Cricket

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cricket: McGrath takes 8-24 as Australia thrash Pakistan

PERTH - A remarkable eight wicket bag from Australian paceman Glenn McGrath steered his side to a massive 491-run win over Pakistan before lunch on day four of the first cricket test at the WACA Ground.

McGrath took a career-best eight for 24 from 16 overs to bowl Pakistan out for an embarrassing 72 in the last over before lunch.

Only two wickets from Michael Kasprowicz, who finished the match when he took a return catch off with Mohammad Khalil on five, prevented McGrath from taking all 10 wickets.

McGrath, who bowled unchanged through the first session, surpassed his previous career best of eight for 38 against England on the 1997 Ashes tour.

With the victory target of 564 never an option for Pakistan, Australia completed one of the game’s biggest wins to lead the series 1-0.

Kasprowicz ended McGrath’s shot at taking all 10 wickets when he bowled eighth man out Mohammad Sami for two and then jovially apologised to McGrath.

McGrath, 34, said before the match the WACA Ground had not been one of his most productive venues, but that changed when he found himself on a hat-trick after having Abdul Razzaq on one and Inzamam-ul-Haq caught behind in successive balls.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting stacked the cordon with seven slips - including fast bowler Jason Gillespie - to give McGrath every chance of completing the hat-trick, but Pakistan wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal let the next ball pass.

Kamran became McGrath’s sixth victim when he edged to the gully and then top-scorer Yousuf Youhana became victim No 7 when he was caught behind for 27.

Pakistan resumed on one for 18 and Salman Butt and Younis Khan rode their luck early, with a series of nicks that went over the slip cordon.

But McGrath soon had Salman out for nine to a good, low catch at gully by Matthew Hayden and in his next over had Younis caught at slip for 17.

Inzamam came in at No 6 after battling a stomach complaint from yesterday, made a long dawdle to the middle, lasted one ball and then made an even longer dawdle off the ground.

Australian opener Justin Langer was the man of the match for his outstanding double of 191 and 97.

SCOREBOARD

Australia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

by Mark Geenty

Australia wasted little time in stamping their class on New Zealand soil as captain Ricky Ponting and paceman Michael Kasprowicz led them to a 44-run victory in the inaugural Twenty20 cricket international here today.

Before a fizzing Eden Park crowd of 29,317, Ponting smashed an unbeaten 98 off 55 balls and paceman Kasprowicz took four wickets for 29 runs as the tourists opened their tour with a bang.

Having posted a imposing 214 for five off 20 overs, Australia dismissed the hosts for 170 off the final ball, Scott Styris keeping it interesting with 66 off 39 balls that included five fours and three sixes.

The match had a distinctly festival theme, both sides reverting to their 1980s uniforms -- the New Zealanders nearly all sporting towelling hats and excessive facial growth, and Hamish Marshall stealing the show with an outrageous afro/headband combination.

All joking aside, Australia sounded an ominous warning for Saturday's one-day series opener in Wellington as they could afford to rest class acts Matthew Hayden and Jason Gillespie today.

The run chase looked a tough ask for the men in beige from the moment Brett Lee fired down some unplayable 150km/h thunderbolts, then Kasprowicz took wickets with his first two balls.

Captain Stephen Fleming and Brendon McCullum, promoted to open after an unwell Nathan Astle was rested, posted 49 off five overs before Fleming was skittled for 18 by Kasprowicz's first ball.

Mathew Sinclair was caught first ball and quickly it was 67 for three when McCullum went for a promising 36 off 24 balls.

With Craig McMillan and Chris Cairns departing cheaply, both mistiming lofted shots, only Styris put up a fight before Lee uprooted his stumps in the 19th over.

Earlier, Ponting toyed with the New Zealand bowlers as the tourists raced along at 10.7 runs per over.

Walking to the crease at 21 for two in the second over, Ponting cracked eight fours and five sixes including 30 off one Daryl Tuffey over which was boosted by four sixes -- two straight down the ground and two over mid-wicket.

New Zealand openers Tuffey and Kyle Mills made a reasonable start, reducing Australia to 54 for four in the sixth over with dangerous openers Adam Gilchrist and Michael Clarke caught for one and seven respectively.

After Andrew Symonds smashed 32 off 13 balls, Ponting took to Jeff Wilson, including a huge six over mid-wicket as Wilson went for 43 off four overs.

Ponting and Simon Katich added 83 off 56 balls for the fifth wicket before Mike Hussey and Ponting put on an unbroken 77 off 34 balls, Hussey's 31 not out including three sixes.

Mills was the most successful bowler with three for 44 off four overs while Cairns removed Katich for 31 to end with one for 28, by far the most economical return.

:o

Cricket: Crowd behaviour rated among 'worst in world'

By RICHARD BOOCK

Australian cricketer Matthew Hayden described New Zealand's crowds as among the worst in the world after the reception the visitors received at the first one-day international on Saturday night.

Nearly 24 hours after Australia launched the series with a 10-run win at Wellington, Hayden was still fuming over sections of the Cake Tin crowd who spat, hurled rubbish and abused the visiting fieldsmen, twice causing the game to be held up.

"You come to expect it, but I didn't like the way the crowd performed," Hayden said.

"I got spat on. I don't see how that's [acceptable] behaviour. We're here to play entertaining cricket, not to be spat on and have cans thrown at us, or whatever the crowd want to do.

"We've got the two best sides in the world playing against each other and it's ridiculous to think you're going to be physically abused."

Asked whether he thought it was the most hostile environment he'd played in, the Queenslander said: "I think so, yeah. Here and South Africa - and Sydney." :o

By RICHARD BOOCK

Australian cricketer Matthew Hayden described New Zealand's crowds as among the worst in the world after the reception the visitors received at the first one-day international on Saturday night.

Nearly 24 hours after Australia launched the series with a 10-run win at Wellington, Hayden was still fuming over sections of the Cake Tin crowd who spat, hurled rubbish and abused the visiting fieldsmen, twice causing the game to be held up.

"You come to expect it, but I didn't like the way the crowd performed," Hayden said.

"I got spat on. I don't see how that's [acceptable] behaviour. We're here to play entertaining cricket, not to be spat on and have cans thrown at us, or whatever the crowd want to do.

"We've got the two best sides in the world playing against each other and it's ridiculous to think you're going to be physically abused."

Asked whether he thought it was the most hostile environment he'd played in, the Queenslander said: "I think so, yeah. Here and South Africa - and Sydney."   :o

Edited by StuartinBKK

If any Kiwis or Aussies want to listen to almost live radio commentry to the upcomming one dayers and test matches, here is the link.

You must have latest windows media as default or it will just store on your hard drive to listen to later. The commentry is in 15 min increments.

Radiosport

By RICHARD BOOCK

Yes Sydney.....Because half of Noo Zeland lives there and they behave like grubs when there are NZ teams playing against Australia.  Good flogging you got last night too!!!! :D  :D

Asked whether he thought it was the most hostile environment he'd played in, the Queenslander said: "I think so, yeah. Here and South Africa - and Sydney."  :o

If any Kiwis or Aussies want to listen to almost live radio commentry to the upcomming one dayers and test matches, here is the link.

You must have latest windows media as default or it will just store on your hard drive to listen to later. The commentry is in 15 min increments.

Radiosport

I seem to remember being at that game, eden park about 1983 or 4 from memory matthews hit a six out of the ground right over the stand and into car park

Radiosport

I seem to remember being at that game, eden park about 1983 or 4 from memory matthews hit a six out of the ground right over the stand and into car park

Bronc, as mush as I used to enjoy Greg mathews...he couldn't hit the skin off a custard.It would have been lance Cains.Remember the 6x sixs he hit at the MCG....and one of them with one hand. :o (Off Greg lawson or Rodney Hogg)

By RICHARD BOOCK

Yes Sydney.....Because half of Noo Zeland lives there and they behave like grubs when there are NZ teams playing against Australia.  Good flogging you got last night too!!!! :D  :D

Asked whether he thought it was the most hostile environment he'd played in, the Queenslander said: "I think so, yeah. Here and South Africa - and Sydney."   :D

I'll admit to the flogging, but the Kiwis will tell you that the Aussie crowds are as bad as anywhere (Always a selected few!) You can't blame that on the kiwis in the crowd in Aussie.We are all peace loving and have respect for everybody :o

Even though I am an Aussie, I remember 15-20 years ago  at the MCG, SCG,WACA..... even Bellerive Oval ...."Hadlees  a ###### "  very Aussie unsportsman like...or was he really a tosser?  :o

Great bowler...a real dry balls though.Chanting Hadlees a w.anker is fine, it's only when these stupid pricks step over the line and spit and throw things.....

Jesus Bronc....we let you in to stay? :D:D

I think Boonie was in that team as well.They used to stay at the Sheraton Hotel.Myself and a few of our mates used to drink at the Sheraton because they had a genuine half price two hour "Happy hour".Half the aussie team came in for a drink.I don't know how it happened,but one David Boon ended up with us drinking...all night!!

When most of the team had retired for the night, the Aussie vice capt. (Ray bright) came in and said to Boonie...enough..time to go.Boonie told him to bugger off and gave him the fingers when he turned his back.we all got slaughted!

Aussie played Auckland as a warm up game the next day.Boonie opened the batting and scored something like 50 of 50 balls......I could hardly talk next morning, yet he went out and must have been seeing the ball like a water melon. :o Unbelievable!

Chuchok, great story :o The great keg on legs with the moe and, more importantly, the cut shot or straight drive from ###### . I used to see him around Hobart a few years ago, now a bank manager . Have a statue of him outside Bellerive oval.

The days of hard boozing, larikan cricketers are a memory, unfortunatly:(

I was at a function with Doug Walters, where he got blind, almost carried out, made a 100 against India the next day. Other great (during match) boozers include Ian Botham, David Bairstow, I.M. Chappell. Any other nominations ?

P.S. Couldn't see Spotty Bright as Vice Captain, what tour was that ?

I was at a function with Doug Walters, where he got blind, almost carried out, made a 100 against India the next day.  Other great (during match) boozers include Ian Botham, David Bairstow, I.M. Chappell.  Any other nominations ?

P.S.  Couldn't see Spotty Bright as Vice Captain, what tour was that ?

Can't remember the year,(Early 90's maybe) but AB was Capt. As we were entering the Hotel, saw AB getting in a car with a very, very attractive blonde.One of my mates called out."hey Allan how's the wife and kids"...he just replied with a very Cheshire cat like grin. :o

I think the Mou from Victoria... Merv deserves a nomination. I don't have any facts... but the belly reveals alot.

Like him or hate him,i think Warney is the last survivor of the pisshead Aussie cricketer era. The rest are great players but spend more time in the gym than the pub :o

• 2 weeks later...
Even though I am an Aussie, I remember 15-20 years ago  at the MCG, SCG,WACA..... even Bellerive Oval ...."Hadlees  a ###### "  very Aussie unsportsman like...or was he really a tosser?  :o

Great bowler...a real dry balls though.Chanting Hadlees a w.anker is fine, it's only when these stupid pricks step over the line and spit and throw things.....

And they were his team mates!!! :D

Some great cricket sledges from days gone by!!

>

> 1. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham:

>

> When Botham took guard in an Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the wicket

> with the immortal words: "So how's your wife & my kids?"

>

>

> 2. Daryll Cullinan & Shane Warne:

>

> As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been

> waiting 2 years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent

> it eating," Cullinan retorted.

>

>

> 3. Glenn McGrath & Eddo Brandes:

>

> After Brandes played & missed at a McGrath delivery, the Aussie bowler

> politely enquired:

>

> "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?"

>

> "Cos every time I <deleted> your wife she gives me a biscuit," Brandes replied.

>

>

> 4. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:

>

> During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he played & missed: "You

> can't f**king bat".

>

> Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the boundary: "Hey Merv, we make a

> fine pair. I can't f**king bat & you can't f**king bowl."

>

>

> 5. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:

>

> During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus conductor.

>

> A few balls latter Merv dismissed Javed: "Tickets please", Merv called out

> as he ran past the departing batsman.

>

>

> 6. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:

>

> During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn't say a word to Viv,

> but

> continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my island, my

> culture.

> Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl."

>

> Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman:

> "In my culture we just say <deleted> off."

>

>

> 7. Ricky Ponting & Shaun Pollock:

>

> After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries, Pollock

> told

> Ponting: "It's red, round & weighs about 5 ounces."

>

> Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the ground.

> Ponting to Pollock: "you know what it looks like, now go find it."

>

>

>

> 8. And of course you can't forget Ian Healy's legendary comment which

> was picked up by the Channel microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga called for

> a

> runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney... "You

> don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat c**t!!!"

>

>

>

> 9. Can't remember the player or the exact details but went something

> like Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player to the crease

> playing & missing the first ball. Mark - "Ohh, I remember you from a

> couple

> years ago in Australia. You were sh*t then; you're f**king useless now".

>

> Kiwi - (Turning around) - "Yeah, that's me & when I was there you were

> going

> out with that old, ugly sl*t & now I hear you've married her. You dumb

> c**t".

>

And the way I saw Boonie at the pub chugging them back..I believe it's true. marshy was also known as a piss head, but what orrstraaalin isn't. :D

Snoophound..those are classics. Esp the Eddie Brands one :D