against a one-Test, two ODI ban for foul and abusive language (Oct 2003)

3. Sourav Ganguly WINS his appeal against a two-Test ban

Ganguly had been punished by match referee Clive Lloyd for his side's slow bowling in a match against Pakistan, also in Calcutta, on 13 November.

He was initially banned for the two Tests against South Africa but allowed to play in the first match, which ended in a draw on Wednesday, because it was deemed unfair to hear the appeal on the morning of the first Test.

Castle, a judge and arbitrator on the Court of Arbitration for Sport, had the power to increase, decrease or amend the penalty or otherwise substitute his own decision for that of Lloyd's.

Ganguly had been fined twice before this year in similar circumstances, in Sydney and Karachi.

His appeal cited frequent hold-ups caused by injuries to players and the ball getting wet because of excessive dew in the day/night match in Calcutta.

India squad for second Test: Sourav Ganguly (Capt), Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Mohammad Kaif, Dinesh Karthik , Irfan Pathan, Ashish Nehra, Zaheer Khan, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik.

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi...dia/4038337.stm